What starting items do you take on Dr. Mundo?

Hunter's Machete + 5 pots 10 34.48%
Cloth armour + 5 pots 14 48.28%
Other O_o 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Jungle Mundo: Machete or Cloth?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BurningCubez

12-21-2012

Hi everyone!

Ever since the start of the new season I've been wondering about the jungle start for Dr. Mundo, machete or cloth armour.

I haven't tried cloth in the new jungle many times, and the times I did I felt a bit slower, but came out with more health (Mundo's first clear runs him really low, down to ~10% health).

Most early itemisation for Mundo is pretty clear, (and I don't need help with late itemisation). However, I'm not a fan of machete, as it gives no "real" stats, i.e., ones that help with ganks, and counter-jungling/dueling. In addition, as great as the Spirit of the Ancient Golem is, it takes time to work up to, and doesn't provide such a noticable difference in the early game as a fast ninja tabi, which can be rushed from cloth.

My runes may be the problem, at the moment running attack speed reds and quints, flat armor yellows and flat magic resist blues. This is mainly due to a lack of IP, as I wanted movement speed quints in the old jungle, but never had enough IP. With the advent of the new jungle, I was probably thinking flat armor quints, which may work combined cloth for a more sustained jungle.

If you do take machete, when do you upgrade the item as well? Spirit stone is good for a farm game, but if you run into the enemy jungler, then you have no "real" stats to help out (which Mundo probably needs if he's playing a farm game, as he won't be full health the whole time). Also, the main reason IMHO to play Mundo is to counter-jungle, and force the other jungler out of their jungle if there is an encounter, which is harder to do with the lack of effective stats. With the new jungle, Mundo runs lower more often, especially with his negative sustain.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-21-2012

I would tend to think that being able to kill jungle creatures significantly faster would be helpful in counter jungling.

KTcrazy

12-21-2012

Everytime I use mundo in jungle I always use the machete/5 pots build because I can build wriggle so I can take people with the life steal.( Mundo is nice early and mid game damage so when you encounter another jungler it is easy to beat them)Though I think cloth armor would be fine, just for the fact that you can build right into your boots, but its your call.

BurningCubez

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
I would tend to think that being able to kill jungle creatures significantly faster would be helpful in counter jungling.
It helps in the killing of the camps, but not the killing of the other jungler. Mundo's strength in counter-jungling is also his ability to bruise up the other jungler in his own jungle, and perhaps even kill him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTcrazy View Post
Everytime I use mundo in jungle I always use the machete/5 pots build because I can build wriggle so I can take people with the life steal.( Mundo is nice early and mid game damage so when you encounter another jungler it is easy to beat them)Though I think cloth armor would be fine, just for the fact that you can build right into your boots, but its your call.
Wriggle's might be alright, but it's generally not so great (IMO) on Mundo as his attack speed is pretty low, meaning less procs of the passive. Also, half of his damage comes from his W, which is not affected by life steal. 10% life steal pales in comparison to his ult, provided he has enough health (which is a good reason to stack early health such as multiple ruby crystals and/or a giant's belt).

I find that the Machete upgrades don't offer enough early game to justify purchasing them, but if you start machete and don't upgrade, then your sustain (lolwhatsustain) is compromised. In comparison, cloth --> ninja tabi (this is mostly theory, haven't really tested extensively) gives you armour and resistances, for dueling and sustain, and faster movement speed for slightly faster clear times and better ganks.