Taric's Visual Upgrade *also being a grown up adult

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OctopusDropkick

12-18-2012

taken from here, a wonderful piece about taric. Riot, please take a moment to read this.

http://www.chaoticblue.com/blog/2012...to-riot-games/

Quote:
So why the open letter to Riot?

Lately, some champs with very old character models — Katarina, Twisted Fate, Nidalee, Soraka — all got visual upgrades with new art, new animations (including Katarina’s really unfortunate “please come into my ******” recall animation, SIGH), and some new voice samples. Taric isn’t exactly old-old, but he’s aging a bit, and I feel like he could easily be in line for a graphical upgrade and some new voice samples as well. And as long as he might be eligible to go through that, here’s my call to you, Riot: just make him gay already. Don’t wink-and-a-nod things like a giggling schoolboy; put it out there. Have him be out, proud, and a badass tanky support. Hell, if you really want to go the whole nine yards, do something like you have with Caitlin/Jayce/Vi, or Twisted Fate/Graves, or Kha’zix/Rengar: make a boyfriend champ, or maybe even a former lover who’s now a rival, or something. If you want to get real crazy, make him an AD carry so they can bottom together (pause to giggle; I am 12 years old). I guarantee you Taric will still get played, he’ll still have a great space in the lore of the game, and you will be trading in a very adolescent-seeming joke for a mature inclusion of a ***** character in your game.

Considering I heard you say at GDC this year that you want to be “the most player-focused company in the world” and are constantly concerned with the toxicity of your playerbase — which includes deeply homophobic sentiment in many an occasion — I think this would be a great step forward.

Keitterman

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctopusDropkick View Post
taken from here, a wonderful piece about taric. Riot, please take a moment to read this.

http://www.chaoticblue.com/blog/2012...to-riot-games/
Why would Riot need/want to do this?

I think Riot has done a good job with Taric in that if you want to play him and assume he's gay, fine, if you want to play him and assume he's straight, go ahead. as he stands, he has a lot better chance at players relating to him than by polarizing him.

From a PR standpint, Riot has nothing to gain from this except the approval of people that already approve.

If they are looking to make a statement, then that's different, but last I checked they sold video games, not politics.

Lastly, if you're reffering to the word "Gay" and its dergatory counterparts being thrown around everywhere: to suggest that as homophobic is like saying that xbox live players truly belive your mother to be a thing of beauty that they desire fornication from her. They say that as their default "i hate you" some time in the future another word will replace it.

goolancer

12-18-2012

I'm indifferent to Riot officially making Riot gay, I agree he DEFINITELY needs a visual upgrade, but DO NOT...I repeat DO NOT change his voice. That's what makes Taric Taric. His voice and lines are perfect. "Gems are truly, truly, TRULY outrageous" said in the most perfect, creepiest voice ever? No other VA could ever top that delivery.

Ansaa

12-18-2012

As a gay guy myself, I appreciate this but I know that Riot is a company and understand when they don't "out" Taric. If they did something like that, they could run into tons of controversy and complaints from all the loud idiots. Look at Bioware, and how they make gay characters you can have relationships with: They have tons of haters and whiners because of that. Still, its very appreciated! (Thanks Bioware.)

As it is, the subtle "Maybe he is?" is good enough, since its nothing anyone can focus on and rave about, negatively.

But on the other hand, I agree: He DOES need a Visual Upgrade. His hair, especially. He's got the permanent rock-hard hair, perpetually curled. Just like Leona, then need to fix that!

His voice is classic, "Gems... Gems are truely outrageous..." and I doubt that will ever change, its too iconic!

Rule665

12-18-2012

He needs a visual upgrade, but more importantly change his voice...its so annoying

goolancer

12-18-2012

Actually his voice is awesome, sorry dude

Vuther

12-18-2012

If they out Taric now, they can't create a riveting plot in which the public revelation of his homosexuality splinters the very League at its core.

Dinosex

12-19-2012

Taric is fine the way he is, no need to pressure him to come out of the closet, let the man take his time.
but plz if u ever remake him roit dont turn him into a cute girly faced man like ez.

TealNinje

12-19-2012

Taric isn't even gay. He's too fabulous to categorize his status.