Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

So, Vi joins the League because...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xulsigae

12-21-2012

Aye, standards of the League have fallen. You used to be scanned and subject to questioning and exposed to your fears and sins (I'd like to see a failed judgement, as in, someone who wanted to join the League, but was found to be a bad match in the questioning) before you could join. Now (it seems) you can waltz in and say 'Hi! I can kill things in an interesting way' and they'll let you in. You can even use your presence in the League to gain followers for your cult that you later feed to a spider.

NecroticBinder

12-21-2012

Quote:
Xulsigae:
Aye, standards of the League have fallen. You used to be scanned and subject to questioning and exposed to your fears and sins (I'd like to see a failed judgement, as in, someone who wanted to join the League, but was found to be a bad match in the questioning) before you could join. Now (it seems) you can waltz in and say 'Hi! I can kill things in an interesting way' and they'll let you in. You can even use your presence in the League to gain followers for your cult that you later feed to a spider.

Well not ALL champions underwent a thorough judgement. (Vayne, LeBlanc and Swain), some don't undergo judgement for being captured. (Brand, Xerath, etc.)

Elise's reasoning for joining the league makes sense. She acts as a servant to the league, in exchange she gains influence and renowned throughout runeterra making her cult more attractive, which remember, no one knows that she feeds them to a spider.

However, champions like Rengar, Kha'Zix, and Vi seem to have no reasoning that makes sense. While Rengar could hunt them down in the league, to me it makes more sense that he'd try to do so outside of the league so he could gain actual trophies. Same for Kha'Zix. With Vi, I have literally no justification for this because while she might join to punch things, she also has that in piltover. At least a line or two about how she was forced to join after being too aggressive with criminals, or that she followed in Caitlyn's footsteps to have a more interesting job. SOMETHING.

Xulsigae

12-21-2012

If they did judgements, they'd find out about Elise's little plot. As it is, the lack of judgements allows people to get in who otherwise would be prevented (possibly). I doubt the League would let themselves be used to feed a spider.
The others lacked judgements for lore purposes though, not lack of them.

Agreed about Vi.

Did anyone really complain about one liners?

NecroticBinder

12-21-2012

Quote:
Xulsigae:
If they did judgements, they'd find out about Elise's little plot. As it is, the lack of judgements allows people to get in who otherwise would be prevented (possibly). I doubt the League would let themselves be used to feed a spider.
The others lacked judgements for lore purposes though, not lack of them.

Agreed about Vi.

Did anyone really complain about one liners?

Again though. They let Malzahar run around even though they know the void is real. They let Morde, Yorick and Hecarim run around even though in the previous lore no one knew what they were doing.

Also, the others lacked judgements for lore purposes indeed but my point however is that they forced themselves to trick the judgement. Proving that they aren't necessarily needed.

You have to remember that the league is a corrupt institution that as long as you benefit it, it doesn't care terribly much what you do and in fact has done some pretty bad stuff itself (Kalamanda anyone?).

As for complaining about one liners, not really sure.

Xulsigae

12-23-2012

Well did they let him run around? When he tried to make off with Kassadin's daughter and had a fight with him, they shut them both down I believe. Not sure he's actually tricking anyone. Elise seems to say 'Hey, I've got this great religion and you can be a part of it. Just take this nice retreat to the Shadow Isles...'

Well nothing in this game is really 'needed.' We have lore because it makes the game more interesting and fun for people who like that sort of thing. I think the champs that didn't get 'scanned' still were shown to be good characters in spite of not seeing into their minds. You didn't have to. Vayne showed she was seriously prepared to deal with magic attacks, Renekton was finally captured etc.

Not sure it was bad. Sealing an area off after two nations were on the brink of terrible battle seems like the League was doing its job- keeping the peace.

FinalBoss Wilson

12-23-2012

Quote:
SchierkeWiking:
???

It's like they've given up at this point. Most recent champions had been like this:

Stuff happens to he/she/it and he/she/it decides to join the League for no apparent reason.

The league lets people fight for influence points to be used to achieve their goals. If you're weak you don't win and don't get influence. The champs we play and read about are the success. The weak ones get ate up and spit out and the world never notices.

FinalBoss Wilson

12-23-2012

Quote:
Methelod:
Well not ALL champions underwent a thorough judgement. (Vayne, LeBlanc and Swain), some don't undergo judgement for being captured. (Brand, Xerath, etc.)

Elise's reasoning for joining the league makes sense. She acts as a servant to the league, in exchange she gains influence and renowned throughout runeterra making her cult more attractive, which remember, no one knows that she feeds them to a spider.

However, champions like Rengar, Kha'Zix, and Vi seem to have no reasoning that makes sense. While Rengar could hunt them down in the league, to me it makes more sense that he'd try to do so outside of the league so he could gain actual trophies. Same for Kha'Zix. With Vi, I have literally no justification for this because while she might join to punch things, she also has that in piltover. At least a line or two about how she was forced to join after being too aggressive with criminals, or that she followed in Caitlyn's footsteps to have a more interesting job. SOMETHING.

Kha'Zix more likely would be like Nocture, Fiddle, Renekton, etc. They are too dangerous to roam around free and the league imprisions them and uses them for giggles. Rengar would join the league to be able to fight Kha'zix endlessly. All other prey lose their luster after you've found the bi one. Vi would join the league as Cait's partner. Remember out of game we can pick any champ we want but with the countries war with each other they can use only the champions allied with them or will fight for them in exchange for rewards. Noxiains would only fight for Noxus, Zaun or Bilgewater but never for Demacia. Vi would be another all-star for Piltover to compete with. The Lore has huge holes but they can be patched easily. I just wish Riot would hire some people to do it.

HerbaNoctis

12-23-2012

Quote:
Methelod:
And I'll be honest then. You are writing a bad character if explaining why they are in the game ruins the characters story. I understand that there is a limited amount of space, but overall the amount of lore written has been cut back severely. We used to have the JoJ, Judgements, heck, even those little comics for a short amount of time. In my opinion, there needs to either be more lore, or better usage of the small amount of space given in the characters lore.

No, it ruins the story itself. It's out of place and it seems clunky. Just because you're too ****ing stupid to figure out what's happening doesn't mean Riot should dumb things down for you.

NecroticBinder

12-23-2012

Quote:
HerbaNoctis:
No, it ruins the story itself. It's out of place and it seems clunky. Just because you're too ****ing stupid to figure out what's happening doesn't mean Riot should dumb things down for you.

Besides the fact that you are the most painfully obvious troll in a while I'll use you as a reason to expand upon my point. A good story will let you draw some inferences as your post implied, but now then a good story will also guide you in a general direction. With the newest champions we are forced to effectively write most of their story in our heads. This works for mysterious champions like the old Karthus. It however, does not work when you are forced to do it for the majority of the characters when it is completely out of place. We should not be forced to wonder why Vi joins the league of legends with absolutely no hint as to why she did. We can however be forced to wonder why she is called Vi or what it stands for. That is a good mysterious element that could be left up to debate.

As a side note, I find your claim that I lack the intelligence to figure it out humorous given that I've written up posts that you would likely fail to comprehend due to your lack of wit, humour, and discussion skills.

Quote:
Kha'Zix more likely would be like Nocture, Fiddle, Renekton, etc. They are too dangerous to roam around free and the league imprisions them and uses them for giggles. Rengar would join the league to be able to fight Kha'zix endlessly. All other prey lose their luster after you've found the bi one. Vi would join the league as Cait's partner. Remember out of game we can pick any champ we want but with the countries war with each other they can use only the champions allied with them or will fight for them in exchange for rewards. Noxiains would only fight for Noxus, Zaun or Bilgewater but never for Demacia. Vi would be another all-star for Piltover to compete with. The Lore has huge holes but they can be patched easily. I just wish Riot would hire some people to do it.

And here is where my suspension of disbelief is broken. Rengar wants the heads of his prey, joining the league prohibits this OR it creates a major flaw within Warwick's lore. It's not the greatest flaw in the lore but is existent. I believe a better means would be explaining that the league will assist him in finding great prey like Baron Nashor (The real one) and all that in exchange for his services in the league. Kha'zix's lore however is one that again violates this but even worse because they never actually state he is locked up and in fact have been known to let the void entities roam (Malzahar and Kog'maw come to mind).

As for Vi, I believe she has excellent lore outside of the mention of why she joins. It makes no sense without an explanation because by joining the league she inhibits her ability to punch criminals, of course she may join the league just out of a desire to punch things but it's only vaguely implied at best. Caitlyn joined the league because she wanted more power and to better her abilities to catch C so her having a partner in the league doesn't actually work.

As for Riot improving the lore, I agree even if I fear their standards for a senior lore designer may be too high given how little they've shown to care. (It's under riotgames.com for jobs.) So in practice I expect little to come of it.

HerbaNoctis

12-23-2012

Quote:
Methelod:
Besides the fact that you are the most painfully obvious troll in a while I'll use you as a reason to expand upon my point.

Oh good. I'm a troll now. Y'know, back when I was a wee chap, "troll" was reserved for people who were actually attempting to make you mad by posting inflammatory comments, not people you disagreed with.

Quote:
A good story will let you draw some inferences as your post implied, but now then a good story will also guide you in a general direction.

And I think that you're just blatantly missing the guidelines. A lot of the people joining the League are doing it not like Ryze, to protect their scroll, but to represent their city-state. What's so hard to figure out about that?
Quote:
With the newest champions we are forced to effectively write most of their story in our heads. This works for mysterious champions like the old Karthus. It however, does not work when you are forced to do it for the majority of the characters when it is completely out of place.

Or you're overthinking it. Not every champion in the league has some ulterior motive. A fair amount do, but attempting to establish a champion's motivations and ideals in a single short lore bit is a hopeless venture and just stating why a champion is in the League actually limits their character immensely. Look at Annie. She's actually one of the earliest champions released. And she has much more character potential than someone like Alistar. There's nothing complex about Alistar. And guess what? Her lore doesn't include a "why".

Quote:
We should not be forced to wonder why Vi joins the league of legends with absolutely no hint as to why she did. We can however be forced to wonder why she is called Vi or what it stands for. That is a good mysterious element that could be left up to debate.

The hints are there, but they're not even that necessary. It's not always some convoluted process. Joining the League isn't always a huge aspect of a character, and attempting to make it one is detrimental to their character as a whole.

Quote:
As a side note, I find your claim that I lack the intelligence to figure it out humorous given that I've written up posts that you would likely fail to comprehend due to your lack of wit, humour, and discussion skills.

Yes... please, infer more about me from ~30 words.