A Basic Guide to Roleplay Combat

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Trynd The King

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask the Herald View Post
And then you have Riven, who can dodge everything you throw at her, no matter if you made it so that she would get hit by at least ONE thing no matter what she did.
lol I remember the rage.

Ask the Herald

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trynd The King View Post
lol I remember the rage.
It's nothing compared to yours, Tryndamad, the Ragarian King.

Steampwrd Kitten

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Mad Chemist View Post
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2903689
If you want to practice here is the tread for you
Ooh nice, thanks for posting that!

Dear Urgot

12-20-2012

Crabman approves of this.

Ask Talon

12-20-2012

You know, sucks to be me. An assassin who kills people before they can react.

Krokaska

12-20-2012

With the Interrupt, a very important thing is to know when to use it though. If properly used it can make the fight a lot more interesting, but if the user is too 'trigger-happy' when it comes to the Interrupt it can give the opponent the feeling he/she is never allowed to make any move because everything is always cut short.

Another thing that has to do with this is the difference in speed between the fighters. The idea 'one action per turn' works when the fighters are about the same, but if you have for example a heavily armoured fighter with a two-handed weapon fighting against an assassin-like fighter with little to no armour and only two daggers, it means that the assassin is put at a disadvantage because his speed advantage is decreased. Yes, the assassin could just use a faster kind of move, but if he can only use one move before the 'tank' fighter does something in return it means that even though the assassin's move may be faster, he would only be able to use one while his speed might be enough to execute two actions before the tank can react (wouldn't find it that hard to believe some assassin or monk could hit a tank twice before said tank has the opportunity to counter). Of course, the 'one action per turn' system is not bad, since it prevents one person from beating his/her opponent up in one go, but it's not perfect if you look at all the more specific scenarios.

And the obvious thing, realism is important. Even though you are in a fantasy based world, it doesn't mean things don't work along certain rules that must be followed, combat being no exception. Everybody likely already knows this, but using a move that makes little sense (for example, the tank from the previous point swings his/her two-handed weapon, then in mid swing suddenly changes its direction at a 90 degree angle without losing any speed or power behind the attack) will make the opponent feel like the fight is not very realistic any more, and might even react with another nonsense move. I just want to point out, think about your actions and whether they're actually realistic before using them.

MadDoctorMundo

12-21-2012

Mundo does as he pleases.

Geokhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokaska View Post
With the Interrupt, a very important thing is to know when to use it though. If properly used it can make the fight a lot more interesting, but if the user is too 'trigger-happy' when it comes to the Interrupt it can give the opponent the feeling he/she is never allowed to make any move because everything is always cut short.

Another thing that has to do with this is the difference in speed between the fighters. The idea 'one action per turn' works when the fighters are about the same, but if you have for example a heavily armoured fighter with a two-handed weapon fighting against an assassin-like fighter with little to no armour and only two daggers, it means that the assassin is put at a disadvantage because his speed advantage is decreased. Yes, the assassin could just use a faster kind of move, but if he can only use one move before the 'tank' fighter does something in return it means that even though the assassin's move may be faster, he would only be able to use one while his speed might be enough to execute two actions before the tank can react (wouldn't find it that hard to believe some assassin or monk could hit a tank twice before said tank has the opportunity to counter). Of course, the 'one action per turn' system is not bad, since it prevents one person from beating his/her opponent up in one go, but it's not perfect if you look at all the more specific scenarios.

And the obvious thing, realism is important. Even though you are in a fantasy based world, it doesn't mean things don't work along certain rules that must be followed, combat being no exception. Everybody likely already knows this, but using a move that makes little sense (for example, the tank from the previous point swings his/her two-handed weapon, then in mid swing suddenly changes its direction at a 90 degree angle without losing any speed or power behind the attack) will make the opponent feel like the fight is not very realistic any more, and might even react with another nonsense move. I just want to point out, think about your actions and whether they're actually realistic before using them.

Maybe the DM should use a crude class system where each kind of class gets a set number of actions each turn.

Like a assassin gets two actions for a knight's one. That assassin could use one of those actions to try attack and the other to prepare to dodge. The knight could take the hit and try to retaliate or try block the attack and be unable to counter.

Not sure how to run mages this way, as there are nuke mages (Xerath, Morg) and there are machine gun mages (Ryze).

Jaykoboy

12-21-2012

I could say that those last three statements pretty solidly fall under the simply phrase 'no god-moding.' That's pretty much all we have to say over here.

Pretty much the 3.5 rules we have here:

1) No killing without permission
2) No being an ass about everything
3) No god-moding
0.5) No being utterly random and utterly destroying everything or, while we're at it, fix everything with no effort shown whatsoever, as well as control yourself when it comes to speech, topics, and battle.

However, it's only half a rule because two people are exempted from it. Namely, old Lulu and me.

Anyways, that's just the ruleset we've functioned with for a while. It's great that you've expanded! Although I'm no longer exempt...dammit, this is going to be a long rest of the year...

DC WWWWWWWWWWWWW

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykoboy View Post
I could say that those last three statements pretty solidly fall under the simply phrase 'no god-moding.' That's pretty much all we have to say over here.

Pretty much the 3.5 rules we have here:

1) No killing without permission
2) No being an ass about everything
3) No god-moding
0.5) No being utterly random and utterly destroying everything or, while we're at it, fix everything with no effort shown whatsoever, as well as control yourself when it comes to speech, topics, and battle.

However, it's only half a rule because two people are exempted from it. Namely, old Lulu and me.

Anyways, that's just the ruleset we've functioned with for a while. It's great that you've expanded! Although I'm no longer exempt...dammit, this is going to be a long rest of the year...
About the last point... are rants/shouting matches that make sense in RP still allowed?