Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Męw

12-19-2012

I'll never figure out how people can be such creative and brilliant artists, my god. Makes the stuff I conjure up look pathetic. /needs to keep honing skills

I'm really happy about how much you explained in the artistic department, Ironstylus. Every post I've read so far from this thread is inspiring.

nennx

12-19-2012

This is a pretty good thread. Many people need to realize that so many people want to go into the game/graphic design and need to understand that they'll never land a job at a "prestigious" company like Riot unless they're truly exceptional.

nothingxs

Recruiter

12-19-2012

Quote:
Vodka and Kush:
3 downvotes rofl..how is 10+ yrs experiecne not a stretch..

...You really don't know how the world works, do you?

Mèdusa

12-19-2012

Quote:
Vodka and Kush:
3 downvotes rofl..how is 10+ yrs experiecne not a stretch..

In all honesty, there are a few factors you aren't taking into consideration.

First of all, it isn't an entry-level position so you are expected to have experience if they are not promoting internally.

Secondly, ten years really isn't *THAT* long of a time. My "experience" started this year, as a first year university student because I'm applying my knowledge and classes to real life scenarios which GIVE me experience. I started university at the age of 17, so by the age of 27 I could arguably be eligible for that position.

nicosharp

12-19-2012

Quote:
Morello:

not being a dick is important (and in many companies, a much bigger problem...).

This is important in and outside of work. For this old man, trained in internet douchbaggery at a young age, its one hard habit to crack.

If you take all of your communication seriously, and your interpersonal relationships in the online communities you participate in, you open up far more doors than you realize. Do not passive aggressively burn your bridges.

I really like my current job, and with my qualifications, and a little luck I may be able to transition into the gaming industry. The wildcard is a sketchy internet tough-guy persona, that is one google search away from potential employers.

Control the rage, and be diplomatic.

Dèíty

12-19-2012

That's why we have anonymous handles to hide behind. If I ever, ever cared about working for a gaming company with an online community then perhaps I would care more about my reputation. Since what I want to do has as little to do with gaming communities as possible, this is one of the few places I can actually say what I think and be rude without having to pay for it in my professional life. Being diplomatic is important but sometimes it really feels nice to call a horse a horse.

Ben Caxton

12-19-2012

Have you considered using a name other than "Vodka and Kush", when communicating with a potential employer?

Ayame Kiyoshi

12-19-2012

Morello, here is a question for you, if you may.

I am going to finish college, studying Public Administration and starting next year, I will focus on European Administration. My qualities include Proficiency in English ( Cambridge Proficiency Exam taken ) and extremely developed social skills, such as communication, leadership, positive in conversations and attitude, willing to listen and debate ideas in a calm and fashioned manner, etc. This ability is proven by speaking contests, for example.

Would I be accepted in, say, a Player Support position? Or is there anything else I would qualify for?

Bloodseek

Recruiter

12-19-2012

Quote:
IronStylus:
I'll echo a lot of what's been said here but for art.

Skills are one thing, but its the intangibles that count. Art might be one of those areas where you think, "I can draw pretty pictures! Therefore, job!" but not necesarilly. Let's assume someone comes at the art department with skills, let's say concept art skills. Excellent! Achievement 1 unlocked! Next up..

- What about ideas? Good technique and rendering is great, but without ideas, they're worthless.

- How about design? Skills are good, but unless you are a mindful designer, able to craft something unique, then those skills don't mean much.

- Can you design for our game? This isn't an FPS. This is an RTS, a FAST RTS. That means pretty much everything you're drawing on the front of that guy is pointless. Game context is everything.

- Are you collaborative? You can and must work with countless people, in multiple areas within art, and outside of art, from creative to game design, to marketing and community.

- Can you take feedback? Because HOLY **** are you going to get a lot of it! And guess what? It's a GOOD thing! Taking and giving feedback is a huge component of iteration.

- Can you communicate effectively? Thoughtful and thorough expression of your ideas to others, or in integrating feedback or explaining your process is paramount.

- Are you willing to learn, and are you willing to teach? We need brains. We need to eat brains, and we need to make brains more delicious. From ages 20-40 we're all learning here in concept. No one is the master yet everyone is the master at the same time. We are all perpetual students.

- Can you help others flourish? Helping Seniors be accountable and be the best facilitators they can be, while teaching Associates or Juniors how they can make the best of their skills and grow into leadership is impertative for our professional, personal, and craft growth.

So that's the short list. Anyone I interview gets that treatment and a lot more, from a lot of people. In the end we're investing in people. We're putting down a deposit that we're going to watch and help them grow for the better of the company and the collective group.

From Associate to Manager to Director we're all in this together, supporting eachother around the goal of "what's best for the game and what's best for the players?"

Riot happens to be the only place I've had this much exposure to this many smart people in this many specialized crafts. As to my knowledge there is really no other place that has this type of immersion with so many disciplines working so heavily with each other so closely. We absolutely demand the best, and we do in fact get it.

We have this saying that "People are our greatest asset" and it's true.

Thanks for this IronStylus... I'm in college for art right now and I've already improved a lot. However one thing that I've noticed in my school is the lack of creativity which I was really hoping to find here. I'm glad you guys take that into account.

Is there anything else you look for in the field of art? I personally would love to do concept art as I feel I have a knack for creating things.

Gewcebawcks

12-19-2012

Quote:
Kittyrina:
...or maybe they just didn't like your attitude.

My attitude wasn't poor until a week or two ago when my last resume was rejected. You see, this isn't the typical "I applied to Riot, and didn't get the job, QQ" reply. I have been trying to shape my career and work experience so I can apply to Riot for 3 years now.

I didn't feel entitled. I felt drive... a need to better myself, creatively, and professionally, to get into Riot Games.

I love this game, and Riot as a company. When I first discovered the game, had a year of QA under my belt. I applied. No call back. Figured I needed to build my work experience up more. A year and 3 promotions later, I applied again for QA. No luck. When that company downsized, and I was out of work during the economic crisis for 1.5 years, I applied again for QA... no reply. Nothing.

So I spent my time being creative while looking for work. I wrote countless treatments for tv shows, pitched them, collaborated with other creators, even have a show being shopped around at various networks.

Then got a job as a Project Manager/VPO in telecommunications. I now manage massive amounts of data, am responsible for hundreds of clients phone and data solutions, direct hundreds of sales teams, and ensure the company is running efficiently and effectively.

In addition, I've been steadily building a portfolio of champion concepts, summoner QoL changes, forum upgrades, brand recognition, summoner interaction, web shows, e-sports growth, merchandise expansion, and business development.

I felt like I was time to apply again. All the new experience should surely go miles, and finally overcome any issues regarding a lack of degree... I also felt completely prepared for any interview. I was ready to pitch any concept. I felt confident in myself as a prospect, and truly felt like I would be a perfect fit: bringing creative ideas, business experience, and a positive attitude to the company. Plus the massive number of concepts, and few actionable concepts, I would create for Riot would surely bring in enough revenue to cover the resources put into developing them, and hopefully post a profit while improving the game.

I was ready.

Before it even got submitted, I sent it to a Red. They told me I wasn't qualified for the position I was going to apply for. I was a little shocked at first... and once I learned I'd likely never attain the type of work experience they required for the position, I was ultimately crushed by the news.

After applying for a dream job of mine, and trying to better myself, solely for the goal of working at Riot... and being told you're not good enough... year... after year... after year...

I feel defeated. I'm even calling into question my ability to be a creator. So yes... my attitude is a little poor... now. Not then, and not during my time attempting to apply. I'm a bit crushed... and feeling lost with what direction to take my career now.

Good luck to the rest of you talented people, and congrats to those who make the grade. I envy your talents and abilities.

I'll just keep designing champs and concepts in my lil corner over here, and play LoL when I have time because it's what I love to do. It's just too bad I'll never get paid to do something I truly love.