Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nWaWiz

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodka and Kush View Post
https://riotgames-openhire.silkroad....on=1&jobid=181

- Work tirelessly to launch the League of Legends brand into a new dimension of brand recognition and reach, forging a cohesive marketing strategy and identifying new avenues for recognition and exposure

Experienced: you’ve got ten or more years of professional marketing or brand management experience building kickass brands with wide reach;

wtf rofl..thats just a few
Ur name is Vodka and Kush what in the world would ever make anyone hire you and i smoke weed but i wont act like its some magical herb that makes everithing better no its a drug with almost no health risks...might as well show up to the job interview stoned

Damiya

Technical Analyst

12-19-2012
36 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuhara View Post
What about the people looking to head into design without a programming focus?

In that case, would pen&paper projects be a parallel?
I would encourage you to learn how to at least script. You don't need to be an Engineer, but being able to prototype out your ideas and say... take a gameplay idea and put it into practice as a demo.. That's a handy skill to have.

Manse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
You're welcome to apply if you can back that - my preference would be to hire only people better than me
That sounds familiar. At my last job, I built the engineering department from one guy (me) to a 17 man team and a $350k software budget (just licenses). I told every person my goal was to hire people smarter than me.

BlueGunner

12-19-2012

Rioters (especially Morello): Thank you for all the insight in this thread.

My contract at my current job ends in April, and I'd love to work in such a stellar group as you seem to have. I'm printing out the job description that I most want and putting above my desk at home to help me focus (knowing that it will probably be filled long before I'm available). I'll do everything I can to get myself ready for a similar position when the time is right, and to be able to show you that I'm exceptional.

Keep up the good work.

Talgarn

12-19-2012

So I've seen a lot of questions about design or other types of jobs, but what about something more communications related such as a German coordinator? Would anybody give a little input into something along the lines of that or another coordinator/communicator job? I'm still in high school, but I like to think ahead about what I am going to do in college.

Hamish Wyrm

12-19-2012

I think there is quite a large problem that arises when it comes to trying to be employed in the gaming industry. Many people think because they enjoy games and spend a lot of time playing Pc games or console games that they are destined to work in that industry and it's something they will like doing. I think many people are blinded by their love for playing games.

Sabotag

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

Hey riot, i just got my computer science degree recently...

Are you guys looking for a janitor?

Garband

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiya View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuhara View Post
What about the people looking to head into design without a programming focus?

In that case, would pen&paper projects be a parallel?
I would encourage you to learn how to at least script. You don't need to be an Engineer, but being able to prototype out your ideas and say... take a gameplay idea and put it into practice as a demo.. That's a handy skill to have.
What about the opposite way? I'm about to ramble a lot, so I'll include a tldr at the end.

I'm in a bit of the same situation as Grandolin (Morello replied to him earlier in the thread). Through all of high school all I could think about was my passion for music and how I wanted to be a musician. But then I got into university and realized that a "professional musician" (as defined by most universities) isn't something I wanted to be.

However, during all of this, I became voraciously addicted to League of Legends. I would criticize Riot for doing something, or not doing something, or doing something "The wrong way". I had always done this with games in my life, but eventually it clicked in my head while criticizing Riot.. That it wasn't just unhappiness with whatever I was criticizing.. It was that I wanted to do it differently. I wanted to design a better game -- and since I love League so much, I wanted rather to improve League.

Since then, I've been trying to figure out how to do it. I don't really understand anything about any of it. I've started trying to learn how to code/program, but I always make things harder on myself than they really are, and decided to start by learning C and C++ (which really discouraged me). Now I'm enrolling in college to go into Computer Science, which is what I'm just guessing is the degree I "need" to start working towards my dream job.

But a problem I'm concerning myself with, beyond not having any programming knowledge prior to this upcoming semester, is that while I was researching what I need to do, to pursue this dream of mine.. Almost everything I read said that you need to be able to draw your ideas. So, here comes the tl;dr...

tl;dr -- If I want to be a game designer, or something of the sort, but have no artistic capability.. Is my dream reasonable? Can you just program and be a designer?

Oh, and when I say "design" I just mean being part of making the game. I dunno what else to call it -- maybe producing? lol

Shizuhara

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiya View Post
I may have been a little off in my wording before D:

I've been designing board games, card games, etc. forever. Right now, most of my free time goes into developing those in time for holiday breaks in order to play with friends when we're not in classes. Making a demo is a non-issue since I have several live projects, but none of the games are online because that's not where my audience is (and I have yet to teach myself networking code).

Are those kind of demos out of the question, or a handicap?

Mocking them up to be digital wouldn't be impossible, but the change in mediums may not go smoothly.

Atlanis

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garband View Post
What about the opposite way? I'm about to ramble a lot, so I'll include a tldr at the end.

I'm in a bit of the same situation as Grandolin (Morello replied to him earlier in the thread). Through all of high school all I could think about was my passion for music and how I wanted to be a musician. But then I got into university and realized that a "professional musician" (as defined by most universities) isn't something I wanted to be.

However, during all of this, I became voraciously addicted to League of Legends. I would criticize Riot for doing something, or not doing something, or doing something "The wrong way". I had always done this with games in my life, but eventually it clicked in my head while criticizing Riot.. That it wasn't just unhappiness with whatever I was criticizing.. It was that I wanted to do it differently. I wanted to design a better game -- and since I love League so much, I wanted rather to improve League.

Since then, I've been trying to figure out how to do it. I don't really understand anything about any of it. I've started trying to learn how to code/program, but I always make things harder on myself than they really are, and decided to start by learning C and C++ (which really discouraged me). Now I'm enrolling in college to go into Computer Science, which is what I'm just guessing is the degree I "need" to start working towards my dream job.

But a problem I'm concerning myself with, beyond not having any programming knowledge prior to this upcoming semester, is that while I was researching what I need to do, to pursue this dream of mine.. Almost everything I read said that you need to be able to draw your ideas. So, here comes the tl;dr...

tl;dr -- If I want to be a game designer, or something of the sort, but have no artistic capability.. Is my dream reasonable? Can you just program and be a designer?

Oh, and when I say "design" I just mean being part of making the game. I dunno what else to call it -- maybe producing? lol
I think the most important thing about a degree in terms of becoming a designer is how they make you think. The engineering program that I'm enrolled in, for example, emphasizes critical thinking beyond the material being studied because it is applicable in all areas.

As far as drawing goes, I'd say as long as you can get your idea across on paper, even if you can't make it look pretty, you should probably be ok. For example: lets say you were the designer behind Diana for a moment. Could you get across with a simple sketch how her Q would look?