Is the match making system really that accurate?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

roskosp33

01-21-2013

More math... lol I'll do it tomorrow.

roskosp33

01-22-2013

Alright. 53% win ratio since I was at 1356 and I have been losing elo.

72 games played

38 won

32 loss

PsychoStoner

01-22-2013

get a person with super low elo like 1000 and if you are 1300 or so you will always get top and he will always get bottom 100 percent chance.

you guys wont get countered and it raises win chance by 10 fold.

roskosp33

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
You have 70 wins.
You have 56 losses.

Your net is +14 wins.

Your net Elo is +64.

Your net Elo per game is 4.57.
I'm a bit confused by this (not trying to argue, just understand). I figured I played 126 games and have only gained 64 elo. 64 is roughly half of 126, so isn't that 0.5 elo per game? I think your math shows how much elo I received per win.

roskosp33

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoStoner View Post
get a person with super low elo like 1000 and if you are 1300 or so you will always get top and he will always get bottom 100 percent chance.

you guys wont get countered and it raises win chance by 10 fold.

It's worth a shot I guess. I mean, you gotta fail before you succeed. I've just heard of so many people saying they tried carrying their friends and suffered a lot of elo for it. Makes me nervous to try.

PsychoStoner

01-22-2013

nervous? just make a smurf account or use a account a friend doesnt care about. its a huge advantage and 100 percent consistant.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-22-2013

roskosp33, you're like... looking at the wrong numbers in the wrong places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roskosp33 View Post
It's hard for me to believe I have only gained a net total of 64 elo over 126 games. That's roughly 0.5 elo a game. But at the same time I feel cheated due to the fact that I hit 1356 elo and have maintained a positive win ratio, yet am currently at 1284. This shows that I have lost 72 elo while keeping a positive win rate.
You may average a large Elo change on your losses than your wins, but you're not losing Elo while maintaining a positive win rate.

You compared your WIN RATE from 1220 Elo to 1284 to your change in Elo from 1356 to 1284. And then make the claim that you're keeping a positive win-rate yet lost 72 Elo.

Let's say I start at 1200 Elo, and for easy math, all wins and losses are worth 10 Elo, okay?

Let's say I play 50 games and I win all 50, right? Now I've gained 500 Elo and I'm at 1700. Okay?

Now... I'm 50-0 remember?

What happens if I lose 40 in a row? Now I've lost 400 Elo and I'm back down to 1300 Elo.

So I look at my win rate. I'm 50-40. Yet I just slipped from 1700 down to 1300. My win rate is positive, so why should I lose Elo?

The thing is, my OVERALL win rate is positive and my OVERALL Elo change is ALSO positive (I went from 1200 to 1300).

My win rate for the first 50 games was positive, and my Elo change over these 50 games was also positive (+500).

However, my win rate for the last 40 games WAS NOT positive (I lost all 40), and therefore my Elo change is negative.

Are you following that part now?

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by roskosp33 View Post
I'm a bit confused by this (not trying to argue, just understand). I figured I played 126 games and have only gained 64 elo. 64 is roughly half of 126, so isn't that 0.5 elo per game? I think your math shows how much elo I received per win.
My math shows your net Elo change average over your net games over 500.

You don't gain Elo for losses. You lose Elo for losses.

If you divided your +64 Elo by your 126 games played, then you get a net Elo change of +0.508 (approximately) per game played. But you have to remember, you won 70 of these games (and gained Elo over these), and lost 56 of these games (and lost Elo over these games).

If your net Elo change was -64 rather than +64, your net Elo change would be -0.508 rather than +0.508 per game. If you won as many as you lost and finished out at the Elo you started at, your net Elo change per game would be 0.000.

That doesn't mean that you didn't gain any Elo for your wins or lose any Elo for your losses. That just means you lost as much in your losses as you gained in your wins.

Keuzen

01-22-2013

While I occasionally don't feel as if I am in the ELO I deserve, I do believe that playing more and more ranked games will determine your ELO. Most complain about their ELO, blaming on their team, but doing bad themselves, and being unhelpful and toxic. I am not saying that you must carry to reach your deserved ELO, but blaming others or raging will not help.
As for the OP's question, yes, I think it is. While Riot really can't measure one's individual skill, I think teamwork and being a nice person will help you win. Try your best and you will get what you deserve.

roskosp33

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
roskosp33, you're like... looking at the wrong numbers in the wrong places...

You may average a large Elo change on your losses than your wins, but you're not losing Elo while maintaining a positive win rate.

You compared your WIN RATE from 1220 Elo to 1284 to your change in Elo from 1356 to 1284. And then make the claim that you're keeping a positive win-rate yet lost 72 Elo.

Let's say I start at 1200 Elo, and for easy math, all wins and losses are worth 10 Elo, okay?

Let's say I play 50 games and I win all 50, right? Now I've gained 500 Elo and I'm at 1700. Okay?

Now... I'm 50-0 remember?

What happens if I lose 40 in a row? Now I've lost 400 Elo and I'm back down to 1300 Elo.

So I look at my win rate. I'm 50-40. Yet I just slipped from 1700 down to 1300. My win rate is positive, so why should I lose Elo?

The thing is, my OVERALL win rate is positive and my OVERALL Elo change is ALSO positive (I went from 1200 to 1300).

My win rate for the first 50 games was positive, and my Elo change over these 50 games was also positive (+500).

However, my win rate for the last 40 games WAS NOT positive (I lost all 40), and therefore my Elo change is negative.

Are you following that part now?
Yeah I understand. I did the math and posted earlier. From 1356 to 1284 I had a positive win rate of 53%. That's why I am getting frustrated. I haven't had a negative win rate since I peaked, yet I have lost a lot of elo.