"Unbalancable by Design"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

shalexade

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropics View Post
Nobody intelligent gives a damn about solo queue win rate. Olaf has a 47% win-rate and is one of the most competitive picks for top lane. Alistar is at a consistent 45 or so % win rate, yet is also a competitive tournament pick. Bringing up solo queue win rates is a waste of time when considering how powerful a champion is in competitive play. Janna has a 53% win rate. Does that mean Janna is a better champion than Alistar and Blitzcrank? Then why aren't the pros using her?
First of all- yes. Yes they do.

But, if you're going to be basing it on the latest tourney's, what's your thoughts on Lee Sin, TF or Orianna?

All banned and selected more than Blitz at IPL5.

Heck, Lee Sin had a 78% win rate for goodness sakes and is banned in EU SoloQ more than Blitz!

shalexade

12-20-2012

Quote:
This is quite true and I apologize for calling it a waste of time. However, Blitzcrank himself also has a comparatively small sample size within ranked games due to his ban rate, as does Alistar. A champion that is banned that often is problematic, particularly when those bans are occurring at all levels of play. It is not the win-rate that typically tells you how a champion is doing, but the rate of pick and ban.
Now you're just making things up!

Despite his bans, he's the 10th most played champion in Lol!

As I've mentioned- he's banned a lot- on NA.

Globally though, it's a different story.

Edit: Sorry, still had the filter set to Europe. He's the 14th most played Champion.

Anthropics

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalexade View Post
First of all- yes. Yes they do.

But, if you're going to be basing it on the latest tourney's, what's your thoughts on Lee Sin, TF or Orianna?

All banned and selected more than Blitz at IPL5.

Heck, Lee Sin had a 78% win rate for goodness sakes and is banned in EU SoloQ more than Blitz!
I don't like to complain about them because it makes people hate me and just gets threads insta-closed due to downvotes. I don't really hate TF that much since he has a unique playstyle, I think Lee's shield jump spam and level 2 ganks are literally the dumbest thing in the game, and I think Ori does a bit too much damage for her kit's utility.

Anthropics

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalexade View Post
Now you're just making things up!

Despite his bans, he's the 10th most played champion in Lol! .
You got me, I didn't actually look it up, it was an assumption xP

That being said I think his ban rate speaks a lot to his state of balance.

He also occupies the position of support in the meta, which has very few options available anyway, which could be a possible explanation for his high pick rate in spite of his ban rate.

Intellectional

12-20-2012

Shen is not OP. His laning leaves a lot to be desired, and he's countered pretty easily. Pantheon is his worst nightmare. Harass with Q. Passive shield blocks Shen's Q, you jump on him and stun him, shield from that blocks Ki Strike. If he decides he wants to ult, you follow him with your own and counter-engage.

Amumu is not OP. His early ganks are weaksauce and he's essentially ****ed if he's counterjungled at all. Also, he puts his mid at a disadvantage early by being so blue-hungry. He usually has to take second, while some junglers, like Lee Sin, don't even take first. His ult can be countered with Cleanse or a QSS or by simply not getting caught out late-game.

Blitz... not gonna touch him yet. He's a ****ing menace all game, but he can't really do much until you make a mistake. Not really sure if broken or just overrated.

sugarcrotch

12-20-2012

where are these patch notes?

Malurth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
(for example, the energy return on his W that most people, including me two days ago, don't even know about).
Didn't they remove that in patch V1.0.0.118?

Malurth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intellectional View Post
Shen is not OP. His laning leaves a lot to be desired, and he's countered pretty easily. Pantheon is his worst nightmare. Harass with Q. Passive shield blocks Shen's Q, you jump on him and stun him, shield from that blocks Ki Strike. If he decides he wants to ult, you follow him with your own and counter-engage.

Amumu is not OP. His early ganks are weaksauce and he's essentially ****ed if he's counterjungled at all. Also, he puts his mid at a disadvantage early by being so blue-hungry. He usually has to take second, while some junglers, like Lee Sin, don't even take first. His ult can be countered with Cleanse or a QSS or by simply not getting caught out late-game.

Blitz... not gonna touch him yet. He's a ****ing menace all game, but he can't really do much until you make a mistake. Not really sure if broken or just overrated.
Panth's shield doesn't block Shen's Q.

Yinne

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intellectional View Post

I believe utility-wise all of these champions are powerful, but without these unique skills these champions wouldnt be well...these champions.

I wouldn't call them OP, but they all have kits that either:

a) punishes mistakes

b) fixes mistakes

So blitz would be an example of A, and Shen would be an example of B.

Thus, it can only be concluded that these champions are considered overpowered because of capitalization on sub-par skills.

shalexade

12-20-2012

Quote:
You got me, I didn't actually look it up, it was an assumption xP

That being said I think his ban rate speaks a lot to his state of balance.

He also occupies the position of support in the meta, which has very few options available anyway, which could be a possible explanation for his high pick rate in spite of his ban rate.
His ban rate/pick rate speaks a lot for his percieved balance.

The fact that his ban-rate is 50% lower in Europe reflects that.

His sub-50% win rate on the other hand...

That said, I'm not going to deny that Blitz can be a very strong in the right hands. He's awesome fun and I have a 100% win rate with him in rated over the past 2 season *cough*tinysamplesize*cough*

But, I do think there's a fair amount of confirmation bias going on. People only remember the good grabs. Never the bad blitz's that lose more than 50% of their games.