Champion Pricing & Timing Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

chuckles2197

12-20-2012

I have been waiting for like ever for this to happen. Thank you riot games

Dragull2

12-20-2012

That's VERY good, that's what I always defended, new champion enter, old champion reduced.

Also, it's interesting to charge more for champions in the first week, to reduce the competition of who clicks in the champion first.

EnderForHegemon

12-20-2012

I'm sad to see no rune page updates. Hopefully the next announcement will address this.

DaemRijou

12-20-2012

..Why the 7800 price. No one that knows it'll go down to 6300 would buy it.

Verxing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

Hippalus I have only 1 problem with this price increase for new champions. While increasing the IP price of new champions to 7800 and leaving the RP price the same will increase the amount of Rp purchases on new champions, rational IP buyers will wait a week and then take the reduced price, or decide that the champion is not worth the reduced price and spend it on another champion. However those who become early adopters and are willing to take the increased IP price may feel buyers remorse afterwards when the reduced price takes effect a week later. This may lead to a further decrease in IP purchases and could result in a deadweight loss.

I think that Riot should include a special champion specific rune to those who either take the increased IP price or buy the champion with RP during this period. These runes would be like the Christmas runes, exactly the same as regular runes but with a different image and name that would fit the theme of the new champion.

For example: Vi could have an Attack damage quint called Fist of Fury with a giant fist image on the rune.

This would increase the amount of early adopters since they get something that is in limited supply. These runes would then show up on your rune page as a sort of collectable to show that you bought the champion early. This would not impact game play or matchmaking, since low level players already have a level requirement before being able to use tier 3 runes.

Cheesebeard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

Ahoy thar!

Just thought I'd wag me jaw a bit 'bout these changes:

Some things I really like about this change:

• Makes First-Week champion ownership more exclusive
  • Affords the opportunity to pick up older champions (who may not be as interesting as the newer 6300 champs) at a reduced cost
  • Provides players with an overall boost in champion ownership
  • Allows players to feel more in sync with the release schedule
  • Takes pressure off of the design team, allowing for more complex & thorough champion design
  • Demonstrates Riot's interest in the development of new content, lessening the focus of ALL content (this is kind of a complex psychological thing that I can't do justice to in a bullet point)
  • It pushes players who really want value to purchase new champs with RP over IP, providing Riot with increased income (without riling people up)

Things I am concerned about:
  • Less community testing of new champs upon release (Riot will have more testing time, but there's something to be said for million of trials per day)
  • While increased First-Week exclusivity seems solid, Riot has developed their community through low exclusivity (i.e., exclusivity is a very delicate proposition)
  • Pushing prices up on new champs, and down on many old champs, seems like an overall positive value change, but newer content is of higher-value to players so it will likely be perceived as a "value nerf" (especially for long-time players who already own the reduced cost champs)

Other changes I would like to see:
  • Whenever any costs are increased in any way I think that it's wise for Riot to give players some sort of boost to demonstrate their good will (e.g., a few IP Boosts, or increase the value of RP purchases for a short time)
  • Skin reductions following a similarly stable reduction schedule based upon new releases
  • A more detailed explanation of Riot's decision to take this direction is appreciated by players; transparency is a TREMENDOUS strength of Riot Games -- I cannot emphasize this enough: Transparency is incredibly valuable when developing a strong relationship with the player community.
  • On the e-sports side of things, community investment could be cultivated by tying player rewards to the winning team of large tournaments (this is something I've been thinking about for a while, but won't go into here).

Many thanks to Riot'ers, and for our messenger Hippalus!

I really enjoy the dynamic direction that Riot Games has been increasingly investing into -- I look forward to future developments of this nature!

See you at PAX East, landlubbers!

purplekronik

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenHusky View Post
Read through the thread. The first week price increase is supposed to increase the barrier of entry to people like you, so that there aren't as many people playing a new champ simply to play it while it's OP, and it's not like other champs aren't being reduced in price.

The way I see it,
The older champ price reductions help newer players build up their collection faster.
Potentially profits off new champ hype, which is a smart business decision on Riot's part.
Reduces the number of players playing the new champ the first week, while it still may be OP, alleviating concerns of using them in ranked games.
Only the most dedicated players would buy the champion with RP, or at the higher IP price.

I'm kind of selective of new champs because I don't like playing melee characters, so I am going to have the IP saved up anyway.
will every champ cheap as ****, everyone will have all the champions in no time, therefor everyone will have ip saved up for the new champ releases, therefor everyone that has every other champ because they cost no ip what so ever will have every new champ as they come out, therefor MORE people will have the new champions to come as soon as they come out, riot has no brain, they ruin everything, stupid ******* at riot should get fired

El Dez

12-20-2012

After these recent reductions, the oldest 6300 champ is Yorick who was released 6/22/2011.

Are we going to have to wait a year and a half before a champ hits its second price reduction?

Will it just be Yorick who hits 4800 next release or are you going to do them in batches until you get somewhere comfortable?

RandomGuy928

Recruiter

12-20-2012

I can't think of a single complaint.

This establishes a system that will ensure ongoing fair and consistent pricing.

Bravo, Hippalus. It's about time we got this straightened out.

RavenHusky

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemRijou View Post
..Why the 7800 price. No one that knows it'll go down to 6300 would buy it.
That's kind of the point. It increases the barrier of entry to new champs on everyone, and only the most dedicated players will get to play the new champ the first week.