Calling Lanes, Que Dodging, 3 year olds, and why Riot should take a stance

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Goodguy Hopper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf 67 View Post
Extremely unrealistic examples don't make a point. They just detract from legitimate discussion and create needless conflict. In fact they usually detract from your point because it makes it appear as if you can't make your point with real numbers, so instead you rely on blatant hyperbole to make up for that.

Example:

Realistic:

Darius q at level 1 can deal 105 base damage with a bonus AD ratio greater than 1, meaning he can hit for over 120 damage and proc his passive for another 15 or so. This damage seems very high for an easy to land AoE ability with a reasonably large range.

Extreme:

Darius q hits for half my hp at level 1 even though I start with 50 armour. I can't even go close to any creeps to cs because his q hits me halfway across the lane.

Which example better makes the point that Darius has very high damage at early levels?

Note how I presented a realistic and plausible example, and you responded with an extremely unrealistic example. Then when I call you on that, you say it was just meant to make a point.
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I didn't see where you had edited this post until just now.

Your example sets a poor tone for this because it centers around what is intended to be a statement of facts rather than an opinion the could be contended. Obviously the extreme example is widely off the mark so much so that it is provably not true (we all know it doesn't hit half way across the lane, and that this would be a wild exaggeration of its range)

When you are working through any theoretical (or opinion based) problem in which your hypothesis may or may not be true it is best to start with a broad example that demonstrates the capacity for it to be a true statement.

Us talking out queue dodging and pick order/calling roles in ranked games is a heavily opinion based topic, and so I naturally use tip of the bell curve examples to demonstrate a capacity for truth. When you wanted something more specific I was happy to accommodate you, but it did take a moment of effort on my part so you can not expect me to come up with it on the fly. Such examples do take some time and do make for a bit of a disjointed conversation.

At any rate I am starting to ramble, sorry about that.

Opps almost forgot,
The point behind hyperbole is that it is blatant, and is not meant to be taken literally.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Goodguy Hopper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-09-2013

Bump for red


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hitro

Senior Member

01-09-2013

So then the ones with the lower rank will forever be forced to play positions they A. either hate/ cant play or B. always get low amounts of kills keeping them low.

Your just forcing certain people to have an higher advantage than the others and keeping the ones with a low advantage down there.

Communication is key or just break the fricken meta.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Goodguy Hopper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitro View Post
So then the ones with the lower rank will forever be forced to play positions they A. either hate/ cant play or B. always get low amounts of kills keeping them low.

Your just forcing certain people to have an higher advantage than the others and keeping the ones with a low advantage down there.

Communication is key or just break the fricken meta.
i am not understanding how you arrived at this conclusion.

I mean if you got paired with the same people every time you would probably end up playing the same position, but you will get shuffled around from match to match being anywhere from the 1st to 5th pick.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hitro

Senior Member

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Riel View Post
i am not understanding how you arrived at this conclusion.

I mean if you got paired with the same people every time you would probably end up playing the same position, but you will get shuffled around from match to match being anywhere from the 1st to 5th pick.
If the people generally move up ( assuming they are not a troll) they will most likely play with people who are better than them, and regardless forcing a person to play a position they cant play is not smart for anyone. Calling roles allows others to know where everyone else is good at, and if there is a dispute, someone can be the bigger man or they can both go there ( for something like mid)

having 100 more ( dont remeber the range) elo or hidden ranking doesnt really stand for alot if it was like a plat and a 800 elo i would be more swayedto give it to them.

my thing sounds confusing >.>


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Goodguy Hopper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitro View Post
If the people generally move up ( assuming they are not a troll) they will most likely play with people who are better than them, and regardless forcing a person to play a position they cant play is not smart for anyone. Calling roles allows others to know where everyone else is good at, and if there is a dispute, someone can be the bigger man or they can both go there ( for something like mid)

having 100 more ( dont remeber the range) elo or hidden ranking doesnt really stand for alot if it was like a plat and a 800 elo i would be more swayedto give it to them.

my thing sounds confusing >.>
Yes, but every time you re-queue you get paired with 4 other random people around your ranks, so even if you continually ranked up you would get randomly seated 1st through 5th.

Also the idea is not to completely eliminate players from asking for a position, but rather to settle disputes by setting a clear position on who can take what role. Riot saying pick order takes precedence won't stop people for asking for certain positions, but it will make it clear who is in the wrong in the event of a dispute.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hitro

Senior Member

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Riel View Post
Yes, but every time you re-queue you get paired with 4 other random people around your ranks, so even if you continually ranked up you would get randomly seated 1st through 5th.

Also the idea is not to completely eliminate players from asking for a position, but rather to settle disputes by setting a clear position on who can take what role. Riot saying pick order takes precedence won't stop people for asking for certain positions, but it will make it clear who is in the wrong in the event of a dispute.
Fair enough though i dont recall the exact numbers of how low and how much higher. link?

still it doesnt seem very fair to force someone into a position they cant play because no will allow them to break the meta with out instaban


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Roidrage22

Senior Member

01-09-2013

Tldr


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hitro

Senior Member

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roidrage22 View Post
Tldr
dont be lazy.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ToxicRatt

Senior Member

01-09-2013

Keeping it up so maybe a RED WILL RESPOND!