Auditioning for RIot.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Emmerloth

12-20-2012

Hello my name is Patrick. I'm currently in college completing for a visual and performance art degree(Theatre), my goal is to be a voice actor. The reason I'm mentioning that is I would like to audition to volunteer for Riot. However, (this is the part I'm still lacking) I don't know how to go about that process. So if Riot themselves reply to this with how to work I will follow their instructions, if anyone else would like to help me at least learn the process I need I will take all constructive help I can receive. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this.

Bawd

12-20-2012

I'm very curious as well! I've voiced machinima videos that have over 1 million views on them and I'd like to expand my work!

Dayntee

12-20-2012

I can't speak for Riot, but I've worked a bit in the Voice Over industry and can offer some of my thoughts.

Most video game companies out here will obtain their VO's via agents or agencies. Getting one or the other is highly recommended. In addition, AFAIK, Riot records their stuff locally, so you would need to be in the area. If you're outside Southern California, you might be better suited looking to audition for places that are closer by, or you may want to consider eventually planning on moving to one of the "Voice Over Hubs" of the States (Austin, Texas is a big one, in addition to Los Angeles and the surrounding cities. If you're near or willing to go Canuck, Vancouver is also a hot spot).

Doing what you're doing is well and good, but you should invest in at least one of the following two things, if not both: get some professional training, either through school or training seminars, and get a professional reel done. Even if you have the sound design training, I don't recommend doing your reel yourself. This is because you'll want a critic and a second ear to help you balance your voice and pick a good variety of clips that shows your strengths and flexibility.

As for places you can do this, the Adventures in Voice Acting program in Burbank is a fairly commercialized and reasonably affordable method of getting both (the top tier class will give you a reel). One of the teachers, Tony Oliver, is really great to work with and super friendly, and he'll get you on the right track.

Another option is Crispin Freeman's Training program. If you haven't IMDB'd him, you should, because he's ridiculous. He's worked in anime and video games for YEARS, and he will give you an extremely academic approach to learning what you need to do and where you need to go.

Lastly... never give up. =) Acting of any kind is ridiculously difficult to break into. It takes a lot of time and dedication, and you will need to sacrifice quite a lot to make it if you don't have an extreme stroke of luck. I wish anyone interested the best - I wanted to go that route once. I didn't have what it takes. But I like trying to pass on what I learned to others in the hopes that someone gets to flourish where I didn't.

Good luck!