Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kelly Price

12-20-2012

High passion is an essential requirement for top-tier jobs in high-profit companies. Period. Potential without motivation isn't worth a whole lot.

What I need to do is learn how to get motivation and overcome depression. I have no doubt that I could do some amazing things alongside some exceptional people, but I won't be able to get there until I learn to really care about whether or not I do. At least, that's what I see as probable.

I'll have to see about whether one can become Excellence without passion. I'll have that worm's-eye view...

nothingxs

Recruiter

12-20-2012

I'm actually interested in joining Riot, but I'm eyeing their IT department more than anything else.

Unfortunately, my answer to "do you even lift bro" is "nope" so I better hit those weights.

Bolby

12-20-2012

I was looking through a few of the jobs. It is interesting how non of them post a salary or income potential. Really not sure what that means. This is slightly worrying......

Zerocaliber

Recruiter

12-20-2012

Quote:
Garband:
What about the opposite way? I'm about to ramble a lot, so I'll include a tldr at the end.

I'm in a bit of the same situation as Grandolin (Morello replied to him earlier in the thread). Through all of high school all I could think about was my passion for music and how I wanted to be a musician. But then I got into university and realized that a "professional musician" (as defined by most universities) isn't something I wanted to be.

However, during all of this, I became voraciously addicted to League of Legends. I would criticize Riot for doing something, or not doing something, or doing something "The wrong way". I had always done this with games in my life, but eventually it clicked in my head while criticizing Riot.. That it wasn't just unhappiness with whatever I was criticizing.. It was that I wanted to do it differently. I wanted to design a better game -- and since I love League so much, I wanted rather to improve League.

Since then, I've been trying to figure out how to do it. I don't really understand anything about any of it. I've started trying to learn how to code/program, but I always make things harder on myself than they really are, and decided to start by learning C and C++ (which really discouraged me). Now I'm enrolling in college to go into Computer Science, which is what I'm just guessing is the degree I "need" to start working towards my dream job.

But a problem I'm concerning myself with, beyond not having any programming knowledge prior to this upcoming semester, is that while I was researching what I need to do, to pursue this dream of mine.. Almost everything I read said that you need to be able to draw your ideas. So, here comes the tl;dr...

tl;dr -- If I want to be a game designer, or something of the sort, but have no artistic capability.. Is my dream reasonable? Can you just program and be a designer?

Oh, and when I say "design" I just mean being part of making the game. I dunno what else to call it -- maybe producing? lol

By draw what you mean, they simply are saying that you should be able to physically represent your ideas on paper. This is as simple as listing out a flow chart or writing psuedocode of a champion, etc.

O, and a little tip for you. Start by learning Java, C#, or PHP. Even Javascript would be a good starting language to learn. C++ is an unfriendly and unforgiving language and C isn't much better (only because its slightly simpler). Just learning one of those languages will give you the backbone that you need without killing yourself over it. They will let you learn to code without worrying nearly so much about errors, memory, pointers, variable types, etc. They also have a lot more built in functions and tools for you to do things like edit strings.

Only then should you go back and learn C++. Especially if you don't have a super strong interest in it.

Quote:
Bolby:
I was looking through a few of the jobs. It is interesting how non of them post a salary or income potential. Really not sure what that means. This is slightly worrying......

That is usually common practice since not all employees are paid the same in most companies, they want you to actively pursue it a little further before they tell you that information (so they don't let talent slip by and so you are invested in it at that point), and a lot of times you are able to negotiate your salary. Rarely do I see many companies actively post their salary right from the getgo.

Ron Fendo

12-20-2012

Quote:
Bolby:

Not all fields are about making massive money, some are about doing something you genuinely enjoy doing. I can't speak for riot but from people I know in the gaming industry it isn't this gigantic paycheck field, its more on the side of enjoyment. I'm in a position out of college working for united airlines, yes out of college at the second biggest airline in the us, as a project manager for mostly international locations. Most people would consider to be more on the money side but as someone who enjoys, essentially planning events, I lucked out.

I had no experience in the airline industry and my project management skills were on the very small scale coming out of college but as many people have said before getting a job is more about showing whoever is interviewing you why they can't afford to let you work for a competitor. Best tip I can give anyone for an interview is go in with confidence and show them what you can do for the company that nobody else brings.

P0rkchop Express

12-20-2012

Quote:
Sythest:
No offense, but how do companies expect young and fresh minds with requirements like those? It's those type of companies, those that don't even take the time to grant on the job experience and see how it pans out that leave college kids feeling nervous when they graduate. I see what you're saying about companies having a set standard but there are tricks at a great job that you can learn that you would learn in a class room with many other people.

Did you not read what he actually wrote? Some positions years of exp doesnt matter. In other positions it really does matter. Especially those positions that require stratigic thinking and leadership. Theres a reason why the vast majority of management positions require experience to obtain the position.

Those years of experience give you perspective and knowledge of situations that can arise and you can deal with them more effectively.

And BTW most companies, even those that "require" a degree, will take "or equivalent WORK EXPERIENCE". Being in a classroom learning is great, but all it does is give a basis. Until you actually work as the job and DO IT you really dont know what the job is like.

Taria05

12-20-2012

Quote:
Damiya:
I would encourage you to learn how to at least script. You don't need to be an Engineer, but being able to prototype out your ideas and say... take a gameplay idea and put it into practice as a demo.. That's a handy skill to have.

So basically being able to translate your ideas in terms of variables and script actions?

Garband

12-20-2012

Quote:
Atlanis:
As far as drawing goes, I'd say as long as you can get your idea across on paper, even if you can't make it look pretty, you should probably be ok. For example: lets say you were the designer behind Diana for a moment. Could you get across with a simple sketch how her Q would look?

I could.. But I'd be using stick people.

Quote:
Zerocaliber:
By draw what you mean, they simply are saying that you should be able to physically represent your ideas on paper. This is as simple as listing out a flow chart or writing psuedocode of a champion, etc.
What do you mean by pseudocode? Like, a rough draft of how the coding would be?

Quote:
Zerocaliber:
O, and a little tip for you. Start by learning Java, C#, or PHP. Even Javascript would be a good starting language to learn. C++ is an unfriendly and unforgiving language and C isn't much better (only because its slightly simpler). Just learning one of those languages will give you the backbone that you need without killing yourself over it. They will let you learn to code without worrying nearly so much about errors, memory, pointers, variable types, etc. They also have a lot more built in functions and tools for you to do things like edit strings.

Only then should you go back and learn C++. Especially if you don't have a super strong interest in it.
Thanks. I just wanted to learn on C/C++ because my approach to guitar was the same.. I started learning metal songs because they taught more precise and harder techniques than other styles of songs.. And if I can do the harder techniques, the easier ones are quite simple. I view it as lifting weights -- if you can do 10 reps of 80 lbs., why do 15 reps of 60-70lbs.? Do it the hard way to make the easy way even easier.

But then again, I ran into quite some trouble just doing a basic code in a tutorial just because I was using a different program than they were. So I reckon I should start out easy.

Levj

12-20-2012

I must say his thread was created to flame and troll riot but the reds really turned it around and for they should be commended. They turned a flame thread into something constructive that will really help a lot of young professionals. I may not be in this field as im a healthcare provider but my hats off to u rioters.

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

12-20-2012

Quote:
Garband:
Thanks. I just wanted to learn on C/C++ because my approach to guitar was the same.. I started learning metal songs because they taught more precise and harder techniques than other styles of songs.. And if I can do the harder techniques, the easier ones are quite simple. I view it as lifting weights -- if you can do 10 reps of 80 lbs., why do 15 reps of 60-70lbs.? Do it the hard way to make the easy way even easier.

I would actually agree with you. Now, everyone is partial to the way they learned, and I learned C first, then C++, then other languages.

C is a terrible language, but it's the school of hard knocks, and it will teach you what you need to know. It will teach you not to take things for granted, and it will teach you how to shoot anything you want, especially your foot. Most importantly, it lets you move onto any other language and be able to make a damn good prediction as to what's happening under the hood of any function call.

And that is just so, so important.