Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

LF>Support teacher

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KawaiiDeSushii

12-21-2012

i like maining support but i only know so much so i was hoping maybe some1 might help me out.(name is changed idk why my name didnt change on site) Add Yuurei Hansei

Qsario

12-21-2012

This guide will help you with the very basics:
http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=6097

You can also see this stream of a good 2000 ELO support watching one of my games, telling me all the mistakes I made:
http://www.twitch.tv/wrosgar/b/348780245

A lot of it is just practice. Pick someone to start with (Sona, Zyra, Leona or Janna for good-but-not-permabanned supports) and play a lot of games with them, making sure you have proper rune & mastery pages for that support (including those GP10 quints). Make sure you know what your champion is made for and play them appropriately. Leona is a tank. She's there to lock down one enemy so your ADC can kill them. Janna is very different: she's there to protect the carry, though she can also use her slow, tornado and even the knockback of her ult to lock people down so the ADC can feed on them. Heck, I used that ult to dump someone into our fountain laser last night, but that's another story entirely ^.^

Be aware of the map and communicate with your team. You can fill in and call MIAs for lanes that aren't, for example. And you can help your jungler keep track of where the enemy support warded (and when: wards expire in 3 minutes). You don't care about farming (unless there's no one there and it would be lost), so you're relatively free to roam (and ward) when your ADC is in no danger. You want to keep an eye on objectives, including your own buffs, dragon & baron. You should also be attracted to teamfights: you should have a kit that helps turn them in your team's favor (or at least help your guy escape) and you get your gold from assists. There's almost always some way to help secure the kill, even if it's just the +AD buff from Janna's shield.

Reets

12-22-2012

I'm not sure if this helps, but if you learn to predict what players do in situations it should increase your support skills by a good amount. Try to learn or think from the enemy perspective what to do when the player or team you're supporting is low on health/mana or in a situation. With this skill you should know when to heal or use CC spells accordingly.

When I play support and the situation is tight, I think from the point of view of the supported player. Try to think what you would want or expect someone who is supporting you to be doing,

I know this advise isn't very detailed but sometimes you have to step back and look at things that way. I hope this helps and good luck in you future games.

=D

Gydeinn

12-22-2012

I can give you some pointers, I haven't supported in a long time, but I'm sure I can still remember a thing or two.

KawaiiDeSushii

12-22-2012

i have read that guide already thank though i just wanan know what to build uin certain situations

Gydeinn

12-22-2012

Quote:
MissJinx:
i have read that guide already thank though i just wanan know what to build uin certain situations

There isn't really that much diversity in what you can build. so most of the time, when in doubt, build support items (shurelya's, aegis, zeke's etc.). If you're playing a more tanky support (eg. leona, maoki) then you can integrate some of the tankier items into your build depending on their team comp (build mr + HP if their mid is wrecking, armor + HP if their ADC is the one doing all the damage etc.). I'd say, though, Shurelya's and aegis are a must, zeke's is more optional most of the time unless your adc is Cait, Vayne or Kog. Otherwise I don't usually get it until late game to really put the punch in their AA's/

Now, if I'm supporting and my team's steamrolling, I like to build AP. Luckily, there's a bunch of AP support item's now that build from Kage's, but remember that shurelya's and aegis are a must, though you can always ask your jungler/top laner to build it for you, depending on who they play (they're most likely to pick it up anyways if they're maoki, shen, lee or malphite).

AND WARDS, LOTS AND LOTS OF WARDS, THEY IMPLEMENTED SIGHT STONE FOR A REASON SO DON'T IGNORE IT! This is one of my pet peeves: being forced to ward when I'm mid or top lane because the support is incompetent. Yes, it is the everyone's (adc excluded) responsibility to ward, but in normals/low Elo, no one wards but you, so if you're relying on other people to ward then shame on you, you have to do it yourself. Once you get to a higher elo, then other people will start warding for you, but always, always, always, play as if you're the only who is capable of buying wards. If only I had a penny for every game we lost because the support wasn't warding.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Shesocold

12-22-2012

Play Janna win every game.

Weajiin

12-23-2012

Well if you want personalized help you have to answer and ask specific questions. Keep checking this page and I'll do my best to keep updating as long as you come back.

Ask your questions

Qsario

12-23-2012

Quote:
Shesocold:
Play Janna win every game.

IKR. I had a great win streak with her a while back. She has hard AOE CC. You can't go wrong with that.

And I've pushed two people into our fountain with her ult this week. Not that that helped much, but it was still hilarious.

Kirielis

12-23-2012

I've added you. A lot of what can be said about support has already been said above, so I'll just add one more. Support is a control role, so it very much helps to have good game sense - you can set up a LOT of things just by providing the right vision or lack thereof, later in the game. Oh, and adapt to your ADC.