Why we hate Elo-Hell believers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Deveyes

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagear View Post
its not about contesting that argument, its about accepting it.

the simple fact is if u spent half the time/effort that u put into blaming ur teammates and finding reasons to get angry at them, or finding clever arguments for why its other peoples fault for ur elo not being where u want it to be, and redirected that effort into looking at urself, and making sure u play better then u did last time, every game, i promise u, u will start to get better (even better then u r now), u will start to win more games, u will start to get elo, and u will feel better about solo q. u will feel better about this game. u will feel better about urself.

no one here is saying u r not good enough to get higher elo. people are simply stating that blaming ur teammates will NOT get u more elo. accepting responsibility for ur elo however WILL get u more elo.

if u want i can link u all the rage/QQ/elo hell threads that i myself posted and used to genuinely believe and where i raged and foamed at the mouth and *****ed at riot endlessly about how solo queue was broken and that it needed fixed, i will. but guess what? when i stopped posting those threads and just focused on my personal contribution to the team everytime, my elo skyrocketed. im telling u the same thing can happen for u.
well see I can agree with you then. I just make these statements since there is an idea of what elo hell actually is.

I just think its kinda upsetting when i see threads with names like this who have no positive feedback.

I think elo hell exists as a very difficult barrier. A black cloud around that 1200-1400 area thats difficult to surpass.

Larrythetapist

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheŠevice View Post
well see I can agree with you then. I just make these statements since there is an idea of what elo hell actually is.

I just think its kinda upsetting when i see threads with names like this who have no positive feedback.

I think elo hell exists as a very difficult barrier. A black cloud around that 1200-1400 area thats difficult to surpass.

You broke the 69 posts barrier!!!

omg you are now cursed to be forever alone

Thelohel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2012

Quote:

People come to this forum and argue left and right about elo hell while missing this one important factor. You can get out. No ones saying its easy or that you won't get feeders.. only that you CAN escape.

ninjagear

12-26-2012

Quote:
...elo hell exists as a very difficult barrier. A black cloud around that 1200-1400 area thats difficult to surpass.
/facepalm

nvm bro enjoy hell

Deveyes

12-26-2012

Quote:
/facepalm

nvm bro enjoy hell
lol i just agreed with you. I'm not saying elo hell is inescapable. I'm saying it'd difficult to. And a little luck can go a long way. LoL. That's all im saying. There is a bad warped magnetic cloud around that elo range. People i'm sure would agree. I'm not saying it's impossible to get through, im saying its not easy. And a little acknowledgement of that fact could ease players frustration saying "hey man.. yeah. Its true there is an elo hell but its not impossible to get through." That's all.

Like, IDK what more to say. I would think someone who has been through that and gotten out you'd have more sympathy and encouragement for those trying to get through it now. But whatevs.

thelohel I believe you're right man.

I just don't like threads like these. And if anyone really has such a lack of empathy for those struggling, why even bother posting stuff like this as a thread? Why hate? Do you spend your time finding elo hell rant threads all day just to get mad? lol. Why spend the time if you're not even trying to throw some positive stuff out there?

ninjagear

12-26-2012

Quote:
i just agreed with you
no, u didnt agree with me. im telling u that elo hell is a figment of ur imagination. its all in ur head. u act like the game will get easier as u climb elo. no, the game gets harder. u act like ur teammates r going to stop making game breaking mistakes. no, ur teammates r always going to make mistakes. u act like there is a magic place where u can be happy, and its just a little above ur elo, just a little and if u get a little higher u can start playing with people of ur skill. NO.

right now u play with people ur skill level. right now u make just as many game breaking mistakes as anyone else on ur team. and if u arent happy with urself, it doesnt matter how much elo u get, ur still going to be unhappy.

the simple fact of the matter is u r using ur teammates mistakes as an excuse to keep making ur own mistakes. and its those mistakes that are holding u back. its like selcopa said. if ur so good, then post a replay, prove it. but u wont, cause u know if u do that, we will prove how bad u r and that will crush the little world u built up around urself.

Equi

12-26-2012

ELO hell does exist.
So bad im actually creating a list of people to avoid, im also looking currently to see how many players would like a hold of this list.

xxXxxTheAmazing

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiichi View Post
unfortunately tho, elo hell exists, and if you doubt it, plummit your elo to 700 and tell me if you can make it back up to what you call "average".

Heres how I know elo hell exists:

1)90% of my games have 1 person that dies 10 times or more, even if we win. Thats not a problem.
2) I win 80% of the games where there is only 1 kid going heavy negative, I dont carry every game, but I keep the team together and we push on.
3) I had a 33% win rate in season 2. Vastly different from what I just said, heres the deal:

Most games there are at least 2 people going heavy negative, usually 3. Usually all 4 of my teammates believe they are unjustly in ELO Hell. Not hard to imagine why, probably like me, they see all the feeders, and instead of recignising their negative score, they push the blame on others.

This leads to a simple problem, you find a bunch of feeders, with no concept of the game, running around thinking they are better than everyone else, solo pushing, refusing to work as a team because they know better. If a gold player was placing, and had a bunch of games with these people, they can just as easily lose and end up in the lower elo. In fact, now that we have the borders, I see Gold borders in my 1100 elo games ALL the time, and they tell me the same thing, feeders in placement, feeders most games, now their elo will not rise above the 1200 "average" player mark.

That is elo hell, you need to be able to carry a 1200 elo team of feeders to escape it, which would mean you would need to be better than Gold to get out of it. And if you believe 1200 elo to be average, my friend, you are not competitive enough, I concider being at 1200 to be a failure, and im quite frustraited with my inablility to carry the 1200 elo feeders I deal with daily.

Now dont get me wrong, there are plenty of decent players at 1200 elo, but unfortunately there are alot more feeders that had someone from Gold carry them thru games to get 1200 elo. Big problem, because now elo is not a reprisentation of YOUR skill, but rather your LUCK in getting good teammates. I have a simple solution for this problem that noone seems to like, maybe I just dont explain it properly, but here goes:

Calculate your elo loss/gain based on in game stats. eg: your support, your elo is based on: K/A vs Death ratios. you go 0-5-35, you get loss protection because you were in fights, and didnt feed, congratz. Lets say your an ADC and you go, iuno, 12-10-8. 12 kills, bravo, 10 deaths, tisk tisk. but 8 assists, so your ratio is 2:1, not bad. now lets say you go jungle, and your not that great, and you die in alot of ganks... and go i dunno 1-15-10, now you have contributed to 11 kills but died 15 times, you are NOT helpful. so you take a elo hit. This system accomplishes 2 things:

1) make elo represent how you do in matches
2) discourage dying, while not encouraging KS'ing cuz kills/assists have the same value. Less feeders, better games. Feeders drop elo faster, those who dont feed, hold on to their elo better even if they are in elo hell.

let me know what you think, I hope I showed you why elo hell exists and why it is such a big problem.
you didn't because there are 4 spots on your team and 5 on the enemies. Therefore, the idiots are 11% more likely to be on the enemy team. So in reality, the system benefits you.

Thelohel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2012

Quote:
no, u didnt agree with me. im telling u that elo hell is a figment of ur imagination. its all in ur head. u act like the game will get easier as u climb elo. no, the game gets harder. u act like ur teammates r going to stop making game breaking mistakes. no, ur teammates r always going to make mistakes. u act like there is a magic place where u can be happy, and its just a little above ur elo, just a little and if u get a little higher u can start playing with people of ur skill. NO.

right now u play with people ur skill level. right now u make just as many game breaking mistakes as anyone else on ur team. and if u arent happy with urself, it doesnt matter how much elo u get, ur still going to be unhappy.

the simple fact of the matter is u r using ur teammates mistakes as an excuse to keep making ur own mistakes. and its those mistakes that are holding u back. its like selcopa said. if ur so good, then post a replay, prove it. but u wont, cause u know if u do that, we will prove how bad u r and that will crush the little world u built up around urself.
I agree with you to a point here ninja. While most games can be won, even if a teammate is playing exceedingly poorly, I wouldn't say that 'elo hell' is entirely fictitious. The lower you get in elo, the more likely you are, in my opinion, to encounter players who go above and beyond to spoil the game. This isn't to say that it doesn't happen at higher elos or that higher elo is easier to win, just that having people like that on either team makes the game less fun.

A fair challenge is fun. Having an opponent who just runs into your team in spite of his own isn't really a fun game..

Selcopa

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelohel View Post
I agree with you to a point here ninja. While most games can be won, even if a teammate is playing exceedingly poorly, I wouldn't say that 'elo hell' is entirely fictitious. The lower you get in elo, the more likely you are, in my opinion, to encounter players who go above and beyond to spoil the game. This isn't to say that it doesn't happen at higher elos or that higher elo is easier to win, just that having people like that on either team makes the game less fun.

A fair challenge is fun. Having an opponent who just runs into your team in spite of his own isn't really a fun game..
Having played many games at 1900+ and many games at 600-900 I can safely say more people with throw a game because they don't like a player at 1900+ than between 600-900