So far I'm up over 300+ ELO this season, AMA

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iixSILENT

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

I know a lot of people really hate/love the idea of "ELO hell", and for a long time I definitely blamed the "bad luck" or troll team mates. I think there are a few things that can really help you win a lot of games, otherwise ask me what I've done to go from sub 1200 ELO to gold this season

1. Play every role. If you can't play every role, don't play ranked. You will be last pick sometimes, and you'll get stuck playing SOMETHING. Whether its support, ADC, mid, jungle, top...be comfortable playing every lane, every role, and especially unconventional champs for those roles.

2. Duo queue. This is by far the biggest reason I am where I am at this point in the season. I duo queued with a buddy from season two, and he and I skype/play almost every day. We've carried each other through many games, and we pick characters that have good synergy. We also tend to try and play different lanes, because that way we have the ability to snowball different places to give our team the advantage.

3. Watch streams. I've learned so much from watching streams, its really hard to enumerate everything. Watching positions in fights, learning champion damage, mechanics, all of that sort of thing. I especially watch a lot of Doublelift when he duos with Locodoco, because a lot of times I end up supporting in my ranked games. You can carry with supports, and I mainly carry with Nunu or Sona. This goes with being unconventional, because usually when I play a support, I run a full AP page and buy unusual support items. In all honesty, I suck at CSing. However, I make up for it with hyper-aggressive play, good warding, and communication. Most of the time in lower ELOs, people have no idea what they're doing, and a firm but friendly direction is what people need.

4. COMMUNICATION. Communicate, communicate, communicate. No matter WHAT lane you are in, communicate EVERYTHING you know to your team. Flash downs, smites down, ignites down, mias, ping ward locations, buff/objective timers. Anything you and your team can know gives you that much more of an advantage. Communicate your build to team, let them know what you're doing. Tying it to this is BUY WARDS. If you buy 5 wards between 10 minutes and 30 minutes in the game, I can almost guarantee you've done a huge amount of help for your team, whether they know it or not. Knowing enemy movements can help your team gank/avoid ganks, secure objectives, know when to push and when to fall back...all of this can cause huge swings in gold in your favor, which wins games.

I'm sure there will be a huge stream of downvotes and what not for silly reasons, but if you REALLY think you don't deserve to be stuck in 1200 ELO, look at what I've said. Ask a few questions maybe, try to learn something. If you think you've got nothing to learn, and nothing to improve on...well, you do

Fight Money

12-19-2012

Lol I thought this was a thread saying you hit 300 elo

Great thread though nonetheless.

GhuneBeast

12-19-2012

Problem is that not everyone is going to read this :/

However, upvoted. These are key points. I was going to add a fifth point but you pretty much covered it in point 4: Wards are OP.

iixSILENT

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhuneBeast View Post
Problem is that not everyone is going to read this :/

However, upvoted. These are key points. I was going to add a fifth point but you pretty much covered it in point 4: Wards are OP.
Sure, not everyone will read this, but you did

If anybody happens to read it, whether they ask a question, comment, up or downvote...at least they read it. It MIGHT help them in some future game, and if they happen to play better because of that...well that's good in my book. Probably why I main supports I like to help people haha

Shadowed Ruby

12-20-2012

I couldn't agree more about watching other people play!

Even if your net can't handle streams, watched the ranked and ranked team games that come up in the client ''home page''. You'll easily see the mistakes, and clever plays, that others make that you would miss in the heat of things.

KingClement

12-20-2012

Completely agree with you, but today in my ranked games. Either got rage quitters, non-stop trash talkers & OMG wtf is wrong with my net people! lol

VeloZiraptor

12-20-2012

Good thread!
You should add that there are some games you cant win. Everyone has some terrible games. Forget about them, learn from your mistakes.
Try to play on lanes that can carry bad teammates.

TurtleSayuri

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Cowbeast I View Post
Lol I thought this was a thread saying you hit 300 elo

Great thread though nonetheless.
Thats what I thought. xD; but good tips

iixSILENT

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloZiraptor View Post
Good thread!
You should add that there are some games you cant win. Everyone has some terrible games. Forget about them, learn from your mistakes.
Try to play on lanes that can carry bad teammates.
Sometimes yeah this does happen. Once in awhile, you do get games you just cant win...everyone has bad games sometimes, even pro players. We're all human. I think though, if you stick to a solid game plan, and try to lead your team, you'll win a good majority of your games and gain ELO. It may take some people longer than others, but keep at it, you'll get there!

Akira Kid41

12-20-2012

Ive found that unconventional play style is effective in the low 1200 -1400 elo. I went 1v2 apc bot lane today in one of my ranked matches and forced the opposing team into surrender with a team of four. Ended with a score of 8/1/5.

These are all great tips, but do not forget, you definitely cannot rely on the 1200 bracket to carry you out of it. YOU HAVE TO CARRY YOURSELF.