Champion Pricing & Timing Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sairentosutoka

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
[aws3]news/December_2012/2012_12_20_Champion_Pricing_Changes/Champion Price Reduction Article Banner.jpg[/aws3]

Hey guys,

We’ve been talking to players about how they feel about pricing for a while now – we’ve talked with you on the forums, ran surveys, met with some of you in person, and listened to your feedback.

As a result of those conversations, we’re making some changes to champion pricing aimed at generally lowering champion prices and making it easier for you to add to your champion collection. This plan will involve immediate and ongoing reductions of IP and RP prices of older champions, as well as increasing the time you have to earn IP between champion releases.

We will also be slightly increasing the first-week IP price of new champions to partially offset lower overall prices.

Here’s the plan, which is being implemented immediately:

New Champion Release Schedule

You may have already noticed the rate at which we’ve been releasing champions has slowed. Moving forward, we’re targeting 14-17 new champions in 2013 -- around one every 3-4 weeks. This gives you more time to accumulate IP between champion releases, and it enables our design team to spend more time developing and polishing each new champion.

RP and IP Price Tiers

We’ve also updated the RP cost of champions so that that they’re more strongly correlated with the IP price. RP costs now match IP cost accordingly:

• 450 IP = 260 RP
  • 1350 IP = 585 RP
  • 3150 IP = 790 RP
  • 4800 IP = 880 RP
  • 6300 IP = 975 RP
  • 7800 IP (first week) = 975 RP

Immediate Price Reductions

The seven oldest 6300 IP champions (Ezreal, Vladimir, Renekton, Nocturne, Lee Sin, Brand and Vayne) have all been reduced to 4800 IP/880 RP. As with all permanent price reductions, we’ll automatically refund the difference for anyone who’s purchased one of these champions up to two weeks prior to today. These refunds will likely take at least a few days to fully process.

Price Reduction Schedule

Every time a new champion is released, the oldest 6300 IP/975 RP champion will be reduced to 4800 IP/880 RP.

Also, with every third champion release, an additional champion currently priced at 4800 IP or lower will be reduced to the next lowest tier, based on age and ease of play.

New Champion First-Week IP Price

All brand-new champions will cost 7800 IP/975 RP for the first week only, and will be reduced to 6300 IP thereafter.

Tl;dr:

• New champion launch price is… 7800 IP / 975 RP
  • After one week, the price is reduced to… 6300 IP / 975 RP
  • Each release, the oldest 6300 is reduced to… 4800 IP / 880 RP
  • Each third release, an additional 4800 IP or lower champion is reduced to one of the remaining tiers…
    • 3150 IP / 790 RP
    • 1350 IP / 585 RP
    • 450 IP / 260 RP

i like all exept the new price launch because i barley get to 6300 as it is i dont have every waking our to play this game you know and i still have other champions and runes i need to buy so thats a big your a dick move unless you make the new champion free the first week its out if not your are a huge ****.

tho in the longer run you do save your money on the older 6300's going down and having other tiers go down on a consstant basis.

but still 7800? cant you have it like 700 istead of 7800 thats a bit ****ing much isnt it? thats a full 1500 more so uneeded i think you should change it down or something.

VanguardRaven

12-20-2012

What will happen when Riven eventually gets taken down from 6300 to 4800 IP? Will I get 1500 IP returned since I bought her for 6300?

esthebitan123

12-20-2012

CAn u give us RP for Christmas pls only 500

iceie 0ooo0oo0

Master Recruiter

12-20-2012

i support completely Riot good thinking here =)

Anteka

12-20-2012

This is great. Now I can hoard up IP.... huehuehuehuehue

Wiskunde

12-20-2012

RIOT, please listen to what I have to say. Us that have purchased all of these champs with RP and IP SHOULD be refunded. Not two weeks prior to the purchase, but for all time. It's kind of ridiculous how I paid 975 for a decent bit of 3150 champs and now they went to 790? I should be refunded my 205 RP. I like the idea but that's my only concern. Thanks!

HairyMonkeySack

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyMonkeySack View Post
in the store i just noticed that elise is now older than xerath when you order the champions by release date so you should probably fix that.
you fixed it quickly.... well played riot...

KyooTwo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

I think this is a great idea. So what if you don't have 7800 the first week? That gives you another week to farm up to 6300 and buy it at the regular price, and if you wait another week, the champ will be f2p, and you can check them out. By that time, if you don't have 6300 already, you can figure out whether or not you really want to buy them instead of blowing 6300 and either refunding or crying about it.

Teralisan

12-20-2012

I lol'ed while reading most replies...
that said
I lol'ed harder at the 7800 first week IP
a line from a fanfiction came to me
"New champions are rarely willing to work with rookie summoners, maybe its an ego thing"
lolz
do like the changes though

Beaver Patrol

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

Awesome job Riot! Love the new plan on constant price drops of older champions.
And very good idea on giving the ones that buy new champs with RP a break on new champs,
that one week price increase of IP is a nice feature.