Advice to controlling rage?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheShingle

03-22-2013

Sup guys, I'm just wondering if any of you have some advice in controlling rage in-game.

Personally I find I don't have rage so much vs my team, as against the other team. I find it extremely difficult to keep myself 100% under control when say, someone on the other team says something I interpret as cocky or arrogant. Even if there is a mute button and I know i should use it, I just feel the need to respond which can escalate. I also tend to get andry when I'm being successfully camped or am playing really badly and I just feel like quitting the game (I don't but I get angry and it results in negativity as well as me not playing to my potential.)

Anybody have any suggestions on how to keep everything cool, calm and collected? I really want to get this under control so I play better and don't run the risk of losing my temper.

(for the record I play pretty much only ranked games when I'm by myself and am currently trying to climb the ladder in gold)

Edit: i started muting the whole enemy team every game, and I've been seeing alot of success in not raging. Thanks alot for your tips so far guys!

Kakyoin Noriaki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2013

Yell at your screen out loud instead of at your allies/enemies in game.

Dutchhh

03-22-2013

Kick your dog

CrazzyCanucK

03-22-2013

Therapy ??

Jman650

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2013

i know it sounds stupid and everyone says it

but really

count to 10 and breathe deeply

also, avoid screaming in rage or punching things. it's only temporary catharsis and in the long run it just makes you more stressed out.

I See Stars

03-22-2013

I get in a Skype call and yell at completely innocent people.

Quadrakill Amumu

03-22-2013

Unlike your teammates, you don't have to communicate with your opponents. The /all chat is off by default for good reasons.

Diddle Me Then

03-22-2013

Speak broken english. Probably one of the best things to shut people up. I often find that saying things that have no relation to what they've just said, nor make any sense anyhow, often leave people stumped at how the hell to respond.

"Get DUNKED noob!"
"HEIMER TURET UR BUTT"
"...what?"

zliplus

03-22-2013

Remember that the other players are real people, and that most people are the same (i.e. they're not so different from you). Presumably you don't go around thinking that all the people you deal with in 'real life' are idiots.

Since you specify the enemy team, there is a game option to disable all-chat. This is a good idea if you have trouble with opponents, since gamesmanship (psychology wars) is a concern.

Dahkra

03-22-2013

Turn of all chat. What purpose does it even serve?