Calling Lanes, Que Dodging, 3 year olds, and why Riot should take a stance

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zarthorn

01-05-2013

I hate queue dodging but I know the horrible feeling of both sides of the coin.

For the most I usually go by rule of thumb Highest person in the pick order has the highest Elo therefore they are the one most likely to carry the team.

I try to work with other players, but sometimes you come across some extremely uncompromising individual that despite being lower in the pick order will not state a preference other than one champion and one champion only, you try to tell them "listen it goes by pick order normally, what roles can you play?" they will just continue to bray like a spoiled child and even lock the champ even if you locked a better pick for the team (in my case today I had picked Elise whom is FAR superior to Darius, the person that kept saying Darius wouldn't pick anyone else and locked in Darius anyway).

In those instances I cannot help but feel the need to dodge, I just know that the player that is behaving like a spoiled child is going to lose their lane hard because they have the makings of it right from champ select (rude, uncompromising, unwilling) and then they will likely start swearing and shouting at the rest of the team....

So why should we have to play with players like this?

Goodguy Hopper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaldron View Post
inb4 spell queue right
little late XD

Coaches

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Moonray View Post
What I don't understand is why they aren't collecting data on a player's preferred roles, and their performance with said roles, then using that data to improve matchmaking. The only downside I can see to such a system is that it might trap players in "Support Hell", a state in which they have been forced into a role so much that the system is now reinforcing that.

Or, y'know, Riot could work on balance more to make Supports either less necessary or not such a miserable role.

Or, even less likely, players could stop treating the support like sh*t and blaming them for losses.
I've never heard of anyone blaming the support for a loss... The jungler yes but the support role is sooo boring for most. Some like it but most don't

Goodguy Hopper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaches View Post
I've never heard of anyone blaming the support for a loss... The jungler yes but the support role is sooo boring for most. Some like it but most don't
It's actually more irritating the lower rank you are because you're success in lane is a cooperative effort, with an adc who may or may not be good.

asdfghjkl 7

01-05-2013

Queue dodging because you don't like someone's lolking stats is stupid. I don't want to spend 30 minutes trying to get into a queue because someone on our team has a bad win ratio with the champ they picked.

LoLking stats can be highly misleading about how well someone plays a champ. What if I played 2 games with Skarner at the beginning of a season, do badly with him, and realize I need to practice with him more. Several months later, I have played 50 normals with Skarner, so I play another ranked. I am playing him in the jungle hampion in the jungle, but my top laner is dc'd, forcing me top go top and lane against a Darius, who counters me extremely hard. As a result, my score is bad as I can't win my lane and am not likely to succeed in teamfights since we're 5v4.

The next game, when I want to play Skarner again, someone check my lolking and says "This guy is awful with Skarner, he's lost 3 games, has a bad KDA and fed with him again last game. Better dodge him.

Solo queue is about your ability to play well and win games. It is not about researching your teamates and spending hours getting a matchup you think you will win. And I don't want to sit through champ select 10 times in a row because people like you will dodge if they think there is anything wrong at all with someone picks, bans, teamcomps, match history or stats on lolking.

Goodguy Hopper

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf 67 View Post
Queue dodging because you don't like someone's lolking stats is stupid. I don't want to spend 30 minutes trying to get into a queue because someone on our team has a bad win ratio with the champ they picked.

LoLking stats can be highly misleading about how well someone plays a champ. What if I played 2 games with Skarner at the beginning of a season, do badly with him, and realize I need to practice with him more. Several months later, I have played 50 normals with Skarner, so I play another ranked. I am playing him in the jungle hampion in the jungle, but my top laner is dc'd, forcing me top go top and lane against a Darius, who counters me extremely hard. As a result, my score is bad as I can't win my lane and am not likely to succeed in teamfights since we're 5v4.

The next game, when I want to play Skarner again, someone check my lolking and says "This guy is awful with Skarner, he's lost 3 games, has a bad KDA and fed with him again last game. Better dodge him.

Solo queue is about your ability to play well and win games. It is not about researching your teamates and spending hours getting a matchup you think you will win. And I don't want to sit through champ select 10 times in a row because people like you will dodge if they think there is anything wrong at all with someone picks, bans, teamcomps, match history or stats on lolking.
I think you miss understand how to read data. When you have a very small sample size say 3 games it is really hard to make any deductions about that player playing that champion.

But if you looked up a player who went .01 in 30 games, you could probably make some deductions.

asdfghjkl 7

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Riel View Post
I think you miss understand how to read data. When you have a very small sample size say 3 games it is really hard to make any deductions about that player playing that champion.

But if you looked up a player who went .01 in 30 games, you could probably make some deductions.
I think you don't understand players in this game. Lots of players will look at that small amount of data and decide that they should dodge you. Regardless of that specific situation are you going to be happy sitting through 5+ lobbies for every game? Because by the time you find a game where you like the stats of everyone on your team, what do you think the odds are that no one on the other team will want to dodge.

I'm not saying there are never situations where it's a good idea to dodge, but the game is about playing the best you can with the team you're given, not cherry picking a great team so you're guaranteed a win.

EDIT: And as for misunderstanding data, try explaining how you could have a 0.01 win ratio with 30 games played.

Aran888888

01-05-2013

My stance on this is that both are ****ed.

Pick order should be like this. Support first. Jungle second. Top third. Mid fourth. ADC last.

Therefore, counterpicking becomes minimal. Or just make it so you can queue with champions for a certain role.

By the way, im ADD, and i read that.

Goodguy Hopper

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple leaf 67 View Post
i think you don't understand players in this game. Lots of players will look at that small amount of data and decide that they should dodge you. Regardless of that specific situation are you going to be happy sitting through 5+ lobbies for every game? Because by the time you find a game where you like the stats of everyone on your team, what do you think the odds are that no one on the other team will want to dodge.

I'm not saying there are never situations where it's a good idea to dodge, but the game is about playing the best you can with the team you're given, not cherry picking a great team so you're guaranteed a win.

Edit: And as for misunderstanding data, try explaining how you could have a 0.01 win ratio with 30 games played.
.01 kda

asdfghjkl 7

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Riel View Post
.01 kda
I challenge you to find anyone who has a ranked KDA of 0.01.