Champion Pricing & Timing Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GOD SlN

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I hate you RIOT!!!!! Making it easy for all these noobs to buy champions that I worked so hard for. I hate you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alaskaneagle

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoryLL View Post
So if I bought Lee Sin about a week ago, I'm not going to get any ip back?

they answered this already, if you bought a champ in the last two weeks that is being reduced you will get the ip back for the difference in the old and new prices.

It's pretty nice of them to do that.

AlexHumphrey

12-20-2012

I heartily approve! Thank you! This is awesome

Dnthmp

12-20-2012

We're increasing champion affordability by....giving you more time to save and less champions to buy. Since you have more time to save, initially you'll have to pay more and if you don't want to then you can always give us real money for the same price. Otherwise, you have additional time to save while you wait for it to come down to regular price. From here you'll have several more weeks to purchase it at our old regular champion pricing. AKA Oh you want this Mercedes? No problem, we're going to make it more affordable for you. Go home and save save save. It'll be the same price when you come back, this should be more affordable. Unless you want to wait until the next 3 models are out then we'll knock a little off the top.

This is a terrible PR spin on an effort to increase more initial RP purchases of released champions. Giving someone longer to save for something doesn't increase its affordability. The price is still the same. The fact they need longer to save to be able to buy it illustrates its "affordability." Additionally you are actually INCREASING the initial cost to purchase, completely off setting the reduced releases and more time to save. This is the exact opposite of making something affordable. The majority of sales come in that first week when something is new to market and people want it, and the only purpose the increased IP cost serves is to reduce the perceived alternative cost of purchasing by other means. Which, in this case turns our to be RP, or in other words, real currency. The other purpose is to offset the time people have to save and pool IP.

TLDR?
-terrible PR/marketing spin to charge the same prices and capture more real currency

Haxixin

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik View Post
they're giving us more time to farm for that IP now, plus its only for the first week

it's not bad, I think I like this.

edit: maybe this will somewhat stop the massive amount of people playing new champs on release. Some people will want to get after the week to save up IP.
WRONG! its all about selling RP this is actually a try to boost RP sells

EnchantressLady

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

yeah, all people fighting and leaving the match for using the same new champ will end!! but i own most of the champions and then they are lowering them. is not fair for people who played lol long time ago u.u i have 2 and a half years in this game u.u

Sënuch

12-20-2012

I love every bit of this change. Including the Increased Launch Price

Kunfite

12-20-2012

AT LAST, our prayers (and suggestions) have been heard.

Still, i've 3 champs left to buy and they are all 3150 ones. But this is a great call for new players!

Pierce7d

12-20-2012

Holy **** Riot is the best company ever.

"Guys, we kinda exceeded all of our goals, and we're outrageously rich now. Let's just start making all of our stuff cheaper so that more people can enjoy more frequently. Let's do this in a neat, organized fashion, so that people will be able to plan their budget appropriately. And for those who enjoy lavish spending and have the luxary of being wealthy, or just simply being truly dedicated, we'll make it so you have an advantage in that it's now harder to get a champion on release, but of course, we don't really want to isolate the community from our new merchandise, so it'll be regular price eventually. That's not to mention we run 2 sales a week anyway, so for those (like me) who don't have infinite $$$ to buy RP, you can just wait until your target item goes on sale."

Bless you Riot. Best marketing I've ever seen, and you truly do appear to care about the community. Keep up the great work.

ShadowJJO

12-20-2012

i like this, and thx for the refound