BTW Riot, just wanted to say...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darkwahn

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
It depends - in the strictest sense, yes, we're a company and therefore "conduct business," but I think how we view business is unique. Basically, we tend to think the following way when making decisions on this stuff:

If we make a game people actually really just love, and update it and keep it engaging, then people will play our game a lot. When people like something a lot, they want to engage more and more with it, and then monetizing it is simpler - just sell stuff people want (note: not NEED) and if they like it, they'll buy it.

So a lot of things we do are focused on this - think of eSports. "That's not making us money" is the biggest understatement I could share, but it makes the game more engaging. And since engagement for us is directly tied to us being successful, then it's a smart thing to do.

I think the reason this works is because it's an honest business model - make stuff people like, get paid to make stuff, use that money to make more stuff, etc.

And honestly, a ton of this is because Tryndamere and Ryze started this thing up because they were gamers that were fed up with how games were being ran and managed. That in and of itself is pretty unique, and something that flows through our internal culture even years later.

Hope you guys know that your success if affecting the gaming world notably. And more small scale developers are trying to think that way as well now. (and some large scale)

Boeing 747 400

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

I prefer remake the skin instead of refunding tho....

Fordhammer

12-19-2012

Quote:
It depends - in the strictest sense, yes, we're a company and therefore "conduct business," but I think how we view business is unique. Basically, we tend to think the following way when making decisions on this stuff:

If we make a game people actually really just love, and update it and keep it engaging, then people will play our game a lot. When people like something a lot, they want to engage more and more with it, and then monetizing it is simpler - just sell stuff people want (note: not NEED) and if they like it, they'll buy it.

So a lot of things we do are focused on this - think of eSports. "That's not making us money" is the biggest understatement I could share, but it makes the game more engaging. And since engagement for us is directly tied to us being successful, then it's a smart thing to do.

I think the reason this works is because it's an honest business model - make stuff people like, get paid to make stuff, use that money to make more stuff, etc.

And honestly, a ton of this is because Tryndamere and Ryze started this thing up because they were gamers that were fed up with how games were being ran and managed. That in and of itself is pretty unique, and something that flows through our internal culture even years later.
Tryndamere and Ryze, huh? I thought they were confined to the Fields of Justice! Sounds like a volatile work environment.

Apollinarius

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcus Veles View Post
Nexon, EA, Activision, etc.

Basically, yes. There's a lot of precedent of games/series/companies having a lot of promise but then when they get popular/big they at best jump the shark, and at worst monetize harder than a collections plate nun with Tourette's.

Generally speaking the louder a playerbase is about this issue, the better a sign it is, actually. It means everyone has (had?) a lot of faith in your company/game/etc. and you're toeing a line they they want you to back away from, and are still believing in you enough to assume you might listen to them and back away from it.

Even if you guys mess up, like ward skin rentals, unlegendaries, 6300 IP 4ever, we still give you guys the benefit of the doubt and have hope you'll set things right eventually. All of the complaining and snide remarks and plying you see on these forums is a sign we still believe in you.
This is what Riot should remember when they hear us complaining. We're not saying that they're bad. We're saying that they are worse than we've come to expect from Riot. Other game companies don't come close, but for many of us, they aren't Riot's competition anymore anyway. Riot is now competing with itself. They are competing with the Riot we wish it were.

They will never be as great as we want them to be, but they should still take our criticism to heart and respond appropriately. The refunds on sale legendaries was a decent thing to do. They cancelled out one breaking of "we will never" with another breaking of "we will never". Namely, they repaired the damage from saying they will never put legendaries on sale and then putting them on sale by going back on their statement that they won't ever refund for price decreases that are far away from original purchase by saying that for legendaries that refund period is forever.

Apollinarius

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yfrappefort View Post
If Riot was "greedy" to begin with, they could easily make the game "non-free" anymore with how popular the game has become since it's launch.
That's the point at which I would stop giving them money I buy RP because I want to give Riot money. This happens because I think they are awesome. If they stopped being awesome, I'd stop giving them money, even if that meant never playing their game again.

After making many hundreds of dollars off of me, Blizzard won't get another penny from me because they suck now. That means that I won't be playing the games that I bought from them, but I'm fine with that.

GoodwicK

12-19-2012

so people who bought legendary skins get free rp, and yet I own legendary skins, but... i don't have any extra rp?

Primanocte

12-19-2012

Quote:
<3

I think it's popular to think game companies are greedy, lifeless entities who are detached from games and players. Maybe players have felt this way from past experiences...I don't know. I just know we're not that way and want to make sure people know it
You guys have done a good job over the course of the past year convincing me that you are, in fact, one of those type of companies that puts the bottom line ahead of customer service and a quality product. Most players are distracted by the fact that Rioters post on these forums with some regularity and seem friendly for the most part when they do grace the forum with their presence. Its a good strategy, it presents a friendlier aspect to Riot and it seems to be paying off because it has garnered Riot an undeserved reputation among most people on this forum.

People come to see the Rioters and their personalities and assume the best because "hey, that guy posted funny stuff in that one thread, he can't be bad" or "He cared enough to post a response to this player complaint so he's not such a bad guy" and this then extends to the whole company. Then people look past things like what Riot did with the 1350 RP skins, or the awful customer service which will never improve as it is now being outsourced to the Philippines, or the unwillingness to make the necessary balance changes to top lane for the past 8 months because they don't want to affect the tournament scene and then not making meaningful balance changes because the new items and jungle were imminent, releasing only one skin with each new champ under the auspices that those new skins would be higher quality when only a few have actually reached that tier of quality, and letting older champs linger in mediocrity for far too long.

People need to realize that Riot is a company. Companies are not inherently good or bad nor should they be lauded for their work. Companies are all about one thing, making a profit, and Riot knows that keeping up the appearance of the friendly small gaming company that puts players first is very important to their bottom line. That, however, is all it is though, an appearance. At the end of the day Riot would alienate half their player base if they thought they could increase their bottom line.

NegaStoat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

like others within this post, I could make a list of things that happened that made me feel disappointed with Riot. I'll just name the one that's at the top of my list.

I really, really wish the Riot team would spend more time testing their intended nerfs for champions before applying them. And when a mistake is made, and the staff admits a mistake is made, I wish they would act more swiftly in effecting a change. Urgot is a great example of this situation.

I'll gladly list two things that make me happy with Riot as well. This recent sale really cheered me up. Thank you.

And no, I haven't forgotten that several months back we had a Half Off sale on rune pages that was run within the same time window of the Refund policy being offered in the store page. That was greatly appreciated, and I know it was a source of revenue loss at the time. But you did it anyway.

So thanks.

Augratafier

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primanocte View Post
You guys have done a good job over the course of the past year convincing me that you are, in fact, one of those type of companies that puts the bottom line ahead of customer service and a quality product. Most players are distracted by the fact that Rioters post on these forums with some regularity and seem friendly for the most part when they do grace the forum with their presence. Its a good strategy, it presents a friendlier aspect to Riot and it seems to be paying off because it has garnered Riot an undeserved reputation among most people on this forum.

People come to see the Rioters and their personalities and assume the best because "hey, that guy posted funny stuff in that one thread, he can't be bad" or "He cared enough to post a response to this player complaint so he's not such a bad guy" and this then extends to the whole company. Then people look past things like what Riot did with the 1350 RP skins, or the awful customer service which will never improve as it is now being outsourced to the Philippines, or the unwillingness to make the necessary balance changes to top lane for the past 8 months because they don't want to affect the tournament scene and then not making meaningful balance changes because the new items and jungle were imminent, releasing only one skin with each new champ under the auspices that those new skins would be higher quality when only a few have actually reached that tier of quality, and letting older champs linger in mediocrity for far too long.

People need to realize that Riot is a company. Companies are not inherently good or bad nor should they be lauded for their work. Companies are all about one thing, making a profit, and Riot knows that keeping up the appearance of the friendly small gaming company that puts players first is very important to their bottom line. That, however, is all it is though, an appearance. At the end of the day Riot would alienate half their player base if they thought they could increase their bottom line.
Riot... I have an idea for a new product.

Tin Foil Teemo Hat.

Zuzum

12-19-2012

bump ^^ good post