BTW Riot, just wanted to say...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LaVache84

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

Logged in to a free 4550 rp, and was mad pumped! Well played, Riot, well played.

Reaper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

All this does Riot is make you shadow scumbags now. We know your true intentions and this cover-up won't save you from the truth, you dirty money grubbing harlots!

Montag

Player Experience Manager

12-19-2012
4 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIOLENTxSHINOBI View Post
Keep up the good work Riot, please don;t ever become one of those companies.
I was listening to Ryze, our CEO, speaking the other day about Riot's company culture. He said, "We're paranoid about our culture." That is, we do everything we possibly can to preserve it, we're always thinking about how we can preserve it, and we quickly purge anything that gets in the way of preserving it. He was presenting the Riot Manifesto to a group of Rioters. The Manifesto is one way we try to preserve the parts of our culture that make it so we don't become like that. I'm confident that the Riot you guys love will remain the Riot you've always loved. Might be different people, might be a little bigger, but the core will stay the same.

Tenshyo

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendak View Post
Well, let's be realistic here - Riot's dropped the ball on many things before. I don't want to make a list, but we all know a few things Riot's really utterly, badly screwed up in the pursuit of profit.
So companies make mistakes, big deal. Hell, Blizzard REALLY dropped the ball on Diablo III (in my opinion of course). Bethesda has dropped the ball before, EA has, Square Enix has, every company ever has.

Let's look at what Morello said earlier:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
When people like something a lot, they want to engage more and more with it, and then monetizing it is simpler - just sell stuff people want (note: not NEED) and if they like it, they'll buy it.
This stands true, for any game, but in my opinion, more so for League. Why else would be buy more than one skin for a champion? Why else would we even think about buying a skin unless we liked the champion?

Best BeatwiferNA

12-19-2012

not many companies have a forum for open discussion, especially in which the higher up of said company engage in said discussions frequently. we are constantly updated, constantly assured, constantly answered. we actually have a part in this company. of course we'll spend money on our own company. its an investment.

XxxLumberJackxxX

12-19-2012

Bendak yyoure a negative nancy. Calm down and enjoy this free game. Or enjoy the luxuries paying for itcreates.

Period.

Zuzum

12-19-2012

while i don't think you guys are greedy it has been a long time since last champion ip reduction! ^^

Arcus Veles

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
<3

I think it's popular to think game companies are greedy, lifeless entities who are detached from games and players. Maybe players have felt this way from past experiences...I don't know. I just know we're not that way and want to make sure people know it
Nexon, EA, Activision, etc.

Basically, yes. There's a lot of precedent of games/series/companies having a lot of promise but then when they get popular/big they at best jump the shark, and at worst monetize harder than a collections plate nun with Tourette's.

Generally speaking the louder a playerbase is about this issue, the better a sign it is, actually. It means everyone has (had?) a lot of faith in your company/game/etc. and you're toeing a line they they want you to back away from, and are still believing in you enough to assume you might listen to them and back away from it.

Even if you guys mess up, like ward skin rentals, unlegendaries, 6300 IP 4ever, we still give you guys the benefit of the doubt and have hope you'll set things right eventually. All of the complaining and snide remarks and plying you see on these forums is a sign we still believe in you.

Apollinarius

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekkal View Post
Riot's been a bit of a let-down lately, especially with just about anything concerning Hippalus (IMO). But, the thing is, I still feel like buying RP is donating to them more than it is getting something for my money. They have a way of developing content and interacting with people that still makes me feel like they're just a bunch of dudes doing the best they can to make things work out (even Hippalus, who I am convinced is from a different planet than I am, is very obviously putting forth what he can).

To me, the only reason I buy RP at all is because I want them to keep going. Any mistakes aside, this is a company I want to see succeed because I genuinely think that they are good for the games industry as a whole.
I can't +1 this enough.

Hippalus has been Riot's answer to the idea that Riot should have a specific direction for their sales team. I recognize the fact that I'm more likely to notice the bad than the good (and there is a fair amount of good that he has done that probably wasn't possible with the previous model) but the overall sentiment is one of disappointment. When you break from the status quo and the change isn't close to 100% positive, you're going to get disappointment.

And yes, my reasons to buy RP are the same as yours. I've come up with an RP buying program when Riot instituted the Tribunal because I felt that was a truly revolutionary approach to community improvement. As a result, I continue to buy RP on a regular basis regardless of whether I am spending it or not. Sure I got a skin here and there, but I used to pay Blizzard a huge annual fee for WoW for what was an incomparably worse experience than LoL. I feel that I should give Riot money to show that I think their business model is brilliant and that they should take over the world

Yfrappefort

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaoShiki View Post
Giving me a 910 RP refund cause I bought one of the legendary skins? Totes brosauce, homie. IDK why people ***** about how 'greedy' Riot is, ignore those losers, you guys are amazing in my book, before and after the free RP. =p. Keep up the good work, guys.
If Riot was "greedy" to begin with, they could easily make the game "non-free" anymore with how popular the game has become since it's launch.