Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Salenar

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
exceptional people are in the habit of behaving in a way that is exceptional.
This is one of my new favorite quotes of all time. It really does, in the simplest of terms, desribe what it is that makes people exceptional.

Alacor

12-19-2012

Quote:
Good question, let me try to do it justice.

Some of it is raw ability in your field (such as design, art, etc), but leadership and senior contributor are different paths, with different requirements. Let me talk a bit about that;

Imagine someone that is an amazing game designer, but doesn't like leading people and coaching them. This would lead them onto the path of Principle Designer. This path has them doing more and more difficult designs, but without being the core leader (though all design requires some leadership at Riot). Someone like Xypherous is a great example.

Alternatively, someone who is a great designer who also can coach, mentor, set direction and lead goes into leadership - jobs like Lead Champion/Lead Live Designer, Lead Designer, Design Director, or VP of Game Design. You do less game design in these roles, day-to-day, but handle strategic issues and spend more time with people than with scripts. I fall squarely into this category these days, as does Zileas.

Both roles require a mastery of craft, but they focus on different strengths and have different workdays. I spend a LOT of time in meetings or working with individual designers on game theory or helping them when they're in the weeds. A Principle designer (we have none yet since we have a pretty inexperienced team overall - many of our designers are first-time designers, including all the ones you guys know!) would be devising new systems or even entire game pitches, unraveling the toughest design challenges and other difficult problems, and implementing it themselves.

For Leadership, though, you have to have the ability to work strategically, collaborate like a mother****er, and look at the big picture. Additionally, I think it's a requirement to be able to motivate and inspire people, resolve conflict effectively and keep things objective and goal-oriented.
So basically, it's like in Knights of the Old Republic 2, where when you're a Sith you can become a Sith Master or a Sith Marauder?

That's what I'm taking away from this post.

Ardack

12-19-2012

What are the chances RIOT would ever higher someone remote?

Gewcebawcks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

I've applied for jobs 4 different jobs at Riot: from QA, to Senior Creative Designer... Over 10 years in technology/gaming industry.

No call backs. Was told "not qualified enough"

Riot doesn't want me? Fine... clearly they have something against hiring local, well trained, highly experienced, vastly creative, hard-working, dedicated employees....

RobotWizardMan

Global Network Ops Manager

12-19-2012
34 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
... - my preference would be to hire only people better than me
I completely agree with this statement Morello. The bar is constantly being raised at Riot, as it should be. The people on my team are a reflection of me and the work that I put in daily and have for the past couple years here. They are my legacy and I take pride in that fact.

theDreamer

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNate View Post
I completely agree with this statement Morello. The bar is constantly being raised at Riot, as it should be. The people on my team are a reflection of me and the work that I put in daily and have for the past couple years here. They are my legacy and I take pride in that fact.
Oh sweet!

An NOC manager.

...I have a million questions for you that you can't answer, but dammit, I'll ask something anyways:

Cisco, or Cisco?

Mèdusa

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewcebawcks View Post
I've applied for jobs 4 different jobs at Riot: from QA, to Senior Creative Designer... Over 10 years in technology/gaming industry.

Riot doesn't want me? Fine... clearly they have something against hiring local, well trained, highly experienced, vastly creative, hard-working, dedicated employees....
To be completely honest, this post is a prime example (in my opinion) of why they wouldn't hire you. You shouldn't be focused on how much you "deserve" or are "entitled" to the job, you should focus on what makes you stand out and how you can benefit the team.

This thread (to me) is more of a getting people on the right track, thread. Rather than focusing on not getting the job, focus on what you could do to get it. And that is something I'm sure they could help you with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardack View Post
What are the chances RIOT would ever higher someone remote?
From my research (Although I'd need a Riot to back this up), you need to be willing to relocate. Since I'm fairly sure all of their interviews (final ones anyway) happen in-office as well.

Kittyrina

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewcebawcks View Post

...or maybe they just didn't like your attitude.

CawkBeefSandwich

12-19-2012

Morello what's your requirements for a QA Engineer position?

Mèdusa

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CawkBeefSandwich View Post
Morello what's your requirements for a QA Engineer position?
http://www.riotgames.com/careers/qa-engineer