Terrible Banning Strategies

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HaxMuffin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2012

How come most of the time, when people have first pick, they don't use strategy at all to try to get a really good champion that is usually banned? Instead, they usually instaban Blitzcrank/Shen or someone of the sort instead of making non-mainstreamed bans, forcing a mainstream ban to not even be banned and to be able to be picked.

YAY FOR ME PROBABLY MAKING NO SENSE!

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-21-2012

If I'm first pick and I don't own Shen or don't know how to play Shen or I'm not playing a role that Shen goes in, I'm banning him. I'm not going to leave him unbanned and let the enemy team pick him up.

However, I'm first pick and I'm playing say support, I love playing Alistar, and I never ban him if I'm support and team captain. I force the enemy to ban him.

Charcole

12-22-2012

I know what you mean, if I'm first pick I tend to do a ban on people that can snowball or roam like TF/Rengar so it forces the enemy to mainstream ban (shen/malph/ali/blitz) and usually ali/blitz are the ones left not banned so I pick them up first pick. The good news is that since champions are coming out about as fast Hanson members, pretty soon you can pick whoever you want because 6 bans on the 100++ champions is negligible. I foresee Riot allowing 5 bans per team within a year.

King Kappa

12-22-2012

Shen's backdoor capabilities and map control are insanely strong. That shield on an ad carry into a gank in bot lane can EASILY mean a turret, buff and dragon as well as a double or even triple kill if their jungler comes to gank. Shen is a monster.

Blitz's invade level 1 almost always leads to a first blood, if it doesn't they're not good at blitz. His roaming capabilities are almost unparalleled due to his speed boost and he's one of the top aggressive lanes, comparable to a kill lane except he doesn't take farm. Late game a well aimed blitz pull on a squishy can mean an ace. Blitz is a good ban.

A lot of times, people just ban what they don't like. When I'm going mid I'll often ban Ahri or Swain because I can deal with just about every other champion in the game as Xerath, my main mid. When I'm top I often ban Jayce because there's no way I can deal with him. If I'm in neither of these roles my standard bans are blitz/shen/amumu, unless I'm playing amumu in which case I ban Ahri because she's hard to gank and doesn't fall off.

It's expected that your first pick is going to beast on the enemy team and completely dominate, let them ban who they want and take a seat on their back.