The Story of the Harrowing

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 22
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ByronicHero

Web Content Editor

Follow ByronicHero on Twitter

10-14-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Each calendar year, the celestial bodies of Runeterra align in a particular astronomical event. This lengthy occasion -- beginning with a partial eclipse on the 18th of October and culminating in a full solar eclipse on the 31st of October -- is of one of the most significant holidays in Valoran. The alignment occurs annually around the time of the harvest, and is known as the Harrowing due to its dusky setting. For obvious reasons, the occasion is marked by superstitions surrounding the world's dark denizens, creepy crawlies, and things that generally go bump in the night.

While rural folks still believe that this is a time of great foreboding, most of Valoran has taken to commemorating the Harrowing through a bit of good, clean fun. Citizens of the city-states don monstrous costumes and exchange holiday sweets with one another as part of the revelry. Large costume parties, where patrons wear either light or dark costumes (with the intention of either warding off or confusing evil) are quite popular, and those of opposite colors are encouraged to exchange gifts with one another. However they're celebrating, all across Valoran, spirits are as high as the night is long.

As with all things Runeterran, the League is a major participant in the holiday festivities. Summoner's Rift is decked out with special lanterns to provide lighting (and a bit of atmosphere) during any scrimmages that take place during the eclipse. Minions are also decked out to honor the occasion, and even some champions choose to join in the merrymaking, donning costumes before they take to the battlefield. Additionally, the alchemists of the Institute of War brew special holiday concoctions, and the rune forges produce special runes for summoners who display valor during this time.

The Harrowing is almost upon us, summoners! So dust off your Dr. Mundo costume, stock up on a few tasty morsels, and get ready to do battle on the Field of Justice!

Frödo Swaggins

10-14-2010

wut?

Wait, I actually got the first post? I am kind of excited by that.

I also love reading your prose Byronic, it makes me smile :3

I can't wear a Dr. Mundo costume though, I would be forced to follow my own corporate advice and cleave my computer if I sat down to play.

KrYoS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-14-2010

Awesome. Can't wait!

wtfmeminpanda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-14-2010

lol i want a dr mundo costume running and yelingl "Mundo goes where he pleases!" in the streets

xSeven

10-14-2010

Halloween? AWesome

CommanderShepard

10-14-2010

I don't get it, Legendary skins bwahaa by Fiddlesticks?

Nevermind, reminds me of last years Fall skins

ZSabre

Adjudicator

10-14-2010

Minions in costumes. Cute.

DTrick

10-14-2010

cool

Soleam

10-14-2010

i hope there's a malphite costume for halloween

Davids Uploader

10-14-2010

I wonder if Baron or the Dragon gets a costume...

Edit: First post as a Senior Member!

1234511 ... 22