Clarification needed: What to do better in the future

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NynaeveaM

12-19-2012

Over the past 2 days I've invested a lot of time into figuring out what has been done wrong by me or possibly by the people judging my Tribunal case.

I've submitted two support tickets, wrote two emails to Social Design.. Staff/Admin something. I've actively linked my thread to other places, been bumping it and demanding any kind of explanation/clarification.
Nothing conclusive yet.

Please note my main concerns in order of importance:
a) The duration of the punishment (read the whole explanation below)
b) The fact that even if I, or anyone else, try my best to learn SOMETHING out of this case, there is nothing I can learn. There's nothing I know not to do in the future. Except maybe not playing badly?
c) Why isn't there more riot staff actively searching for cases like this with the ability to lift punishment and compensate. If it's really 0.7% (Quoting Lyte) of all Tribunal cases then it's not that much of an effort to assign few people to it.
d) Why does it take so long to receive any kind of reply. Companies like Riot already know that the worst thing you can do to your community is to keep people in the dark.

I realize this is not the right forum, but I have seen topics like mine get a huge amount of attention in a very short time. That's why I'll be provocative now, as I said earlier I've tried many things.

Quote:
Original topic name: Only _intentional_ feeding is against the Code

Do you guys agree?

>>EDIT: IF YOU SUPPORT ME YOU CAN UPVOTE MY POST. THAT WAY I HAVE HIGHER CHANCES OF GETTING NOTICED.<<

Well here's my story, lets see who cares.
I'm coming from euw. I spent 4 hours leveling an account to level 5 because posting here seems the only way I have even a slight chance to change something.

I have been banned before. I used to talk bad about people who wouldn't perform well or I would simply flame back. That was more than 12 months ago and back then i realized that I got banned twice because of it. And I became indifferent to most offenses I received, and I learned to accept that usually you can't change your teammates so I ended up not saying anything anymore. Only now and then would I actually try to point out someones mistakes (and i had learned that the only way to do so is by being polite) when I feel that it's a friendly team member I am talking to.

That was one year ago. I had minor breaks from league and I felt that even for myself im enjoying the games much more if I don't complain about my teammates - no matter am I flaming or polite.

Then, 10 months ago I got banned, I think it was for 7 days. I was REALLY upset. Because I dealt with the Summoner's Code after I got banned, I read it very carefully, and I actively tried to be a nice player. Back then you didn't see your report case, I could only guess, I assumed I've been banned for some bad games or maybe for one of the very rare cases I've had to quit a game (sometimes the internet might not work, like once every 500 games?). But I had to accept it.

For the past 10 months I've tried to encourage team members to ignore toxic players and have done so myself. I assumed that I was over those bans I couldn't explain. Even when once a very confusing team member started to talk lies on teamchat and kept telling people to report me (something like "hey stop walking into enemy tower you feed intentionally" - i wasn't doing that at all) - even then I didn't get banned. I'm not saying I'm the most polite person in the whole world but I'd say something offensive to a team member very, very rarely however almost every time there's a chance I say something like well done, wp, great juke etc. Even to my enemies.

That's why I was very confused to receive an email which said my account has been suspended for 14 days. It included the following link:

http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/tribu...e/521756/#nogo

Several things are quite disturbing:

Why do I get banned for 14 days? I've behaved really well - even according to the tribunal for a long time. Don't I deserve a lower punishment? I'm really scared of being close to perma ban now. I love this game I've invested a lot of time in it and I by all means I am trying to respect the rules.

How come a single person(per game) can report me for games I've been absolutely passive, in one I haven't even said anything, and people punish me for that?

I play a lot, I think I have about 2000 normal wins - I'm starting to wonder do people who play a lot end up more often at the tribunal because of "single angry person" bans? Afaik there's not much information on how the tribunal works exactly.

I've heard something about 20% of your games need to get you reported then you end up in tribunal. If that's true it would be awful for people who play much more than an average player - assuming that they are following the Code and are reported without justification they'd get reported with 5 cases at hand all the time. If the same kind of player would play 10 times less than that he'd maybe end up with 1-2 cases and it would be not as likely to get punished.

I would like to know is riots opinion really that it's sometimes ok to get someone banned simply because his teammates were angry for whatever reason, even if he played below average skill level merely because GENERALLY the tribunal works well? How is that justice.

inb4 "you said brainless" - come ON that's not something youd think deserves a ban, they didn't even complain about it and in all honesty, I sometimes take my time to point out an enemy has played badly - to either show that maybe we are not as strong as we thing or to raise morale. I can't remember did I call the enemy brainless, but I could have, prove otherwise.

inb4 "you fed your team lost because of you" -
Quote:
A15: When shall i punish feeders, when not?

Basicly, it is always your decision. Herefore remember, that the report reason is "intentionally" feeding and not just playing bad. Bad players are to be reported as bad player and not as feeder. Bad players are not guilty - you cant get banned cause you play bad!

Here's the short discussion I had on euw:

http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=967314

Last words: This whole thing is so confusing. And frustrating. The tribunal is supposed to ban people as a disciplinary measure, right? What the hell am I supposed to learn from this. I'll get banned and won't know what I have done wrong or what I should have done. I won't know how to behave in the future.

Thanks for your time
Original Thread: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2914962

Reform Card: http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/tribu...e/521756/#nogo

Reddit: http://redd.it/154a0u

spciytaco69r

12-19-2012

wow ok let me just get my reading glasses

Kchaosrei

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

sry i dont see a report card in here. And i am a person of little faith.

NynaeveaM

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kchaosrei View Post
sry i dont see a report card in here. And i am a person of little faith.
The QUOTE made the link not work anymore, fixed

NynaeveaM

12-19-2012

Bump. Need attention

NynaeveaM

12-19-2012

Need more than 5 views.

Rigelina

12-19-2012

The actual link was still butchered for me: http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/tribu...e/521756/#nogo

had to change "tribu...e" to "tribunal/case"

The two things behavior-wise and one other potential issue that I see upsetting people are:

1. Admitting that you insta-locked tristana when someone else called the role. You say you only played normal to practice Trist, but that's quite possibly the reason the other player was in normals as well. I'm not a big fan of calling roles or insta-locking, so I don't really care. It does make you look a little bit like a jerk, though.

2. Using "gay" or any other homophobic slur is frowned upon in the na tribunal, to the point of being insta-punished by a decent chunk of tribunal participants. I don't know if euw is substantially different. Either way, you should probably avoid it.

3. There are some people who look at KDA and say "oh, it's not possible to score x and not intentionally feed." They are a minority, but with #2, it is possible for you to get enough punish votes.

If not for #2, I doubt #3 by itself would have earned you the ban.

NynaeveaM

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigelina View Post
The actual link was still butchered for me: http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/tribu...e/521756/#nogo

had to change "tribu...e" to "tribunal/case"

The two things behavior-wise and one other potential issue that I see upsetting people are:

1. Admitting that you insta-locked tristana when someone else called the role. You say you only played normal to practice Trist, but that's quite possibly the reason the other player was in normals as well. I'm not a big fan of calling roles or insta-locking, so I don't really care. It does make you look a little bit like a jerk, though.

2. Using "gay" or any other homophobic slur is frowned upon in the na tribunal, to the point of being insta-punished by a decent chunk of tribunal participants. I don't know if euw is substantially different. Either way, you should probably avoid it.

3. There are some people who look at KDA and say "oh, it's not possible to score x and not intentionally feed." They are a minority, but with #2, it is possible for you to get enough punish votes.

If not for #2, I doubt #3 by itself would have earned you the ban.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay

"gay" is not a "homophobic slur"

Read the original topic on pages 2-3 there's some discussion on it.

Still, point taken. Even then that's not a conclusive answer by itself.

Rigelina

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NynaeveaM View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay

"gay" is not a "homophobic slur"

Read the original topic on pages 2-3 there's some discussion on it.

Still, point taken. Even then that's not a conclusive answer by itself.
First off, "gay" as a pejorative can be a slur. You used it to describe an action in a videogame, not as a description of someone's sexual orientation. You can point me to a discussion, but that doesn't change anything. If you'd rather defend your behavior instead of making changes to avoid the tribunal, that's fine.

As an analogy, using "Jew" to describe someone who stole a kill would be using the term as a slur, not as a description of someone's religious views.

NynaeveaM

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigelina View Post
First off, "gay" as a pejorative can be a slur. You used it to describe an action in a videogame, not as a description of someone's sexual orientation. You can point me to a discussion, but that doesn't change anything. If you'd rather defend your behavior instead of making changes to avoid the tribunal, that's fine.

Please stop doing assumptions about me, that's not what I said. If you actually read my few posts about it, I actually argued against it, but also I admitted it's something that can be changed. And yet neither me nor the majority of the people commenting agreed that it's THE reason why I should be punished. So far, as far as I'm concerned nobody thinks it's a serious crime. Neither can anyone prove it's not used as a reference to something unusually, instead of something negative.

EDIT May I remind everyone that you are innocent until proven otherwise. Not guilty unless someone can testify you are a good guy.