Is a mid "supposed" to start roaming at level 3?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Iron Savior

12-19-2012

Do you even lift?

ThatsNotIrony

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoruichi View Post
It's solo Q. ...

2 people cannot defend against 4. ...

Two things with this:

- You say its soloQ, e.g. people are not as coordinated, yet you use the example that 4 people would be ganking bot at lvl 3- 6 ish. This doesn't happen (often) in soloQ unless the mid player is already ahead in lane and feels like roaming...not the situation mentioned where both players essentially just got into lane (lv 3-6) Not many SoloQ players have that coordination to successfully pull off an early level tower dive to come out ahead. And who's to say that your jungler isn't nearby to help out and make it a 3v4? You are making the assumption that their team is hyper aware, coordinated and your team is not.

- Two people can defend against four...see Ez/Vayne + Ali/Leona. With decent mobility and hard CC, 2 can easily fend off a potential 4 man dive.

downvotes? o.O

lol I died again

12-19-2012

If I can't push fast enough, I can't help at 3.
I come gank when I've pushed a bit.

Enviously

12-19-2012

My god, the amount of bias in this thread is astronomical.

It's situational. It's ALWAYS situational.

It depends on what champion you're playing.
It depends on what champions the rest of your team are playing.
It depends on what champions the enemy team is playing.
It depends on how proficient everyone is with their respective champions.
It depends on where exactly everyone else is on the map.
It depends on what objective (kills, buffs, protecting a teammate, global gold/exp from dragon/baron, map control from a tower) is more important at that specific point in time.
It depends on how well you can secure an objective compared to how well you can defend one.
It depends on a lot more than just these factors.

There is no rule of thumb, nor is there a 100% correct choice. These variables are going to change every single game and being able to analyse the game situation will help you improve your tactical decision making.

Skwid1g

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Master View Post
Anyone who can't sit at tower and defend for a little while against a roaming mid is a failure and would've lost you the match anyway.

Your reasoning is absolutely flawed.

The mid laner is not responsible for the lack of skill/knowledge of the bot laners.

No one is responsible for carrying other players on their team, especially during lane phase, which is a segregated phase where anyone leaving their lane is losing CS, gold and XP that is sorely needed in the grand scheme.

Roamers MUST be punished, and the ONLY way to do that is by the other lane sitting at tower defending while your mid laner farms and destroys the opposing mid tower.
Your reasoning is absolutely flawed, there is a reason that high roaming mids are commonly picked in competitive play. Hint: it's because they win games. Sitting at tower doesn't defend against a roam, it means you're losing exp/gold and potentially being dove (which isn't hard to do 3v1 or 4v2, especially with mids like Ahri/Eve/Kat/etc) while your mid does what? Push 1 wave of minions, maybe 2? If people are losing that much against you while roaming they are bad players and aren't roaming effectively.

And yes, it is your job. It's your job to do everything in your power to win, which you aren't doing it. And it wouldn't be "carrying" your team through laning phase, because currently you're dragging your entire team down by AFK farming mid, when you could be helping deal with the enemy mid's roam.

Some of the **** GD says is incredible.

MrFoxx

12-19-2012

A lot of mids can gank better then the jungler, a lot of them think they need to spend 20minutes last hitting minions.

Ive had arguements with people telling me my cs sucks because i only have 30cs 25minutes into the game, meanwhile im 10/0/5.

Ayyy

12-19-2012

I was against an eve that thought she should be roaming pretty early.
I was ryze so I couldn't push as hard as I wanted to. But he didn't get a kill out of it, and ended up pretty behind because of it. People can snowball that hard.

Its very risky ganking early. It's only a good idea if you know for a fact you can recover or you know you can get a kill out of it. Otherwise you're putting yourself further behind. I used to play ap sion all the time, and my usual playstyle was farm a bit, around level 5-6 i'll push up the lane and gank top, then go back. But Sion's hard stun usually leads to a kill in those ganks, so it's worth the risk.

Zacquelias

12-19-2012

Mid is suppose to roam but not so early. You roam usually when you get the 6 or when the enemy mid is heading back enough time for you to head to a lane and back to mid or a lane and back to base to buy then back to mid. If someone is a slow farmer at mid like LB if she don't skill spam, then push heavy then take off roaming before mid is pushed back towards your side. Also keep in mind that when you roam you're losing exp and cs unless you get a kill in your roam. Make your choice wisely.

Grendyn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

You honestly shouldn't no matter the situation. Only appropriate thing is playing an assassin mid and having you and your jungler gank at that time if your lane is REALLY pushed. But honestly roaming for assassin champs usually doesn't start till 4-5-6

Shadow Master

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwid1g View Post
Your reasoning is absolutely flawed, there is a reason that high roaming mids are commonly picked in competitive play. Hint: it's because they win games. Sitting at tower doesn't defend against a roam, it means you're losing exp/gold and potentially being dove (which isn't hard to do 3v1 or 4v2, especially with mids like Ahri/Eve/Kat/etc) while your mid does what? Push 1 wave of minions, maybe 2? If people are losing that much against you while roaming they are bad players and aren't roaming effectively.

And yes, it is your job. It's your job to do everything in your power to win, which you aren't doing it. And it wouldn't be "carrying" your team through laning phase, because currently you're dragging your entire team down by AFK farming mid, when you could be helping deal with the enemy mid's roam.

Some of the **** GD says is incredible.
This just proves that high ELO players can be just as narrowminded as anyone else.

Strategy, i.e. resources, is EVERYTHING.
LoL is not a skirmish arena. It's an RTS.

You don't follow because it's the other lane's job to make the enemy roamer waste time/gold/XP, and also because by the time you realize your opponent is actually roaming and not, say, getting Blue, you won't be able to make it there on time anyway.

"Securing kills" is all well and good, but that's not what lane phase is about.

Lane phase is all about resource accumulation and/or denial.

If bot lane or top lane can't defend against a roamer, that's entirely on them.
During lane phase, it's every lane for itself.
The more the enemy mid laner roams, the less CS/XP he gets, and the more ahead your own mid laner comes out.

Bot lane is perfecly capable of farming minions at tower, and if they're actually being pressured that close to tower, the jungler can easily come in and get kills.

It is NOT the mid or top laner's job to roam. Anyone who does roam is wasting CS/XP and putting their team behind in the long run, And, as above, the long run, strategy, is everything.