Champion Pricing & Timing Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

blackmoon132

12-20-2012

Well, I certainly approve of the price reduction policy, and especially the price reductions on older champs. This is really quite nice for newer players trying to build up a larger collection of champions. Thank you riot

Dethanu

12-20-2012

Well i gotta say that was UNEXPECTED.

Ravechaosknight

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
This is the result of a few months of research and testing. It is not a test. My plan is to not think about champion pricing for the next year at least, as there are a lot of other challenges to address.
Alrighty, well, you've got nothing to worry about from me, lol (Look at my account, go a head I'll wait). Some people just don't know how to express themselves. I was just trying to better explain some of the earlier uh. . .sentiments about the IP increase with a thought out response.

Personally I'm happy to see some effort put into this. I own every champ so my collection is complete, and will probably continue to be so. I always find something I enjoy about the new champs even if I'm not a fan of their gameplay. Whether it's lore, or personality, art whatever. The pricing stuff doesn't really effect me, but I have several friends just getting into LoL and they've already expressed aggravation over prices. Hopefully this will help alleviate some of that.

Rawfury0424

12-20-2012

And i bought Renekton before this update...i have yet to receive a refund for the RP difference...awesome

Arcolyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

I am very happy with these changes, I had this idea exactly, albeit my first week was in the 9k ip range, but as I was writing it up, you proved just how smart and forward thinking you were, so I just figured it would only be a matter of time. Good job. Honestly I do wish the first week cost was higher still, but I know that won't be "popular".

People need to understand that the opportunity cost of a champ for veteran players is low as it is(look at any streamer with their 100+k IP), and increasing the barrier of entry to new content drives two things. Desire and will to spend. As it stands, getting to play the new champ on release is a PAIN, and if you spent RP on it, you should be afforded the luxury that buying into the game provides. IP is another option, however that comes with the opportunity costs of champion selection, runes, or rune pages.

New players should be discouraged from purchasing bleeding edge champs. They are likely to be the most in flux things in the game, when they change in a few weeks, they may be confused. Where as if they bought taric or shyvana, they haven't been touched since earlier this year.

Desire is pushed by the exclusivity of the new product because of its entry cost, that and being awesome which relies on the designers(they seem good at this so far). Think status symbol and such. The "will/desire to spend" results in one of two things. Buying into the game, financing its future OR playing the game providing players for the game and fun (hopefully) to all. Either are acceptable by Riot(because they're awesome).

I know this will be iterated upon as appropriate and look forward to the future.

No I don't work for Riot, yet.
Yes I might be a fan man.

Wholesale Dreams

12-20-2012

I just bought ez this morning. when would i be receiving the difference in ip?

SculptorOvFlesh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

Quote:
No, the forthcoming refunds are only for those who paid full price for the champions. And it may take us a couple weeks to get all the refunds processed, as we lowered the price on a lot of champions.
So if i own all the champs that are being reduced, i get refunded the difference for each?

StarGunner

12-20-2012

I love you guys thank you

Rahf

12-20-2012

its about time. Some of the older 6300 IP champs have needed a price reduction for a while now. I personally never buy champs with RP and the high costs have kept me from getting any of the newer champs. This reduction will allow me to get more.

Avalon Bright

12-20-2012

Quote:
This is the result of a few months of research and testing. It is not a test. My plan is to not think about champion pricing for the next year at least, as there are a lot of other challenges to address.
With all due respect: What the **** is wrong with you.

"This is the result of a few months of research and testing." Because anyone seriously believes research is going to show people want more expensive champs. It's not like we've been *****ing up a storm about the 6300 price point for years, or completely against your sudden attempts at this 1350 RP skin bull****.

The only "research and testing" you did was to see how long you could blatantly ignore everything on the forum ever said. But then, that's pretty much typical of Riot these days.