Split Pushers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-21-2012

Ready to have a discussion about split pushers? Good, then you're in the right place.

Not every team has a composition that includes a champion capable of split pushing. In order to split push, you have to understand both your champion (whether or not split pushing is a good idea with this particular champion) and your team's composition (will they be okay in a 4v5?)

Shen is probably the most popular split-pusher out there because of his ultimate. It kind of defines him. But despite him being the most popular split pusher, I'd argue he's kind of non-standard in terms of split pushers.

The goal of split pushing is to put pressure on an alternate lane while the other 9 players in the game are busy in a primary lane. The idea is that you must make the enemy team decide between conceding the objectives in that lane or becoming weaker in a team fight in the primary lane. So with that said, what are some of the criteria of a good split-pusher?

First, a split pusher must pose a serious threat to the enemy's objective in whatever lane they are pushing. Generally speaking, this rules out most supports (although Banner of Command can let a support cause a split push... and Banner of Command plus Nunu Bloodboil is a serious threat).

Second, a split pusher must not be a liability. They must have some way of dealing with the scenario where the enemy team decides to come get you. This tends to rule out most champions without escapes.

Third, a split pusher must not be a crucial part of team-fighting composition. This rules out initiators, ADCs, and AP carries (though exceptions can be made for champions like Shen and Twisted Fate whose ultimates allow them to join their team as soon as a fight breaks out).

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-21-2012

So, given that list of criteria, who makes for good split pushers?

Shen - Shen gets on the list because of how strong his ultimate is. Really, he doesn't put too much pressure on the enemy objective, not as an immediate threat anyway, but with a Statikk Shiv, he can keep lanes pushed and let minions slowly take turrets down. His taunt also lets him escape if he gets chased down, and he's tanky enough to survive a bit of damage anyway. But mostly with Shen, sending someone after him just means Shen ults to his teammates and all of a sudden they get the 5 v 4 advantage.

Twisted Fate - Now, TF can only split push in some situations. And honestly, he's not the best, but if you can't get a good 5v5, sometimes trying to split push with him might be your only option. He has a stun or slow with his Pick a Card that can help him escape, plus his R helps him get to the team if a team fight breaks out.

Jax - First off, Jax is going to win almost every 1v1, so if the enemy only sends one person after Jax, he can just kill them and keep split pushing. If they send two or more, then your teammates have an advantage in a 4v3 scenario. Moreover, Jax is a top laner, and if you have an initiator in the jungle, he's not VITAL to a teamfight. Jax's E, Q, and R active all help him escape if he needs to, and the fact that he's Jax means that once he gets to the objective, it will fall in about 2 seconds flat. As Jax, if your team is facing off against the enemy team in bottom lane 40 minutes into the game, you can take out two top lane turrets before anyone on the enemy team even makes it to you.

Master Yi - He takes out objectives with the same efficiency as Jax. He doesn't necessarily fair as well 1v1 as Jax, but Master Yi's ultimate is great for getting out of a sticky situation, plus he can use it to run right to his team if necessary. And his Alpha Strike helps him clear enemy minion waves nearly instantly, which increases the speed of getting the minion wave pushed.

Nidalee - Nidalee's Cougar Form makes her impossible to chase down. To a degree, she's kind of like Shen. She's not necessarily a major threat to enemy objectives like Jax or Yi, but it's a constant pestering presence and she's just impossible to track down and kill. She'll just keep the minion waves pushed.

Shaco - Depending on how you build Shaco, he can be a major threat to objectives. His boxes can keep him protected, and his Deceive provides for an amazing escape ability. Much like Yi can use his ultimate to get from the lane he's split pushing to quickly get to his teammates, Shaco can use Deceive in the same way, and a lot of Shaco players are building Boots of Mobility, so all that much more speed on him.

Rengar - His E and R can both help him get out of a split push lane to safety. His R works very similarly to Shaco's Deceive in this regard. He will also typically have the farm and build required to be a decent threat to objective, and it's unlikely that a team will be relying on him as their initiator. Moreover, with the way his passive works, it can actually be better for Rengar to join teamfights coming from a split push lane as he can jump out at the enemy team from the bush.

Teemo - His mushrooms work probably even better than Shaco's boxes when it comes to protecting him. His W provides a good escape mechanism if he needs to get out of trouble. Even his Q can buy him some safety until he's truly out of range with his W. What's more, if given the opportunity, Teemo can use the slow and the damage from his mushrooms to get lanes to snowball, which isn't exactly split-pushing, but it can give a similar effect to a promoted minion via Banner of Command.

That's all I got for now. I intend for this thread to be a discussion place for split pushing, and I'll be willing to modify this list. The main thing is, I want people to be clear on who is and isn't a good candidate for split pushing. It's not a good idea to send your Malphite to split push leaving your team with no initiator, and that split push lane is nothing but a liability.

NukedWhale

12-21-2012

There's been a lot of changes with Rengar, but he was a really good split pusher. Don't know if he still is.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-21-2012

I can see Rengar on the list. His E and R help him escape and it's unlikely that he's going to be the initiator.

And by the way, I've edited it now. The first post is going to be for the list of criteria that makes a good split pusher, while the second post will be a list of split pushers as well as a short description about why they make good split pushers. You're welcome to debate both lists, suggest additions or removals, edits, etc. I want this to be a very good guide on split pushers.

AskKarthus

12-21-2012

Lee Sin would be a good split pusher if your team doesn't rely on him for initiation. He can clear minions well and takes turrets down fine.

Singed is a somewhat effective split pusher, because he kills creeps stupidly fast, so he keeps the lane pushed. the problem here is that unless your team has another tanky initiator, they'll be down an important team member.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskKarthus View Post
Lee Sin would be a good split pusher if your team doesn't rely on him for initiation. He can clear minions well and takes turrets down fine.

Singed is a somewhat effective split pusher, because he kills creeps stupidly fast, so he keeps the lane pushed. the problem here is that unless your team has another tanky initiator, they'll be down an important team member.
Yea, that was kind of my thought process on both of these champs.

1) Is Lee Sin going to be in team comps where he's not relied on as an initiator often enough to bother listing him as a split pusher?

2) To me, I don't think Singed is going to be on a team often enough that has another initiator... plus he's more like Shen... he's only particularly effective in keeping the minions pushed on the tower and slowly getting the tower taken out. The biggest difference is, he doesn't have a great way to get back to the team.

Etherimp

12-21-2012

Sivir with Teleport, can push a wave extremely fast, blow her ulti, and destroy the tower and escape before the enemy team can respond.

Teemo is good also.

Skoonie

12-21-2012

No love for Teemo? I thought he was one of the most popular split pushers, considering his 'shrooms work in a similar way to Shaco's boxes and a decent gtfo in his Move Quick (provided he isn't snuck up on), though he needs to build attack speed to be competent in the roll.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherimp View Post
Sivir with Teleport, can push a wave extremely fast, blow her ulti, and destroy the tower and escape before the enemy team can respond.
No. I can't justify putting Sivir up there. First off, teleport is a summoner spell that anyone could take to turn them into a pseudo-split pusher, because it allows them to quickly get back to their lane. And yes, Sivir will destroy a tower quickly...

But I'm going to argue that Sivir fails the 2nd and 3rd criteria.

Sivir fails the 2nd criteria in that all she has to keep her alive is her E. It's a spell shield which at rank 5 (and you don't get this till level 18) has a 10 second cooldown, it lasts a maximum of 3 seconds, and it doesn't block auto-attacks.

Sivir's R gives her only half of the speed Yi's R gives him, and it doesn't make her immune to slows. Frozen Mallet's slow is stronger than Sivir's R's speed boost.

Sivir fails the 3rd criteria because she's the ADC. The only way Sivir doesn't fail the 3rd criteria is if you've come up with some strategy that involves Sivir playing top lane or something so she's not your primary ADC.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-21-2012

I added Teemo.

Still looking for more pros/cons on Lee Sin and Singed. Mostly my question with those two is how often are they going to be in a team comp where they aren't being relied on as the primary initiator?