Is the match making system really that accurate?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ahskance

12-31-2012

Good thread and congrats to OP on bringing your ELO up to over 1300.

roskosp33

12-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahskance View Post
Good thread and congrats to OP on bringing your ELO up to over 1300.
Thanks! I appreciate it! Thanks for reading. Good luck in your games

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-05-2013

Okay, so a running total, if I'm correct...

Out of 79 games:

First pick: 5
Second pick: 5
Third pick: 10
Fourth pick: 13
Fifth pick: 46

Someone can double check my math.

But if my math is right, that's last pick 58% of the time.
Fourth pick: 16% of the time.
Third pick: 12% of the time.
Second and first pick each 6% of the time.

It's still a relatively small sample size, but if you're accurately recording and reporting your results, this is pretty surprising.

roskosp33

01-06-2013

That's what my research has shown me. I have no reason to make up these numbers. That wouldn't benefit me in any way.

The only other thing I can think of is that when I do get a role in 1st or 2cd pick, my win % is much higher then if I am one of the last picks. I honestly think the elo system sees this and places me with higher elo players (hence why I would be a lower pick due to the lower elo player gets a low picking order). I am just not sure this is the best way to do things. I understand it is good to move to a higher elo bracket and play with higher elo players, but it also puts you in a weird position where you don't have as much impact on the game (most of the time).

Bacårdi

01-06-2013

Thanks roskosp33

Thread is useful and it'd be good if we could get more people doing similar recordings just to get more attention from reds I might start doing the same

roskosp33

01-09-2013

That would be awesome! I would be interested in seeing what you find.

roskosp33

01-09-2013

Another 20 matches.

1st 7 games (2 win, 3 loss, 2 dodge)
2cd 3 games (1 win, 2 loss)
3rd 2 games (1 win, 1 dodge)
4th 6 game (1 win, 3 loss, 2 dodge)
5th 2 games (1 win, 1 loss)

This is interesting. This is my most even sample yet. I felt I was on a losing streak during these 20 games. No matter how well I preformed or how much of a lead my team had, it felt like the games got thrown. I really need to take a step back and find a way to keep a lead once my team has one.

If anyone has advice, feel free to reply.

roskosp33

01-10-2013

20 matches.

1st 1 game (1 loss)
2cd 1 game (1 win)
3rd 0 games
4th 1 game (1 dodge)
5th 17 games (6 win, 5 loss, 6 dodge)

From my prior entry I thought maybe my position in the picking order was evening out, but after this sample I am really clueless.

Speedkat

01-11-2013

This is really interesting to see.
(compiled totals for you below - win-loss-dodge)

1st pick: 4-4-3
2nd pick: 5-3-0
3rd pick: 3-2-4
4th pick: 3-4-5
5th pick: 24-16-20

You're sitting at literally 60% of your matched games have you in 5th pick.
Also, you have a surprisingly high winrate as 5th pick.
This leads me to wonder who this doesn't happen to, and why.

Do you ever duo queue (outside of these recorded games, I mean)?
And if you do, could you do a sample of what pick you and your partner are? I'm kind of wondering if it's just you that gets 5th pick all the time, or if it's everyone. Duo queue stats might shed some light on that.

(also, bumping because I don't want you to quit recording because you think no one's looking anymore)

roskosp33

01-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedkat View Post
Do you ever duo queue (outside of these recorded games, I mean)? And if you do, could you do a sample of what pick you and your partner are? I'm kind of wondering if it's just you that gets 5th pick all the time, or if it's everyone. Duo queue stats might shed some light on that.
I don't record my duo games here, but I have noticed that me and my duo are 1st and 5th pick or 4th and 5th pick almost always. I became more aware of this after PogoPogoPogoPogo mentioned something about it earlier in my thread. He asked me to pay attention while solo quing to see if I had anyone duoing, and if they were duoing what positions they fell into. He said he personally noticed that duos are either 1st and 5th pick or 4th and 5th. Only after he brought it to my attention I started to notice it as well in my own games, both solo and duo.

I can only assume, since pick order goes by elo highest to lowest, that this is caused by a player of higher elo trying to help a friend of lower elo though his sticking point or two players that have a very similar elo trying to climb the elo ladder together.