Champion Pricing & Timing Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SIMON THE DlGGER

12-20-2012

This is great Riot - thank you!

It's always nice to keep in mind that these changes will result in the long term effect that people will buy more champions and thus invest more time into your game.

Atyres

12-20-2012

Where is a nearly 25% increase on price a only slight increase in price o.0

Not really a fan of the increased price, especially since all the champs went 6300.

Kalasen

12-20-2012

I really like this. I was getting tired of every new champion being 6300 AND price reductions for champions happening so slowly. It was really inflating the average price for champions up toward 6300. I think the ideal would be to have the average stay the same over time. I haven't done the math on this, but this definitely seems like an improvement in that regard. Also it looks a lot more consistent about which champions will be getting reduced price and when. The initial 7800 cost does kind of irk me, but I always wait until at least that champion's first free week to consider unlocking them, to see how they feel and wait for balance changes. So it doesn't really affect me. The rush unlockers will still probably do it, though plenty of them will start waiting a week for the price reduction. Maybe we'll have less of a sudden wave of everyone playing the new champion until we've gotten to try them ourselves on free week.

Anyway, much needed pricing schedule change. While I love how frequently champions have been released in the past, we do have plenty, and I'm fine with a slower schedule to give the design team more time to come up with good concepts. Plus, with them released about once a month, that will line up better with most people's ability to generate 6300 IP, so we aren't constantly slipping backwards on our rate of champions unlocked per champion in the roster.

Krynul

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
[aws3]news/December_2012/2012_12_20_Champion_Pricing_Changes/Champion Price Reduction Article Banner.jpg[/aws3]

Hey guys,

We’ve been talking to players about how they feel about pricing for a while now – we’ve talked with you on the forums, ran surveys, met with some of you in person, and listened to your feedback.

As a result of those conversations, we’re making some changes to champion pricing aimed at generally lowering champion prices and making it easier for you to add to your champion collection. This plan will involve immediate and ongoing reductions of IP and RP prices of older champions, as well as increasing the time you have to earn IP between champion releases.

We will also be slightly increasing the first-week IP price of new champions to partially offset lower overall prices.

Here’s the plan, which is being implemented immediately:

New Champion Release Schedule

You may have already noticed the rate at which we’ve been releasing champions has slowed. Moving forward, we’re targeting 14-17 new champions in 2013 -- around one every 3-4 weeks. This gives you more time to accumulate IP between champion releases, and it enables our design team to spend more time developing and polishing each new champion.

RP and IP Price Tiers

We’ve also updated the RP cost of champions so that that they’re more strongly correlated with the IP price. RP costs now match IP cost accordingly:

• 450 IP = 260 RP
  • 1350 IP = 585 RP
  • 3150 IP = 790 RP
  • 4800 IP = 880 RP
  • 6300 IP = 975 RP
  • 7800 IP (first week) = 975 RP

Immediate Price Reductions

The seven oldest 6300 IP champions (Ezreal, Vladimir, Renekton, Nocturne, Lee Sin, Brand and Vayne) have all been reduced to 4800 IP/880 RP. As with all permanent price reductions, we’ll automatically refund the difference for anyone who’s purchased one of these champions up to two weeks prior to today. These refunds will likely take at least a few days to fully process.

Price Reduction Schedule

Every time a new champion is released, the oldest 6300 IP/975 RP champion will be reduced to 4800 IP/880 RP.

Also, with every third champion release, an additional champion currently priced at 4800 IP or lower will be reduced to the next lowest tier, based on age and ease of play.

New Champion First-Week IP Price

All brand-new champions will cost 7800 IP/975 RP for the first week only, and will be reduced to 6300 IP thereafter.

Tl;dr:

• New champion launch price is… 7800 IP / 975 RP
  • After one week, the price is reduced to… 6300 IP / 975 RP
  • Each release, the oldest 6300 is reduced to… 4800 IP / 880 RP
  • Each third release, an additional 4800 IP or lower champion is reduced to one of the remaining tiers…
    • 3150 IP / 790 RP
    • 1350 IP / 585 RP
    • 450 IP / 260 RP

This is a really brilliant system actually. I fully approve riot, I think you'll get a lot of support for this one. The pool of 6300s will always be expanding, but so will the pool of other prices instead of the seemingly random price reductions. I assume the 4800s will also slowly be trickling down to 3150's and so on and so forth. Kudos to you guys, it was getting a bit silly to have almost all the champions at 6300 when IP had been so difficult to come by.

The most beautiful part is the first week price. Really cuts down on champions coming out and having noobs run around on their first day saying "yeah so and so is my main!" Absolutely brilliant.

Beaumains

12-20-2012

I'm glad that a lot of old 6300 champs are being reduced, but I think you guys may be forgetting something: (as I recall) you guys wanted that tiered system for pricing so that newer players were encouraged to focus on less expensive champions first, then move up to the more expensive (and presumably "better" & more difficult) ones.

For this reason, champions like Vlad, Ez, Corki, Karth, Syndra, and Ori (to name a few), should probably remain at the 6300 level in perpetuity, as they will probably always be among the hardest to learn and master (and because newbies hate Karth). I realize that it's probably too late for some, but Riot should factor in more than the age of a champion when deciding price reductions.

By a similar token, only the easiest, simplest (usually "recommended") champions should be at the lowest price, creating a sort of bell curve in the pricing that reflects champions' difficulty levels.

boohell

12-20-2012

nice

VengefulMarv

12-20-2012

I actually approve of the temporary price increases. It'll hopefully help cut down on the number of people who dodge lobbies when they don't get the new champ.

Also, another subtle but sneaky thing is that you already have a system in place to keep people from abusing things. Limited refunds. If someone were sneaky, they could buy at 7800, refund, re-buy at 6300. But oh wait, you only have three refunds. So nice job on making sure that doesn't work. (Seriously, smart move).

Hawkhell

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

Simply awesome.

blillow

12-20-2012

I am so happy that RiotGames has produced an amazing plan to solve this problem! I agree with the plan so much! Finally, I don't have to save for about 3 months to buy one of these champions that cost 6300 IP. I love how a champions prices are lowered every release! Also, it was a nice thought to refund some of the IP for Vladimir, Nocturne, etc. Keep up the good work!!!!!

Stampede EU

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumains View Post
For this reason, champions like Vlad, Ez, Corki, Karth, Syndra, and Ori (to name a few), should probably remain at the 6300 level in perpetuity, as they will probably always be among the hardest to learn and master (and because newbies hate Karth).
It's like I stepped into some strange parallel universe, with reverse League of Legends. Legends of League.