Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Echosniper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2012

Just want to thank you guys at Riot for putting all of this information out there in an easy to find place. This. is amazing. and a big help.

I probably won't go into anything computer related for a few more years, but just having this place to look at information is so nice just for a general outlook. Sure you can google stuff, but I have never seen so much information so easy to access in so little time. Thanks =D

xSubvert

12-22-2012

Just a quick question for anyone with experience. In the university course I'm doing atm (just finished first year) we're pretty much only learning Java as the core programming language (I've picked up a few other things like HTML, CSS, Javascript and SQL in core courses) and I was wondering how much of that would be able to be used to pick up languages like C/C++ because I've heard they have many shared features.

Dukie Brown

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2012

Nah when there are a lot of hefty requirements, those are the easiest to satisfy.

It's when there's very little description, that's when the position is nearly impossible. For example the requirements for partnership managing director at Goldman IB side. They give you no information at all. Nobody even knows what they are, but when someone meets those requirements, everyone in the partnership committee knows it. Hell, everyone in the industry probably knows it.

AbortRetryFail

12-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSubvert View Post
Just a quick question for anyone with experience. In the university course I'm doing atm (just finished first year) we're pretty much only learning Java as the core programming language (I've picked up a few other things like HTML, CSS, Javascript and SQL in core courses) and I was wondering how much of that would be able to be used to pick up languages like C/C++ because I've heard they have many shared features.
Slightly off topic, but when you know one OO language well, you can learn them all. Or at least, you really should be able to; half-life of current skillset is about 2 years, so if you're not good at constantly learning, IT will leave you behind.

Congrats on getting that first year down, I think school is great, but it's billed (at least in the States) as some kind of meal ticket and it isn't. Skills are. School often gives you a better framework than you would develop solo, but at the cost of time you could be spending building experience...