1200 ELO Olaf Guide?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gibbons2284

10-14-2010

I've tried to tank my way out, and tried to support my way out, but each time I get to around 1290 I hit a string of losses and fall into the low 1000s.

I'm going to give carrying my way out a shot. Can anyone suggest a good build for Olaf in the 1000-1200 ELO range that I can use to help get me out?

NinetyNineTails

10-14-2010

I'm not a Prolaf, so I don't really have advice to offer. But why are you taking Olaf to try to carry your way up, rather than one of the other carry or carryish champs?

Also, nooblaf suggestion;
Razor->Bloodrazor
BoSwiftness
Frozen Mallet
Guardian Angel
Banshee's Veil
Bloodthirster

Note that lifesteal doesn't scale well with more HP, but does scale well with armor and MR stacks, and also that the +damage-from-HP component that Olaf offers is, frankly, terrible. And Vicious Strikes has mana vamp, so you'll get life from the on-hit effect on the Bloodrazor. Prolaf? No idea. Maybelaf? Maybe.

SoopaTomato

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-14-2010

^don't listen to that dude

olaf isn't really a carry, but if you really want to try carrying with him, go ahead

clotharmor+5hp pots
wriggles
boots3 or merctreads
randuins
banshees
atmas

basically stack hp/defense items

Gibbons2284

10-14-2010

Well, Trist was my other option, but it takes too much time to farm her up. Most games have recently finished (literally they are at our nexus) before 30 minutes.

Siky

10-14-2010

Easy answer is farm less. People tend to spend too much time farming and not enough time doing what they should be doing (ie; ganking, harassing, pushing).

Tristana's early game power isn't her auto-attack. Speed buffs are good for harassing and pushing when she's low on items. Her main power is jumping behind target(s) and Ulting them into your team or towers early on and doing so tends to net you kills, momentum and money.

Olaf on the other hand needs to either help push during laning phase or take advantage of players who overextend. Lots of people in low ELO either overextend like idiots or they're really defensive to a fault, get ranged champs to eat away at towers as you help push 3v2 lanes between level 4-10.

Biggest issue in your ELO right now is people not knowing how or when to push even if you're doing well so you have to learn and help to lead the team. Sometimes you will lose just because people have no idea what they're doing and they're just being dumb because they want to have fun trying stupid builds in ranked.

Vlad, Garen, Tristana, Morgana, Annie, Mordekaiser etc can all carry teams hard by themselves at low ELO if you know how to play. They have the right skills to just blow people away in pretty much every situation since they can enforce their will. Olaf doesn't have that kind of ability and he takes a lot more skill to do what those other champs can do quite easily and that's kill people almost instantly and then push the entire team back from just showing up in a fight.

Myrolerian

10-14-2010

Well I play Olaf alot now and it took me 7 wins to finally lose. The build I use is :

Doran's Sheild....later on a Frozen Heat.
Beserker Greaves
Frozen Mallet
Warmog's Amor
Atma's Impaler
Bloodthirster

Enjoy.

Redenbacher

10-14-2010

I've been using Wriggle's, Boots, Frozen Mallet, Atma's Impaler to decent success, but I feel it's too slow to get going...

I'm going to try Wriggles, Boots, Youmuu's Ghostblade, and see how that goes.

Seinfire

10-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoopaTomato View Post
^don't listen to that dude

olaf isn't really a carry, but if you really want to try carrying with him, go ahead

clotharmor+5hp pots
wriggles
boots3 or merctreads
randuins
banshees
atmas

basically stack hp/defense items
This is pretty much exactly what I do.

Except I'll usually get zerker greaves and banshees before randuin. Lifesteal+ult is sufficient defense against dps, so being burst down is Olaf's biggest weakness early game.

Covenant

10-14-2010

These are all surprisingly decent builds. Building him tanky is smart, and remember to build to counter your foes--not just towards a build.

Low physical damage on the other team, or only one of them? Get that Banshee's first. Facing three heavy physical outputters with only rare nuke damage? Work on Omen ASAP.

I personally think that Bloodrazor is a better item than Atmas for your average Tanklaf because the damage output is pretty high, but I may be totally wrong. I think the magic damage it does can be absorbed by spell vamp from Vicious Strikes... but I'm not positive. If it can't, it's still a good item. If it can, it's super great.

Lemme ask the item forum.

-edit-

Seems it doesn't. I am very sad.

Morinav

10-15-2010

I've never really played tank-loaf. I always build him as something of a slightly tough carry.

Boots of Swiftness
Stark's
Youmuu's
Frozen Mallet
Atma's
Bloodthirsters

I've had good success with him between 1200-1300 Elo.