Who goes mid?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maengsk

10-14-2010

I thought that I had it figured out until last game.

Our line up was: Akali (myself), Pantheon, Sivir, Yi, and Annie

In numerous other games with similar line-ups of no ranged carries, yi would go mid, or I would take mid and shut down the enemy carry.

Sivir said she was taking mid, and I asked her how it would benefit us over Yi going mid, as he is actually a carry. Three of my allies then proceeded to lecture me as to how Sivir should go mid based on her being ranged.

I try not to argue with people much in game, so I simply said "fine, let's see how this works out." In retrospect, it was a very good thing that Yi didn't take mid as he went 0-13-2 by the end of the game.

Who is the most optimal person to take mid if there is no ranged carry?
Also, when should I be going mid with Akali? (I have done it several times and reached my 20 Soul Stealer stacks about 10 minutes before I generally hit 20 in those games, but I am wondering if someone could have benefited more)

The Renekton

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-14-2010

To help answer your question...

The person going mid often is ranged, when there are no ranged people, mid will often be fought over people with ranged abilities, such as pantheon with his javelin and his jump. sometimes also mid champions can be people that can get to the ranged person easily, or instantly, like katarina with her Shunpo ability, other mid champions are people like Mordekaiser, he's a good mid because he has a ranged ability, as well as a shield to help him survive against his enemy.

So if you are ever asked who is going mid, remember, yi is a bad choice, because, while he does have alpha strike, he can still get beat up while running away, its best to have someone with a ranged ability, or a skillshot.

mainly the issue with non ranged going mid, is if they can survive mid against a ranged.

Tyop

10-14-2010

Mid, if the person can list hit/survive well, should always be the person that can benefit the most from the better experience and farm. hands down.

the point of the mid is to be able to put pressure on the side lanes, gank when needed, and carry the team.

Gankers and Carrys tend to work the best mid.

(keep in mind, I'm new to LoL, but not DOTA/HON (pushing 2kgames played on those games combined.)

fooolishfool

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-14-2010

The obvious mid choice on that team is Annie, though prettymuch anyone else except Yi would work pretty ok-ish. In general, you want to prioritize "champions who really desperately need mid" (Vladimir, Karthus, Twisted Fate, Nidalee) followed by "champions for whom a solo lane is really handy" (Aniva > any ranged physical carry > other generic dps casters > random dudes who work solo [Akali, Morde, Pantheon, Katerina, support champions] > pure melee champions (don't do this)).

Also when you have a jungler the "who is going to take the solo lane" question becomes important - some champions are really good in a 1v2 lane and should probably take that over mid (Morde, Janna, Morganna, etc.). Probably more specifically, champions like Mordekaiser and Morganna should ideally never be in a lane with someone else, since they aoe farm infinitely well and won't let their lane partner actually get any last hits (which basically limits laning partners to support champions who don't need gold, but it is better to put those with tanks/carries).

VV that is a better explanation than I could give, but probably hard to pull off in a random low level group. also note that list doesn't include Vlad or Missfortune.

xpsychedelico

10-14-2010

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=97215

Mid tends to depend on a variety of things, most importantly, who do you think you will face mid, and what does your team want to accomplish. This tier list will give you a better idea of who should be going mid.

But ideally it should bank on who you're facing and what your team needs. If you have 2 DPS carries, and one mage, ideally the mage should go mid for better farm so that your team has sufficient magic damage, and their tank cannot simply focus on getting one type of defense. If you have a push orientated team, then a champion like Sivir or Heimer should be going mid in order to drive mid tower down ASAP so that you can group up to knock down the other lanes. Some champions hard counter others, so let's say you know Akali on their team is going to go mid, then you should send a champion with AOE abilities so that they can counter her shroud. Stuff like that, it really depends.

More often than not, ranged champs go mid because it gives them an advantage, they can farm safely from a distance, while melee cannot. There are a few ranged champs who can go mid, but ideally a ranged is best.

Leib Olmai

10-14-2010

In your setup, the best mid would have been :
Annie > Akali > Pantheon > Sivir > Yi

Annie is a GREAT mid, with your set-up there's no question who goes mid.

Leib Olmai

10-14-2010

Double post, forum lag :<