Is taking Smite for jungling efficient?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BabySealHunter

12-20-2012

you should take smite if you plan to jungle. It helps with so many things, even for junglers who don't need it. Anyone who tells you otherwise, well just don't listen to them.

VIOLENTxSHINOBI

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

If I take smite on a fast jungle like Shyv or Amumu I can hit 3 before the altars open, and both lanes are usually 2 still. This is pretty sweet if you have a lane that needs help, or if they are winning and you want to snag an extra altar.

That said, no it is not a must have but it helps early game a lot.

AndersMMO

12-20-2012

http://cndgamingdotcom.wordpress.com...m-composition/

Quote:
Smite:

Smite is the quintessential Jungler’s spell. However, it is a big point of contention in TT. The issue is: on a map where you only have 1 buff that’s related to a minion kill, is taking Smite really worth losing an Exhaust or Ignite? It’s an interesting question, because, with the power level of the TT jungle, many junglers can jungle without smite, thus, the only reason you’d be taking Smite is for Vilemaw secures and or counter jungling. At that point, it’s only worth taking smite if you are confident in your, and your teams, ability to cover your aggressive movements for counter jungles. The use of smite also opens up the opportunity for different early jungle paths and simplifies the process dramatically. It should be noted however that the cost you undergo to take the Smite is dramatic so should you end up taking it, you need to make the plays with it that would have been equivalent of what another summoner would give you (I.E. with an exhaust it would probably net 1-2 kills and a total of 700-800 team gold all things considered; What do I need to counter jungle and/or when and how many times do I need to take Vilemaw for this to be worth it?)

Wolfsark

12-20-2012

I jungle all the time without smite or leashes. If you take the correct masteries and runes for jungling and actually pick a "jungle" character you should have no problems.

You don't need smite now that the altars unlock at 3 minutes instead of 2.

Koldheartedjsp

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caecus Scius View Post
Why doesn't one of you TT jungle experts write out a jungle guide... and then link to it to be helpful to all those who want to know how to jungle well.
because 3s jungling isn't straightforward like it is in 5s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsark View Post
I jungle all the time without smite or leashes. If you take the correct masteries and runes for jungling and actually pick a "jungle" character you should have no problems.

You don't need smite now that the altars unlock at 3 minutes instead of 2.
its pretty damn hard to go incorrect masteries when there's like one, maybe 2 paths for the majority of the games bruisers

hotfire

12-20-2012

As much as I love exhaust / flash, I've been running smite for the early speed boost and counter jungling ease. Also, when I feel starved in midgame it helps me to continue farming while keeping up appearances with the team. Even with a lantern those camps can take longer than I'd like, when you consider how many places you need to be

BastilleDalton

12-21-2012

With strong junglers, smite is not necessary. While certainly it can increase clear time for slower junglers, faster junglers such as Shyv and Mundo can clear all three camps before one resets without the use of smite pretty early in the game (Diana could do it pre-nerf but I haven't played her since). Having an extra ignite or exhaust in a 3v3 situation is pretty strong.

The time that having smite shines is when contesting Vile. Even then it is best to attempt the buff when you have aced or double killed enemy team.

MauxFire

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2012

I have flipped flopped on this topic a few times. When I first began jungling on 3s (all that I do now) I took it to make sure I could get through the jungle. Then some higher elo players told me I was being stupid for playing with it. After playing a LOT more games, I am now firmly in the pro smite position.

Even with champs that clear the jungle fast it is still awesome for getting a super early lvl 2 gank.

I usually start at golems(to max the use of the cool down on smite), smite the big one and move onto wolves. When you are done that you it will be 2:15-2:30 depending on who you are jungling with. Immidately gank either top or bot lane depending on enemy health and teamates lvls. If successful then move in and take their alter, if not successful, you should still have time to walk back to take yours before it opens.

A strong early game in 3s usually equals a win.

Koldheartedjsp

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauxFire View Post
I have flipped flopped on this topic a few times. When I first began jungling on 3s (all that I do now) I took it to make sure I could get through the jungle. Then some higher elo players told me I was being stupid for playing with it. After playing a LOT more games, I am now firmly in the pro smite position.

Even with champs that clear the jungle fast it is still awesome for getting a super early lvl 2 gank.

I usually start at golems(to max the use of the cool down on smite), smite the big one and move onto wolves. When you are done that you it will be 2:15-2:30 depending on who you are jungling with. Immidately gank either top or bot lane depending on enemy health and teamates lvls. If successful then move in and take their alter, if not successful, you should still have time to walk back to take yours before it opens.

A strong early game in 3s usually equals a win.
another reason to take smite is you can quickly steal big wolf when deciding to gank/ jung. Early game those fast big wolf steals are huge

JoelgTwo

12-22-2012

is it even needed to jungle in 3s ive never seen it done granted im only lvl 27 and cant do ranked games yet but i play nunu and only time i see ppl go into jungle is when i fall off my bottom lane to clear it real quick for extra xp and gold if my lane partner is safe can anyone explain the pros vs cons of jungling on 3s i see it as pointless