Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot Reinboom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Software Engineer

12-21-2012
42 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarcyBrown View Post
this C++ thing as a software engineer seems to come back a lot,
hey im just curious, can you self learn how C++ works pretty well without a teacher?
Yes. Although it can be a bit of an oddity to do depending on your prior experience.

I'm a self taught programmer who went from doing weird things with scripting languages when I was 9 (Building a Dungeon Master style first person game in RPG Maker 95. Hilarious tech details on that one.), then in to C, then Assembly, and then a roller coaster of languages before I finally hit C++. Once I finally reached classical inheritance based languages, it took me realizing "Oh! These are just structs with a bit of sugar!" before it actually clicked. Small strange hurdles that normally get taken for granted. Everything self taught.

My recommendation for being "self taught" is to actually find others to learn from, even if not directly. I learned C by working on a rather large open source server software for a game that I loved. This also got me a bunch of important auxiliary skills such as the value of source control and merging principles.
C++ I picked up by modding Civilization IV (Firaxis open sourced the gameplay DLL).

Incidentally, my experiences are a very solid case for getting where you want when you don't have the same style of qualifications. I had no formal training in my field, only my own drive to constantly learn, experience, and make (or rake in one case). It was on creating one of these projects that got me noticed randomly and then all my other self driven experiences is what actually got me the second step in to the door.
If you do make awesome, don't hide it from the world. Companies will only pick the flowers they can actually see.

0xalis

12-21-2012

Quote:
hey im just curious, can you self learn how C++ works pretty well without a teacher?

Edit:Forget i said anything, kinda readed through first few pages of the C++ tutorial website,
altough kinda an interesting read my brain is about to explode from too much info.
Of course you can teach yourself. It would just be a challenge that would be pointless to do when you can go to university. I'm not saying it's impossible but going to college is always the safest bet than if you planned to teach it to yourself hardcore and then plan to get a job in it.
You can technically teach yourself anything, but in reality would you hire someone that had on their resume "Masters in computer science" or someone with "taught myself C++ on the internet."
The piece of paper you get is what makes all the difference. I'm sure there are people in a related profession such as a nurse that knows more than some idiot doctor, but they can't be a doctor because they don't have the piece of paper.

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

12-21-2012
43 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light LaserTower View Post
HEY! C is great for micro controls, You take that back!
:P

I've not done micro controllers, so excuse my ignorance. But at the very least, I'd rather right procedural code with a C++ compiler so I can ignore some of the more...eh..."archaic" features of C: forcing all declarations to be at the top of a scope, forcing you to write "void" as your parameter list if it takes nothing, "int" as a default type, etc.

Quote:
Absolutely. In fact, even when you're learning C++ in a more formal setting, you probably learn 50% of what you know from the internet or books.

But you really do need a personal resource. It doesn't need to be a formal teacher; just anyone who can answer your questions or at least give you keywords to google search for. They can help shape your code into more idiomatic structures (which is valuable, even if it is conformism).

JesterTheJoker

12-21-2012

Quote:

Edit:Forget i said anything, kinda readed through first few pages of the C++ tutorial website,
altough kinda an interesting read my brain is about to explode from too much info.
You don't want to start with C++ IMO, start with C, or even Java to get just a general basic feel for programming. If you get a good grasp on those, then yes, with the right motivation you can self teach yourself enough in just about anything to get your foot in the door somewhere where you can get some on the job experience.

I graduated college with a web programming focus, working mostly in PHP (though I had started writing little computer applications in Java) and was able to land a job working for a city as their web master/TV station programmer straight out of college where I was using exclusively C#, which prior to I had never touched. However, because I knew my basics very well, and its quite similar to Java, I was able to just hit the ground running and have never looked back (though I quit that job after about 3 years, cause working for the government BLOWS).

As someone that has worked with programming languages both for web and local applications, I can tell you that a core knowledge and understand of programming principles will trump specific knowledge and ability with a certain language... Fundamentals my friend, fundamentals.

rastarogue

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
But you really do need a personal resource. It doesn't need to be a formal teacher; just anyone who can answer your questions or at least give you keywords to google search for. They can help shape your code into more idiomatic structures (which is valuable, even if it is conformism).
I'll second this. While I was learning C++ in computer science courses, I spent most of my time during class reading the LoL forums, and if I ever got stuck on something asked my friends what their #includes were, then looked up the documentation for them.

Also, the C++ documentation online is fantastic if you know what you are looking for, and if you look up the stanford COSC courses they have some good tips to get started from.

Rin Kuragari

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMontag View Post
Our sexy new careers page has a neat filter feature that allows you to drill down to only the jobs that interest you. Here are a few of the positions that would involve writing in some way.

http://www.riotgames.com/careers?dep...%5D=27&search=
I'd love to have the Senior Creative Designer position but, alas, I do not quite meet the credentials necessary for such a positions. I do not have anything that would not have earned an award from writing just yet.

Would you guys consider commission work as a means of creating new lore or maybe rewriting some old ones?

Damiya

Technical Analyst

12-21-2012
44 of 45 Riot Posts

No shoutouts for Actionscript? Pfft C++ engineers.

MyDeadGrandma

12-21-2012

Mods, please prevent this thread from being locked due to downvotes. This thread is a goldmine.

Darklarik

12-21-2012

Do you guys value 'expirience' gained overseas? How many of your staff in Cali come from another country?

lastly, do you guys have internships? if so for what stuff/roles?

HM2

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2012

"Must be a shill and never admit Riot could do any wrong."