Someone please explain ranked games

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chinzy

12-19-2012

I recently hit 30 and im looking to do ranked games once I get 5 more champions to reach the required threshold of 16. What im wondering is, if I am assigned to do the bans during the champion select, can I only ban champions that I own or can I ban any champion even if I dont own it. I mainly only have ADC champions as thats what I am good at, but say I wanted to ban blitz, can I ban him even though I dont have him?

Petrocles

12-19-2012

I believe this is how it works, but not entirely sure to be honest:

If you are selected to do the banning, you can ban any of the champions that are available (owned or free week for those champs) to the 10 players. If none of the players in the game have Eve for example, she will not appear in the list of champions you can ban. However, if just 1 player does own her, she is available for ban.

At this point the games been out for 2+ years and like you said, you are required to own a certain number of champs before you can play ranked - so this generally leaves a pretty huge pool of different champs available in every ranked game, even ones populated by new accounts with just 16 champs each. Even if for some reason all 10 players have only the same 16 champs (+ the free ones on rotation), 6 of them can be banned and still leave enough for a 5v5.

hope this helps, and that im not wrong lol

Chinzy

12-19-2012

Yea that helps a ton, I knew the reasoning behind the 16, was not just aware of which champions i could ban. And if it is as you said, thats great, because I was dreading having to grind elo for the next few months so that I could ban correctly.

All Delete

12-19-2012

Just thought Id throw this out there cause of your ADC comment in your OP but you should be familiar with all other roles as well and at least 3-5 champions in those roles.

Chinzy

12-19-2012

Yea, im planning to buy more junglers/ top laners (since those seem to overlap- I have olaf), and I already have Kat for mid so ill likley pick up another mid and 2 more top lane/ junglers and a support if my nunu gets banned or picked.

Nuker X

12-19-2012

Please please please don't play ranked when you are so limited in champs and roles. It only hurts other people. You cannot go into any ranked game intent on 1 role.

Anyway, how it works is, you pick bans from the enemy team champ pool. So, if someone on the enemy team doesn't have blitzcrank, you can't ban him, but, if someone on your team has him, then the enemy team can ban him.

edit: 1 more thing: in ranked, free champs are not allowed. Just want to clear that up.

Practice with draft normals for awhile.

Mid Is A Feeder

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinzy View Post
I recently hit 30 and im looking to do ranked games once I get 5 more champions to reach the required threshold of 16. What im wondering is, if I am assigned to do the bans during the champion select, can I only ban champions that I own or can I ban any champion even if I dont own it. I mainly only have ADC champions as thats what I am good at, but say I wanted to ban blitz, can I ban him even though I dont have him?
1. If you only mainly have ADC, GTFO. Only play 1 role? GTFO.
2. You can ban champ that any of the oposite team has (eg, if they had for example a pool of ezreal, karthus, lux, morgana, sion, mundo you can ban any of these, even if you own them or not) the main champs people ban are hard CC ones, like malphite, amumu, shen, morgana, blitz or ones with annoying abilities like shen and blitz) go play draft normals.

Chinzy

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchDragon97 View Post
1. If you only mainly have ADC, GTFO. Only play 1 role? GTFO.
2. You can ban champ that any of the oposite team has (eg, if they had for example a pool of ezreal, karthus, lux, morgana, sion, mundo you can ban any of these, even if you own them or not) the main champs people ban are hard CC ones, like malphite, amumu, shen, morgana, blitz or ones with annoying abilities like shen and blitz) go play draft normals.
k

NukedWhale

12-19-2012

Some of the people on this thread are surprisingly hostile...

Before starting ranked...
I'd recommend having a few champs for each role. Ones that you like to play or are good with.

It's nice to have those main champs that people ban (as mentioned by ArchDragon97) because oftentimes when they aren't banned, someone on your team might be really good with them and will want you to pick them and then trade.

I'd also recommend knowing which roles you're better at versus which ones you're not so good at.

Finally, be a kind and decent person in game. Don't berate your teammates or opponents and ignore the overly hostile teammates and opponents on your team. They're not worth engaging.

Good luck and have fun!

Zombiemaster

12-19-2012

you can ban any champion that is available to the 5 opposing players.