Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Elo hell! Trying to get out?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KegStand

12-21-2012

Hi all and hopefully this is a good place to post this...

My in game name is KegStand and I've been playing this game for about a year and a half now. I've played ranked matches in all 3 of the seasons so far and pretty much have been down in the dumps from the get go starting each of them. Whether its bad luck with a teammate dropping, someone rage quiting during the match, feeding etc etc. I've seen it all.

Now I don't think of myself as a terrible player, and at least I deserve to be around the 1800 rating area but I've just been dealt the card of doom when it comes to the solo ranked matches. Well I want out! I'm pretty tired of it and I've taken up my own channel to show the rest of the community just how awful it is down in hell, what I have to deal with, and hopefully if a newcomer to the ranked system stumbles across this they might be able to learn from my gameplay as I try to work my way out of it.

I'm new to the forums so please forgive me if this is not allowed or I'm in the wrong place. I am truly in it for helping people learn more about ranked how it works and to help improve someone Else's gameplay. If your interested please follow me on my channel. Would love to have even pro gamers, or guys high ranked stop in for advice as I am learning myself everyday I play. Cheers to all and good luck to all in ranked!
http://www.twitch.tv/kegstandlegend
One of the replays
http://www.twitch.tv/kegstandlegend/b/350112176

Spanky1337

Recruiter

12-22-2012

First of all, many pros have already explained why Elo hell doesn't exist. Second, keep in mind that 1800 is gold/platinum ranking. Gold is considered to be the top 5% of players, platinum the top 2% or so, and Diamond the upper 1% or even less than 1%.

I used to think I should be an 1800 player as well, but then I realized I had a lot to learn. I stopped blaming my teammates entirely for my losses. They might contribute to it, but they are not the sole cause, and you can't think that they are.

Good luck climbing the ranks as I am trying to as well, i'm simply to trying to improve and am currently at 1308 rating, with a high of 1349 (after my placement matches). Have fun, and just keep in mind there's always something you can improve in.

KegStand

12-22-2012

I'll take any kind of criticisms and suggestions for sure. I remember being around the same rating most of the last season too and was learning soooo much at that elo but one night I drunkenly screwed all that up lol. I didn't even realize I was doing ranked matches but anywho. You're right you can't always blame the teamates and it is best to try and stay positive, but you probably know what I mean by feeders, overall bad players, leavers etc. The point would be mainly to point out mistakes made by other players and myself so that others may look at it and think "yeah that makes sense" and better themselves

I hope to get up there soon. Maybe we'll match up against each other ...Cheers!
http://www.twitch.tv/kegstandlegend
One of the replays
http://www.twitch.tv/kegstandlegend/b/350112176
Also Facebook for replays and recaps
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kegstand/314677498638012

FuuckencioHxH

12-22-2012

if u want play support u must harassing and dont leave free farm at the enemies u must attack all time and create opportunities of kill for u carry is not only heal him and buy wards..
personally, i hate when my support is behind me and dont attack at the enemies.
...harassing and farm is very important for win you lane.. farm farm farm wards and harassing

sorry for my bad english, i hope you understand what i wrote
bye :3

KegStand

12-22-2012

Quote:
FuuckencioHxH:
if u want play support u must harassing and dont leave free farm at the enemies u must attack all time and create opportunities of kill for u carry is not only heal him and buy wards..
personally, i hate when my support is behind me and dont attack at the enemies.
...harassing and farm is very important for win you lane.. farm farm farm wards and harassing

sorry for my bad english, i hope you understand what i wrote
bye :3

Yeah I'm still not the best as a support with some champs just yet. Taric being one. I usually play Soraka and I can be a little more aggressive with her star call and such although her and Sona are significantly more squishy than a Taric is. So I should be able to play him a little more aggressively. Especially if my buddy is playing a twitch. I get what you are saying

Here is one of me as Raka and MF bot lane. I play her best I feel but I can improve absolutely.
http://www.twitch.tv/kegstandlegend/b/350096014

KegStand

12-24-2012

I am finding that duo que is a little better at the moment. And I love matches where you are just getting destroyed but you slowly start coming back and find a way to win. Even when others seem to be playing poorly or you have multiple people having it rough at first. Sometimes a lane switch works out to your favor like it sorta did in this match I had. I'm out of the 800's and am sitting at 902 now

http://www.twitch.tv/kegstandlegend/b/350125840

KegStand

12-25-2012

Had 3 great matches tonight! Happy Holidays everyone! I played what I think was a pretty good support Taric in one match. Had good harass, and a couple good games with Morg mid. If anyone cares to see how I battled a Kennen mid and some of the mistakes I made facing him too and also the taric match check out my replay please. I ended the night at 941 ratting
Morg Vs Kennen mid
http://www.twitch.tv/kegstandlegend/b/350945056
Taric+kog Vs Varus+Sona bot
http://www.twitch.tv/kegstandlegend/b/350938857

Any feedback is greatly appreciated all. Hope some may get some ideas from these match ups.

yoshi guy

12-25-2012

After my placements for s3 I started at 900 Elo (im right in saying this is "elo hell" range?) Well I got out VERY quickly, like a day. There is no elo hell, carrying those games was really easy.

KegStand

12-29-2012

Quote:
yoshi guy:
After my placements for s3 I started at 900 Elo (im right in saying this is "elo hell" range?) Well I got out VERY quickly, like a day. There is no elo hell, carrying those games was really easy.

I'm having better luck with matchups right now. I've won 9 straight and am climbing out. Call it bad luck for those first 10-15 matches or so but it was awful! You can't carry 4 people most the time, and those were the type of matches I had been dealing with.

Also I'm now at 977.

Shutting down Morg. with Ziggs. Morgs not supper OP if you counter her.
http://www.twitch.tv/kegstandlegend/b/352086442

acosn

12-29-2012

Quote:
Spanky1337:
First of all, many pros have already explained why Elo hell doesn't exist. Second, keep in mind that 1800 is gold/platinum ranking. Gold is considered to be the top 5% of players, platinum the top 2% or so, and Diamond the upper 1% or even less than 1%.

I used to think I should be an 1800 player as well, but then I realized I had a lot to learn. I stopped blaming my teammates entirely for my losses. They might contribute to it, but they are not the sole cause, and you can't think that they are.

Good luck climbing the ranks as I am trying to as well, i'm simply to trying to improve and am currently at 1308 rating, with a high of 1349 (after my placement matches). Have fun, and just keep in mind there's always something you can improve in.

No, ELO hell exists.

It's just the idea that there's a lot of factors that make you lose the game that are outside of your control, because there's just no good way to carry 2+ bad lanes.

Or people AFK in the fountain, or just quit. Or never show up. And Riot doesn't do anything about it, so it damages the legitimacy of the ELO system.

But I digress.

By odds, your losses are not your fault. In a ten player game where you play with four other people you can play almost flawlessly and still lose. Frustrating? Sure. But it's also not the lion's share of your losses. Welcome to single queue draft pick.

And you're never a bad player. League has a fairly low skill cap for actually playing the game. Most of the skill curve is from less tangible concepts like being able to mesh well and communicate with your team.

I mean, you see people that are just dog ****, but the worst thing you can do, ironically, is try to help them. Few games ago I had a vlad. Who rushed WOTA. Against a Swain. Vlad wasn't gearing magic resist, or survivability at all and he couldn't fathom why I wouldn't gank his lane (I was Evelynn, I didn't have ignite since I was jungle. I had a very positive KDR, we were winning, and he still had the balls to AFK in the fountain, which gave the other team time to pull together for a win) when he wasn't able to give me a damn thing to work with.

But this happens every game. People who just don't understand gear theory, people who don't understand basic mechanics of the game. Why they even pair people with almost no ranked matches with people who have over a hundred I don't know, but you gotta deal with it.

But the idea that one person causes all your teams woes is pretty stupid. It's a five person team, and with one person doing poorly the other four are in no position to do a thing, and can't play to compensate for it? Isn't that the entire premise behind a carry?