Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is the match making system really that accurate?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

roskosp33

01-22-2013

Quote:
PogoPogoPogoPogo:
My math shows your net Elo change average over your net games over 500.

You don't gain Elo for losses. You lose Elo for losses.

If you divided your +64 Elo by your 126 games played, then you get a net Elo change of +0.508 (approximately) per game played. But you have to remember, you won 70 of these games (and gained Elo over these), and lost 56 of these games (and lost Elo over these games).

If your net Elo change was -64 rather than +64, your net Elo change would be -0.508 rather than +0.508 per game. If you won as many as you lost and finished out at the Elo you started at, your net Elo change per game would be 0.000.

That doesn't mean that you didn't gain any Elo for your wins or lose any Elo for your losses. That just means you lost as much in your losses as you gained in your wins.

I was looking at the over all picture. Out of 126 games (win or lose) I averaged about +0.5 elo a game. It's positive elo. I wasn't sure how you were getting +4.5 elo a game in your earlier post. I think you found how much elo I gained per win, not per game.

You said your math shows my net Elo change average over my net games over 500. What is the number 500 representing here?

Loadedup

01-23-2013

500 means .500, meaning wins over 50% win rate. So he is assuming you'd have a net gain of 0 elo if your win rate is at 50%.

Any wins over that win rate would be positive elo, based on that assumption.

KarmicKatri

01-23-2013

Short Answer, Hell No!

Vrykonik

01-23-2013

Regarding lots of last picks there are weird things that influence it. Every 200 points in ELO is considered a rating "class" which usually means if you are 200 points above you're much stronger.

My guess is the reason you get 5th pick has to due with your rating being close to one of the bracket cut offs. It could be you're low man mostly because you just climbed into your bracket and haven't had a lot of success with quick upward mobility. This is only a theory but it would make sense for skewed numbers. Also duo ques always end with 4th and 5th pick so that is important to know as well. I end up all over the place currently far as pick orders go. But I'm good support and carry games from there a lot of times so it doesn't bother me. Really if you're going to play ranked you have to like all positions aside top because that will be religiously called. I just try and fill in every game anyways. I get more wins that way. But I haven't played enough ranked games right now to reflect my playing strength accurately. Maybe another 20-30 games... more if I'm stronger. Currently 1198 and climbing with a 16 win and 7 loss record.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-23-2013

Quote:
roskosp33:
I was looking at the over all picture. Out of 126 games (win or lose) I averaged about +0.5 elo a game. It's positive elo. I wasn't sure how you were getting +4.5 elo a game in your earlier post. I think you found how much elo I gained per win, not per game.

You said your math shows my net Elo change average over my net games over 500. What is the number 500 representing here?

"500" is sports slang. I think it started with baseball.

In baseball, batting averages are referred to as a three digit decimal place. The number 0.250 represents a "250 batting average." That means the batter gets a base hit in 1 out of every 4 at bats. 25%.

"500" refers to 50%.

"Games over 500" is a phrase used frequently in sports to refer to a team's win loss record.

A team that is said to be "3 games over 500" has won 3 more games than it has lost. They could be 5W/2L, or they could be 62W/59L. They're still 3 games over 500.

So when I got the roughly +4.5 Elo, I took your net Elo, and I divided it by (Wins - Losses).

roskosp33

01-25-2013

I wanted to apologize. This thread started turning into me just complaining. I was getting frustrated because I found myself on a losing streak. At first I just lost 3-4 games in a row, but that turned into 8 losses. I went from 1331 to 1247. I was getting ridiculous teams where I was stuck as ADC alone bot because my team wanted to double jungle, AP Ashe, and other things that were just getting under my skin.

I realize elo hell doesn't exist, but when you get a run of games like I just had you start to rethink it. It's difficult at times, knowing you work so hard to get your elo to where it is just to lose a few games and be back to where you started. It's like a tease that you are progressing and then you realize you're just spending a lot of time to be standing in one place.

But when it comes down to it, I am still playing with the same group of people I was before. I was winning those games despite the strange builds and unorthodox metas, so during those 8 games I must have been doing something different or not doing something I was previously in my winning games.

I have noticed, being taught the support role first, that I tend to give my kills away to other players hoping they get fed to carry the game (much like a support does for an adc). I tend to do this when I support, jungle, and play a tanky top laner. I really could care less about my KDA if we're winning games.

But I have found that I cannot trust the players I am getting fed to do their job to carry and potentially win us the game. I have gotten mid fed, bot fed, and/or top fed on numerous occasions just to have them face check bushes, refuse to come to take/protect objectives so they can farm, or just getting caught out and killed over and over after the lane phase. Nothing bothers me more then a fed character that can't carry. It feels like a lot of wasted gold that you know would've done better on a different player. It really hinders the whole team when somebody gets all the kills and can't do anything with them.

What it comes down to is that I have developed a bad habit, at least for this elo, of giving my kills away or denying myself farm so that another player can have it in hopes that they will carry. I have just now come to the realization, that even though this is a TEAM game, in solo que there is no real teamwork or organization. The best way to benefit the team is to get yourself fed then try to get the rest of your team fed afterwards.

Again I am sorry for venting and being a bit negative lately. Like I said, I was having a frustrating losing streak. I have found that coming here, to the forums, to type out my thoughts and get feedback from the community really helps me figure out and reflect on what has worked in the past, what is working now, and what I have to work on in the future. I hope that the records and reports I have been logging has helped others as well as myself to get passed their elo sticking points.

Thanks everyone.

roskosp33

01-28-2013

20 more games

1st 3 games (1 win, 2 loss)
2cd 2 games (2 win)
3rd 2 games (1 win, 1 loss)
4th 2 games (2 win)
5th 11 games (2 win, 8 loss, 1 dodge)

roskosp33

01-28-2013

is this an accurate description of the elo system?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHC-xFXOgjM

YoungGoN4v5

01-28-2013

The accuracy of your elo to the one the game supplies is actually ~200. So Take that into consideration as well

roskosp33

01-28-2013

Quote:
Moridin the Hurt:
The accuracy of your elo to the one the game supplies is actually ~200. So Take that into consideration as well

I am currently 1302. So my elo is roughly 1100-1500 then?