AP Mages are losing their place in League

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FOH galo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementzPRO View Post
YEAH ALL THAT MAGIC DAMAGE COMING FROM EVERYONE BUT THE AP CARRY

ITS ALMOST LIKE THE AP CARRY IS THE MAJORITY OF THE TEAMS MAGIC DAMAGE OR SOMETHING lol
Jax, teemo, fiddle, kog... There are more, but these come to mind as champions potentially in other lanes that would heavily benefit from your dfg. It's definitely conditional, but your team can really benefit from your dfg.

Niick

12-21-2012

bump

Yinne

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementzPRO View Post
Toyz plays utility mages like everyone else
Just wondering, what place is syndra in? also, this is why assassins will never be viable. Inability to assassinate.

TakashixToshirou

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2012

Anivia is still super broken as far as building no damage and still doing damage.

Aametherar

12-21-2012

Remove FoN, create "riot hates mages thread" seems legit. Oh right I forgot most people wont play anything but ADC and AP carry (which explains why people aren't complaining about the new direction of armor pen). Carry on carry on +70.

LePWNa

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risemix View Post
The inherent stresses placed on bruisers are pretty difficult to deal with. The jungle hurts a lot and characters intended to jungle (mostly bruisers) have to be stronger in early levels to handle it. They have to sit in the middle of team fights, so they've got to be able to do their job quickly and shrug off a certain amount of incidental damage that occurs there.

The solution has been giving bruisers higher base stats and strong items to be able to handle these issues.

I think the answers are probably that incidental damage is too high, and that the jungle is too demanding overall (note I'm suggesting that the jungle and bruisers both should be weaker overall, not that bruisers should clear the jungle faster or anything). There's probably too much AoE in league. It's too easy to die because you were there as a bruiser, rather than because you were the primary focus of the enemy team. You can get hit by like, Amumu ult, miss fortune ult, a Vi E or two, and a Nami ult and be at half health or less without even being hit by anything single target, though that is a pretty AoE-centric comp to be fair. An AP champion for all of their weaknesses might be totally out of range of any of that.

I could be entirely wrong but I'd say that is a lot of the root of the issue.

TL;DR: Bruisers are too strong because the game asks too much of them.
Okay, but then the question becomes how we fix this without neutering bruisers. I mean, are you implying a mass nerf to bruisers? Do you really want a game where everyone just builds glass cannon and the first team to win is the one that strikes first? That doesn't sound like fun to me at all, and that was on the verge of happening with all the armor penetration buffs and Black Cleaver.

UltraReflex

12-21-2012

zzzz. riot needs to re look in ap champs again and rework the old aps ...

Risemix

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by yallDONTknow View Post
Okay, but then the question becomes how we fix this without neutering bruisers. I mean, are you implying a mass nerf to bruisers? Do you really want a game where everyone just builds glass cannon and the first team to win is the one that strikes first? That doesn't sound like fun to me at all, and that was on the verge of happening with all the armor penetration buffs and Black Cleaver.
It's a hard question to answer and I'm not qualified to give you an answer, in all honesty. If I was, I'd be working at Riot or something instead of whining about it on the forums.

I'm just saying that my opinion is that bruisers are too strong, not that mages are too weak, and that bruisers are too strong because they were designed to work in an environment that made their jobs impossible to do without higher numbers.

Like I said before, bruisers are just better by the numbers than other types. Double bruiser bot beats carry-support (though we don't do that all the time because an end-game carry is invaluable). Bruiser beats AP mid. Bruiser beats AP jungler. Bruiser beats assassin top. Bruiser beats basically everything except another bruiser. That much is pretty clear.

Stokyo

12-21-2012

Everyone pointing out all of these utility mages and no one mentions Kennen? I main Kennen mid and can usually carry very well in most of my games. League isn't about getting ahead but rather putting the enemy team behind. His mid game is so strong with his E mobility and ult which deals a ton of damage while also stunning everyone. I wonder if he'll ever become fotm again (I'm hoping not because I don't want to see him get nerfed because I feel he is pretty balanced right now). One thing I noticed is that none of Kennens core items got nerfed in the s3 patch other than Deathcap. He's a really good pick mid even when you're against a bruiser because you can infinitely harrass with his W from level 7 onwards.

Aèrith

12-21-2012

I can understand why they nerfed flap magic pen since % magic pen is calculated first now, but I thought the deathcap was a little harsh. Mages in generally (especially burst mages) tend to fall off late game anyway and this is only making it worse. It would be nice have a red post on here.