Stealth is an awful gameplay mechanic

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ixioran

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2013

Stealth is ridiculous, srs.

Stealth has been a balance issue since day one

For the longest time, stealth champions have been a pain in Riot's ass to balance, and it still is. It was such an imbalanced mechanic that they were forced to nerf a champion into complete unviability for the longest time until they came up with a solution. And when they finally did, the same champion was too powerful AGAIN, and has received so many nerfs since that rework that it's one nerf away from its previous state of unviabiltity.

They released Rengar afterwords, who could do the EXACT SAME THING, which was pop out of stealth and annihilate anything instantly before they had a chance to respond. Where is Rengar now? Nerfed into a niche pick.

Shaco has also been a problem, as evidenced by his recent nerfs aimed at his ability to ruthlessly counterjungle enemies and get away without being punished through abuse of his stealth mechanic. Akali is quickly becoming a problem as well, in part due to her stealth allowing her to reset her cooldowns safely before dumping all over another target. Twilight Shroud is pretty much the stealth equivalent of the Troll Pool and the Troll Pole.

The point I'm making with the above is that because of the nature of stealth as a flawed game mechanic, stealth champions are either too powerful from abuse of this mechanic or too weak because they could previously abuse it and caught Riot's attention.

You have to jump through flaming hoops while naked in order to counter it.

Your pubes are likely to catch on fire in the process, by the way.

The reason that there are these two extremes is because the mechanic lacks adequate counters. Certainly, there are champion abilities that allow you to uncover stealthed enemies, but most of the time you need to get lucky or the stealthed player in question needs to do something stupid for these to work.

In terms of Items, it's even worse. True vision is the only stealth counter you can buy, and on Summoner's Rift there are only two items that provide it. Both are consumable and finite at the same time, and have very clear drawbacks for the players using them. By simply having a stealth champion, you force your enemies into an unfavorable position of having to buy these limited use items just to fight you on even terms, and on limited occasions.

The last time there was an awful game mechanic, it was called Dodge, and that too, only had a single purchasable counter. It came in the old Sword of the Divine active, which was, coincidentally, also a very limited item in terms of usability. What happened to Dodge? It was removed on the grounds that countering it placed too many disadvantages on the player trying to counter it. While stealth is not as bad, it closely resembles the issue with Dodge in that the amount of item counters it has are far too limited both in terms of availability and power.

It's just not fun to play against.

Really. You invest so many resources into trying to punish a stealth champion like Shaco, and all he has to do is flash- err Deceive away AND get stealth making him impossible to track or target without the aforementioned limited counters. It's so frustrating that you're almost compelled not to even bother trying with punishing him.

Getting murdered instantly from stealth is also not fun either, which is why stealth champions like Rengar, Evelynn and Shaco will remain in a constant state of balance limbo. Because of the flawed nature of the mechanic, stealth champions are destined to be either too strong or too weak.

Intelligent discussion only please, one liners and smart-ass "QQ" comments are neither welcome nor appreciated. I've put time into this, and I expect participants to do the same. Go.

Lion Heart NA

02-20-2013

Oracles and pink wards are your friend

Tempname8956

02-20-2013

I'm fine with it.

Nixzilla

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2013

I find most stealth to be fine to play against, but prob the weakest stealth in the game is my bane and thats Akali W.

2pudge1cup

02-20-2013

dying is a bad mechanic too.

i hate when i get killed its so anti fun.

i have to take a minute to watch other people playing when i wanna still be playing.

BeatRushVII

02-20-2013

125 gold, stealth countered in team fight.

Seriously, a lot of people who play stealth champions don't know how to cope with vision wards being placed in team fights. Akali's tend to just shroud in the middle of fights and die anyway lol

Wirius

02-20-2013

Every good PvPer knows stealth is broken as hell. Why?

Because you don't have to do a damn thing. Other people have to play around YOU.

That's why its annoying as hell to fight against, and why people who want to win at any cost flock to it like fleas to a dog.

pantiez

02-20-2013

Actually dodge was removed because it wasn't a skill stat, you didn't need any particular skill to dodge an attack, just a high enough %. As a twitch or something you do need some sort of skill to decide to and when not to stealth, too early and you die, too late and you're already dead.

Nid is Cancer

02-20-2013

Lee Sin with Pink Wards and Oracles. Congrats, you just wasted a slot for a skill which gives you false security.

RisottoNero

02-20-2013

Everyone knows that stealth is a broken binary mechanic. But seems like every game out there wants it.