Champion Pricing & Timing Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darkwahn

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Independent of this, we have a "relaunches team" that we're dedicating to this, and you're seeing the results of the art side of that. Our next goal is to get this more sync'd on design and art.

We've already been essentially doing 3-week releases for a few months now, so this change is just us going "Hrm, it does take us longer to create champions at the higher quality level, so let's just do that then."
A relaunches team actually sounds pretty awesome. Good announcements in this thread. 3 weeks is fine for new champs imo.

Villanz

12-20-2012

This is everything I had been wishing Riot would do. Excellent work!

MandyMemory

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

Is anything being done about excess IP? Veteran players are going to have thousands since they aren't benefiting from price reduction, as they already have/don't want the champions they don't have. New champions aren't going to cut it when you only need 225 ip per day to get them, and you get 150 from first win.

Some ideas I had in this thread:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2925338

palpitoad93

12-20-2012

Thank you so much. A big round of applause for Hippalus

ToadKillerDog7

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
[aws3]news/December_2012/2012_12_20_Champion_Pricing_Changes/Champion Price Reduction Article Banner.jpg[/aws3]

Hey guys,

We’ve been talking to players about how they feel about pricing for a while now – we’ve talked with you on the forums, ran surveys, met with some of you in person, and listened to your feedback.

As a result of those conversations, we’re making some changes to champion pricing aimed at generally lowering champion prices and making it easier for you to add to your champion collection. This plan will involve immediate and ongoing reductions of IP and RP prices of older champions, as well as increasing the time you have to earn IP between champion releases.

We will also be slightly increasing the first-week IP price of new champions to partially offset lower overall prices.

Here’s the plan, which is being implemented immediately:

New Champion Release Schedule

You may have already noticed the rate at which we’ve been releasing champions has slowed. Moving forward, we’re targeting 14-17 new champions in 2013 -- around one every 3-4 weeks. This gives you more time to accumulate IP between champion releases, and it enables our design team to spend more time developing and polishing each new champion.

RP and IP Price Tiers

We’ve also updated the RP cost of champions so that that they’re more strongly correlated with the IP price. RP costs now match IP cost accordingly:

• 450 IP = 260 RP
  • 1350 IP = 585 RP
  • 3150 IP = 790 RP
  • 4800 IP = 880 RP
  • 6300 IP = 975 RP
  • 7800 IP (first week) = 975 RP

Immediate Price Reductions

The seven oldest 6300 IP champions (Ezreal, Vladimir, Renekton, Nocturne, Lee Sin, Brand and Vayne) have all been reduced to 4800 IP/880 RP. As with all permanent price reductions, we’ll automatically refund the difference for anyone who’s purchased one of these champions up to two weeks prior to today. These refunds will likely take at least a few days to fully process.

Price Reduction Schedule

Every time a new champion is released, the oldest 6300 IP/975 RP champion will be reduced to 4800 IP/880 RP.

Also, with every third champion release, an additional champion currently priced at 4800 IP or lower will be reduced to the next lowest tier, based on age and ease of play.

New Champion First-Week IP Price

All brand-new champions will cost 7800 IP/975 RP for the first week only, and will be reduced to 6300 IP thereafter.

Tl;dr:

• New champion launch price is… 7800 IP / 975 RP
  • After one week, the price is reduced to… 6300 IP / 975 RP
  • Each release, the oldest 6300 is reduced to… 4800 IP / 880 RP
  • Each third release, an additional 4800 IP or lower champion is reduced to one of the remaining tiers…
    • 3150 IP / 790 RP
    • 1350 IP / 585 RP
    • 450 IP / 260 RP
For people like me who own every champ this is a GIGANTIC kick in the balls. I don't give a damn if the older champs get reduced. But this will most certainly keep me from buying new champs on a regular basis. So because you're gonna lower old champs prices whom already needed to be reduced, now I have to suffer and pay extra, reaping absolute ZERO benefits as a result since I own all the older champs?

How in the hell is that fair? This is garbage.

I'm sure this will go unheard, but I spend a LOT of money on this game. Having not even played 2 years I've already spent over $1000, no exaggeration. Even when I don't buy Champ and skin bundles I buy on average at least ONE skin a week on this game. And when a new champ comes, I'll buy the skin, even if I buy the champ with IP. Between this and the long awaited gifting feature just hitting up summoners for more money and not allowing them to actually gift or trade skins to one another, I feel this game as whole has became much, much more corporate in mindset than it used to be.

I'm sorry Hippalus, when you first came onto the scene I thought you were a class act. Working to make your company money, but also making sure the little people, your consumers were happy too. But with the two mentioned things above and the abomination of the idea of paid temporary ward skins, it all just REEKS of nickle and diming the consumer in the end. I am an EXTREMELY unhappy, albeit loyal customer right now. When do I get my dues? When do I get acknowledged? When do I get recognized as a loyal customer who does an above average level of business with you guys? One would assume that a company's most loyal customers would reap some sort of benefits, rather than be stiffed over by a new business model.

I REALLY wish I could speak to you directly somehow Hippalus. I've got a lot to say, and I don't mean to just rant. I'd love to have a civil discussion involving some of this.

TheStove5137

12-20-2012

I bought Vayne exactly two weeks ago (12/06/2012). Well actually it just hit 12am so 15 days ago. Will I get the IP back or am I late by one day?

Frostbitten

12-20-2012

i feel like this is a cop out... because before i know for a fact someone on the riot team said that champion releases won't always be 6300 ip... and that some were actually going to be 4800 or lower that was their promise to us summoners.... but now with this new strategy it means indefinitely that not one champ is going to be cheaper then 6300 at release... if anything more expensive... because its like when a new car comes out... everyone wants it and will pay top dollar... but after a few weeks the buzz is gone and the "value" isn't as great... that's how i feel about this 7800 ip thing... the first week is the best time to have the new champion to have that "glorious" feeling of having something that no one else does and figuring it out before everyone else and their "tricks"... so now you have to wait until the new car smell is gone i'm just sad because i think there was only one champ that was released below 6300 ip.... with the way you guys are making new heroes, the older ones are already getting out classed by the new ones... so i mean yeah your lowering the prices great... but to the oldest most drawn out champs... that basically majority of the summoners already own... some people may think this is a good thing but i can see right through this! id rather keep the prices the way the are... and since you said "we’re targeting 14-17 new champions in 2013" i feel if you would just make 3 to 5 of those champs cost less then 6300~ that sounds more appealing to me then lowering the price on champions that practically everyone owns.... thats why i feel this is just a way to cop out on their original statement about promising champs to be released lower then 6300 ip... with this idea they basically just totally dodge that and boosted the price! or how about release is 6300 static but every month the hero has been released it goes down by 100/150~ ip .... i love this game and have even spent a decent penny on it.. i dont mind paying for a job well done... i would have no problem with this idea if it wasn't for the promises before about champs being released below 6300 ip.. but to be fair i don't think Hippalus was a part of riot then.. so i doubt he would know about something that was posted that long ago... so i would like his thoughts on this??? riot please respond to me <3

Weiaicunzai

12-20-2012

awesome. guess i have to wait when the champions are 450,though i can see it will be a long time

BabyKame

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Yes the automatic refunds for purchases within the two weeks before this announcement will cover RP and IP, and you'll get an email when they happen.
Don't you think that you should increase it two maybe like 3 weeks? When Ezreal and his skin on sale it was about three weeks ago.. I bought them both on the 4th.. just two days away so I am a little bit mad. :c

Stampede EU

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadKillerDog7 View Post
For people like me who own every champ this is a GIGANTIC kick in the balls. I don't give a damn if the older champs get reduced. But this will most certainly keep me from buying new champs on a regular basis. So because you're gonna lower old champs prices whom already needed to be reduced, now I have to suffer and pay extra, reaping absolute ZERO benefits as a result since I own all the older champs?

How in the hell is that fair? This is garbage.

I'm sure this will go unheard, but I spend a LOT of money on this game. Having not even played 2 years I've already spent over $1000, no exaggeration. Even when I don't buy Champ and skin bundles I buy on average at least ONE skin a week on this game. And when a new champ comes, I'll buy the skin, even if I buy the champ with IP. Between this and the long awaited gifting feature just hitting up summoners for more money and not allowing them to actually gift or trade skins to one another, I feel this game as whole has became much, much more corporate in mindset than it used to be.

I'm sorry Hippalus, when you first came onto the scene I thought you were a class act. Working to make your company money, but also making sure the little people, your consumers were happy too. But with the two mentioned things above and the abomination of the idea of paid temporary ward skins, it all just REEKS of nickle and diming the consumer in the end. I am an EXTREMELY unhappy, albeit loyal customer right now. When do I get my dues? When do I get acknowledged? When do I get recognized as a loyal customer who does an above average level of business with you guys? One would assume that a company's most loyal customers would reap some sort of benefits, rather than be stiffed over by a new business model.

I REALLY wish I could speak to you directly somehow Hippalus. I've got a lot to say, and I don't mean to just rant. I'd love to have a civil discussion involving some of this.
"You mean I now either have to wait 1 week or spend more IP if I want it NAO, RIGHT NAO?!?

Dammit, Riot, I'm an 'merrican, I don't have to put up with this ****!"