Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FlyMoto

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblepeasant View Post
@Riot PR / Marketing etc

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...012/full_list/

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-2...12-2012-6?op=1

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquely...k-for-in-2013/

There are surveys and lists like this published every year. What does Riot need to do to get on these lists? From everything I've ever heard about your company (direct things from your employees, in threads like this one, or indirectly from observing the culture), you should have a place among the best.

Recognition like this will only help you attract even better talent, and make the game greater tomorrow than it is today.
It is rather interesting that no gaming companies have made any of those lists (I'm proud that the company I work for is at least on Glassdoor's list... and will probably make the other lists in the next couple years).

I have to imagine it has to do with the high-pressure of most gaming companies and the burn-out rate (I have to imagine that this is, at least, partially due to many people's perceptions on what it must be like to work for a gaming company). Then again, I've only worked in companies that use Agile development so I'm not used to quite as strict of deadlines.

Ashcarr

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I worked at Microsoft, on the XBox360 launch and as QA for Perfect Dark Zero. That experience + being in a top guild got me in as QA for ArenaNet, where I later became a designer.
So that's why the early 360s red ringed all the time... I just lost respect.

Calys Teneb

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcarr View Post
So that's why the early 360s red ringed all the time... I just lost respect.
Dude, it's not hard to fry those dev kits. They're often refurbished shells and power supplies that had dev kit guts stuffed in. We've melted three of them through normal lab use.

Defile8080

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iateurcookie View Post
There are two ways you can take those kind of requirements:

Negative outlook view: OH GAWD, THOSE ARE UNPOSSIBLE!

Realistic view: They want someone with a ton of experience because they have no idea what they're doing, or the person who does know what they're doing doesn't have time to do a billion different jobs....OPPORTUNITY! CHA-CHING!

It's not about what they want, because most people are busy and would rather have YOU tell them what you can give them. That is the difference between someone with a lot of experience and someone with jack for experience.

10 year experience guy: "Oh yeah I have done this kind of thing before, I did (this this this this and this) but I have been flipping (awesome marketing idea) in my head for awhile, and having studied the history of your company, I think it would work extremely well, and I think so because of my experience with (this). I also have a proven track record of working with people in successful environments, so I can tailor that awesome plan I had to fit in even better with your company, and we can work toward (ongoing realistic goal)."

No experience and doesn't know why he wants to get hired guy: "I went to college, I like your game, and I think you should hire me! I'm young! You tell me what to do and I'll do it!"

^^^^That guy will not get hired because he creates work for people. They have to do his job in order to tell him what to do. No thanks.

Opportunistic new guy: "I will admit, I've not worked professionally in this field for long; however, I believe I am more current on the latest research than someone who has been in the field for ages is, and I always keep current with the effective marketing trends. Here's an example (give example of research you've personally done, showing that you don't need someone to tell you how to work, you can make and find your own work). In addition, I DO have a background in this field, I've done (insert notable accomplishments) and I only see my career expanding from this point. I have worked with people who have been in the industry for years, and I know the processes they go through to do this job. I am very qualified to do the job."

Opportunistic new guy would have an extremely high chance of getting the job. One reason is pay; often people will see "new and awesome" as meaning "getting an awesome person to do a job at a lower cost compared to someone who knows what they're worth." Basically, they are trading their know-how for a better resume. The person hiring is like "Woot, save money and get the same thing," and opportunistic guy says "Woot, I don't need a zillion dollars, but working at this level of marketing would be HUGE for my career going forward, and I can always negotiate a higher pay after I prove I'm worth it."

Pretty much this: You want a good job? Make it easy for someone to hire you. Do their work for them, even during the interview. Volunteer information about yourself, ask them specifics on what they are looking for BEFORE the interview, tailor yourself to fill a role. Do research, work with people in the field (some college professors have been doing their jobs for over 30 years and are crafty SOBs, and many will converse with non-students via email if you're interesting and they get something out of it). Basically, it's not THEIR job to hire you, it's your job to hire yourself, and they just have to sign a few dotted lines to make it official.

Hope this helps you future job hunters.
Great sales pitch except you left out the part where the inexperienced guys resume gets thrown in the bin and never makes it to interview.

You said it yourself people are busy they aren't going to give you a chance to sell yourself when there's a 90% chance you will be wasting their time.

Pilige

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

I'm a CS major at a university in NC. If there is one thing my professors have tried to hammer home is that your GPA means nothing if you can't do the work. One in particular basically said if we are not doing our own work outside of the class, we may as well throw away our degree.

What really opened our eyes was when RedHat and Credit Suisse came for recruitment meetings.

To paraphrase the brief discussions about what they look for in new employees: "I don't care what your GPA is or where you graduated from. I want to see what you've done and what you are capable of. Write a Java app, build and manage a database, demonstrate what languages you know. Don't just pigeon hole yourself into one thing. Show that you can learn and teach yourself how to do things."

Since then I have been build small apps that do various things so I have something to show for when I apply to get an internship. Just saying I know Java and C++ is not going to cut it when I am also going to need to know PHP, how to use an Oracle database, how to use Netbeans, etc.

Calys Teneb

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defile8080 View Post
Great sales pitch except you left out the part where the inexperienced guys resume gets thrown in the bin and never makes it to interview.

You said it yourself people are busy they aren't going to give you a chance to sell yourself when there's a 90% chance you will be wasting their time.
I believe it's been stated nine or ten times that you don't have to be employed to gain experience. You can gain experience just by doing SOMETHING that you can show off. Further, it's also been stated where and how to gain entry level positions at any major publisher to gain experience before going to Riot.

Yes, you're probably not going to get the ten-year experience required, six figure job right out of college. You can get something more your speed and impress people to work up.

Life is a journey. Not a destination. Either you get the experience and go to the company you want to work for eventually or you say "They'll never look at me why bother" and guarantee that you won't get to work for them.

Shizuhara

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMontag View Post
Do things. As many things as you possibly can. The more things you have shipped and finished, the more you'll know about the process as a whole, and the more you can prove to someone else that you're totally awesome.

Actually, let me put this in computer science terms. Shipping something -- that is, finishing -- is like compiling your program. You don't know for sure if something works until you compile it. You can go through your code line by line, you can print it out, you can wave your hands around and say it runs great, but you can't prove it until you compile it. That's why you need to do things you can show off. You need to prove you can really be as awesome as you say you can be.
What about the people looking to head into design without a programming focus?

In that case, would pen&paper projects be a parallel?

Noobgrenade

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defile8080 View Post

Dude, if you're in software, work on open source projects. Put them on your resume. If you work in art, put together an epic portfolio, etc. There's always a way you can gain experience if you try. You might have to do it for free, but working 80 hours for free to get a way better job seems worth it.
Hell, find a charity that needs an assistant in a field roughly like yours and volunteer. w/e

Sagee Prime

12-19-2012

Interesting. I am in college and will be graduating soon. I'm currently an intern in the government right now but I'm more interested in a gaming career than where I'm going right now. I'm currently pursuing a degree in Management Information Systems (Kinda boring mix of business and computer science) since it applies to my job options after my internship.

Despite that I have been messing around with games for a long time and I just love developing my own content. I have had tons of experience and fun with the old C&C map making tools and even more so with Starcrafts Staredit and the numerous custom editors like Stardraft and SC-xtra editor. I kinda grew out of those since newer games came out and started playing with the Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 World Editors and even made quite a few maps in Valves Hammer editor.

So I'm just wondering, if I made anything in those would they have any weight in the hiring process and should I put together a portfolio with some of my work in it if I do send in a job application?

I'm interested in the game design and QA positions at RIOT. Also is location a problem if I'm willing to move? I live in the St. Louis area about 10 miles from St. Louis in Illinois.

Thanks
- Sagee Prime

Also if any RIOTers could check this and at the very least forward it to the appropriate parties I'd be most appreciative. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...php?p=32628698

sparksy

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
do you even lift
Morello, you're my hero.