Matchmaking and ELO

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Coccada

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

12-22-2012

I think about it for some time already, but couldn't find some solution for the problems until now.

I will give an extreme case to show you the problem we got with the actual system.
- A team with 5 main solo top (average 2k ELO), will need to sacrifice their skills to fulfill other roles. This means this team won't be anything close to 2k ELO average, but way below, and be at disavantage against other teams of same ELO...

A player with 2500 ELO playing most of games AP carry, don't have the same skills for Support, which has 3 games total.
Knowing this problem, we need separated ELOs, for each role of the most common meta.

But only this wouldn't solve any problem. The matchmaker should be modified too.
Players should be able to choice what roles they want to play (1 to 5 checkboxes) and use weighted average of ELOs to define his ELO for that match.
If the player wants to play Solo top and AP carry only, use his ELOs from these roles to define his ELO and find a match.

This way, matchmaker can find ideal teams for each player, based on what the player wants to play, not putting 2 junglers only at same team for example.
Make a choice option too about the meta. Ask if the player wants to play the common meta or don't care. Don't punish those who wants to try anything different, but don't punish either those who don't want to try it.

Ah, it's important to show what roles each player selected, to help organization.
Give the chance of reporting at champion select, and make it banable to troll team formation.

I really hope you consider this, because I really believe many trolls exist because they can't play what they really want, making it bad for his team.
This can show players what roles they play better too, and decide about eficiency or fun without troubling other players.

Thanks for your attention.

Frost Unit

12-24-2012

Considering the fact that Riot hasn't even responded to 99% of the posts about this issue, and the fact that thousands of threads were made regarding this exact issue, I doubt they'll do anything about it. I guess they refuse to acknowledge that there are flaws....

Real Higga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-24-2012

Thats absolute bull **** Snipe... sorry but Riot should give a damn, they want the game to be successful.

im not too familiar with how 2k elo matchmaking is like but what i can tell you is about 1400 and under.....
From a personal experience, i have been able to hit 1380 roughly like 3-4 times. I recently dropped to sub 1250 due to basically the matchmaking system.

My issue with the matchmaking system from the beginning is how lucky people can get or unlucky since everyone starts at 1200 ELO. You never know who you are going to get it could be someone brand new to the game or an experienced smurf, which ruins the competitive game play. My suggestion is to make the rating system start at 0. Another problem i see is facing team with a higher average ELO but i lose the same amount of points as if i lost to a team that had a average ELO of less than mine. Why am i being punished for losing to people who are better than me :/

Coccada i believe your suggestions for forcing people into roles they are good at, takes away the strategy of picking teams while people are drafting, so they prolly will not do that since i feel like that has been a tradition to league of legends for people being able to play a different role to take advantage of a champion or simply to attempt to carry with that champion. I do not believe you can compare it to World of Warcrafts dungeon system where people are effectively forced into a role.

I feel like players shouldnt be punished harshly if they lose, it should depend on average ELO of the people you are playing against as well as other factors like maybe the difference in gold and how close of a match it was, which im sure is hard to implement

thats my 2 cents!

lFalse Kingl

12-24-2012

It's too random. Elo is as good as the team you get set in and clearly, the teams you get put in will play below average majority of the time while the system wont be able to realize this. It needs to be based on individual skills, just as it is in chess or remove it from this game. You can't be put with random variables and call that skill nor team skill. It's not skill because it doesn't determine whether you're good or not. It is also not team skill since the players are random and you get judge by their performance mixed with yours.

Coccada

Senior Recruiter

12-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Higga View Post
Coccada i believe your suggestions for forcing people into roles they are good at, takes away the strategy of picking teams while people are drafting, so they prolly will not do that since i feel like that has been a tradition to league of legends for people being able to play a different role to take advantage of a champion or simply to attempt to carry with that champion. I do not believe you can compare it to World of Warcrafts dungeon system where people are effectively forced into a role.

I feel like players shouldnt be punished harshly if they lose, it should depend on average ELO of the people you are playing against as well as other factors like maybe the difference in gold and how close of a match it was, which im sure is hard to implement

thats my 2 cents!
No, it's not forcing players into roles, beccause I suggested too a checkbox asking if the player wants to play the most common meta (1 top, 1 jungler, 1 mid, 1 adc and 1 support). If the player wants to try something else, or dont care about his team trying it, just check the "don't care" and the team arranges how they want.

My point is: I was watching Xpecial stream today, and his main role is support. Sometimes anyone else picked support, and he needed to play another role. But do you think he plays jungle as good as he plays support? That's why we should have this option. And if you wanna try something different, you don't punish your team for that.