Is taking Smite for jungling efficient?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Iliketurtle

12-29-2012

Fierce spell needs to be used more

Martyrofsand

12-29-2012

I jungle shyvana a lot on TT and i always take smite/exhaust as my summoners. Makes for faster clears an easier and smoother start and is a good secure for vilemaw. It is 100% preference though so dont be upset if you see someone jungling without it.

Yuanakil

12-30-2012

I always take Smite regardless of which jungler I'm using. As has been stated, this speeds up your jungle (especially if you use it on the golems or the wolves), makes counterjungling much faster and easier, and helps steal Vilemaw. Additionally, due to these factors, it can make for a stronger early-to-mid game and, if you take the Defense summoner spell mastery (which I would recommend), it will net you approxiately ten gold per minute which, in a thirty-minute game, equates to 300. Now, that's not massive or anything, but consider that one point in the gp10 merit from the Utility tree will get you only 180 gold in the same period of time and is much further down in its respective tree.

Furthermore, I take Smite because even on good junglers because the golems are dangerous in the early game. Even though you may kill them easily, you will do so at the cost of either health or, if you buy numerous potions, gold. In my opinion, this is foolish; it is better to start with a gp10 item and potions (three with p-stone, two with Kage's, one with Avarice), because--combined with Smite gold--you will end up at a massive personal gold *and* exp advantage over your opponents prior to altar unlock, and you should almost always be able to clear all three camps at least once. This also allows you to more easily jungle with non-traditional junglers such as Singed and Elise (who are actually extremely good after a few levels).

It's worth noting that you're generally going to need to clear both wolves and wraiths before you can reach level 2, but that you need only clear the golem camp and kill one other monster to cross that gap. Also, the wolves are always inherently dangerous. Consequently, I find that it is wisest for maximum speed to Smite and kill the big golem, take out the smaller one, and go kill the rather easy wraiths (I prefer to start with the big one). At that point, if you use potions properly, you should be near full health and able to decide whether to gank a lane, clear wolves, or simply wait for altars to unlock.

Plus, using Smite will practically guarantee that you can clear the jungle in less than a minute, b, and come back fully healed and with new gear and Smite off cooldown. Alternately, you can spend the respawn time assisting your teammates or counterjungling. Smite is useful in an additional manner if you follow this pattern, because you can watch it in order to judge when you should be heading back to farm.

The only disadvantage to using Smite is that you can't have a fight-ready summoner spell in its place. Realistically, such abilities are useful, but I believe their benefits are far outweighed by those outlined above.