Advice on buying a new champion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FairyCharmed

12-19-2012

Hello there summoners!

I'd like to have a few opinions on which champion I should get next. I have 1621IP, which is more than enough to get one champion of 1350IP. I am looking at all types of champs, except the ADC (I suck at last-hitting, so this is a no-no) and jungler (I don't even know where to begin with this role >.>) that fits the price range.

The champions left for me to buy in the range are:
-Annie
-Garen
-Amumu
-Dr. Mundo
-Evelynn
-Fiddlesticks
-Janna
-Malphite
-Nasus
-Singed
-Sion
-Tryndamere
-Warwick
-Zilean

Again, I am not asking for who is the "best" or "worst"; just a few opinions on what YOU think is a good champion to have per role (Top/Mid/Support), and why.

(Huh, @_@ none of them are ADCs... coincidental,no? xD)

Thank you in advance, summoners, and have a good day/morning/evening/night~

EDIT: If you are wondering why I'm posting this here, I am what some consider a "level 30 noob" ^^; I still need a lot of help understanding the metas and other things of the game ^^;

Andarel

12-19-2012

You'll want to get better at last-hitting no matter what role you play, since it's an important part of the game and is incredibly helpful to know: 3/5 roles last-hit religiously.

Most of the champs listed there are good, so that's not a problem. With champs in the 1350 range, feel free to impulse-buy and test out what feels fun. Personally I like Malphite - he's got a good skillset and his ultimate is super-fun to use even if he's banned all the time in Ranked. If you're trying to learn support the only one you probably have is Soraka, so Janna's also a solid pick - she's a very different type of support, and a good one to have for defensive teams. However, don't be afraid to just...buy someone and see if they're fun. For IP prices at 1350 or so, if you can get first win reliably you'll have the money back in a few days.

FairyCharmed

12-19-2012

Hmm, impulse buying? That's not a bad idea, actually ^.^ Now that I have time to look them up more, I'm thinking of buying one of the following three:
-Amumu
-Singed
-Malphite

I know that all three are melee, and have different playstyles, but I'm not sure what kind of playstyles they have (for Amumu and Malphite, are there other options for them other than jungling?)

Sorry if I have so many questions x.x

EclipticPromise

12-19-2012

Amumu was my first champ that I loved, He sure is fun.

Creepy4

12-19-2012

I do really love Amumu. He's pretty much a walking nuke, and can be so much fun to hit your enemies with.

On the other hand I hate Singed, but that's just me. He's very good in the hands of people who know how to play him.

And it's been so long since I've played Malphite that I don't remember much about him.

Andarel

12-19-2012

Amumu basically only jungles, and he's a pretty specific champ: he has a ton of AoE and powerful CC, compensated for with a bad early game and a reliance on landing bandage toss, as well as being heavily mana-gated. His ult is incredibly powerful, and if he starts snowballing he's hard to stop because of how well he can dive towers midgame and once he hits 7 or so. Pick him if you like doing damage and being somewhat tanky, but he can't harass and he needs his team to follow up (unless you go offtank Amumu or even grenade-mumu, but then you die a lot).

Singed is for people who don't like dieing, and just want to do whatever they want. He's impossible to stop if he gets ahead, and he will run into the enemy team, dance around, flip a carry out, poison people, the works. He's strong and fun, but again he has early game issues and needs farm. With farm, he's an unkillable troll of doom.

Malphite is somewhere in the middle. His kit has powerful debuffs attached (aspd slow is fantastic, and the movespeed steal is also really good) and his armor multiplier is really good - he can push, he can dive carries, and his ultimate will win teamfights. Unlike Amumu he can harass, and also unlike Amumu his ultimate will get him into the middle of the enemy team with just the missle. He's less focused on stunning the whole team and more punching past their back line and swatting their AD carry to death like a fly. Iceborn Gauntlet was tailor-made for him, and he can get away with a lot of builds naturally; he's just a good champ. Amumu dives into their team and AoEs everyone, Malphite dives in and starts punching their carries to death. They're both strong, but Amumu has more damage and larger CC while Malphite has persistent debuffs and his shield (and is less reliant on landing line skillshots).

Malph can top, and it gives him more farm/money than jungle. You may want another source of damage in the jungle though, since his damage is kind of middling. He does have some problems with huge lane bullies though, Rumble/Olaf/Teemo are the worst of them.