Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YuSira

12-18-2012

I recently applied for Riot, because I am highly interested in the game itself and have such a high love and devotion for the game...
Granted, I have applied for probably the easiest positions to get into (Player Support), and I have had a lot of experience with making customers happy through means of working in retail and the Starbucks shops inside.

I really am hoping someday they contact me. D:

Silversig

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuSira View Post
I recently applied for Riot, because I am highly interested in the game itself and have such a high love and devotion for the game...
Granted, I have applied for probably the easiest positions to get into (Player Support), and I have had a lot of experience with making customers happy through means of working in retail and the Starbucks shops inside.

I really am hoping someday they contact me. D:
Best of luck!

Kietsu

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
- Can you design for our game? This isn't an FPS. This is an RTS, a FAST RTS. That means pretty much everything you're drawing on the front of that guy is pointless. Game context is everything.
Love this one. Cohesive and identifiable designs aren't directly equated by how well you can draw.

On a note slightly related to the overall topic: I once had a university professor point out, with much amusement, that he'd seen a posting for some job written by rather unaware HR folks, looking for ___ years of experience with a technology that hadn't even existed that long.

...marketing, specifically, is not one of those sorts of things. While the playing field certainly has shifted considerably in 10 years, the only way to be sure you really know to how sell things is for you to have sold things. Sure, every once in a while someone with a great idea comes along (ARG marketing, for example), but on the whole, economics is a science, not an art.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

12-18-2012
23 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kietsu View Post
(ARG marketing, for example)
Oh how I love ARG stuff.. I can really sink my claws into it.

Grandolin

12-18-2012

What do we do if we have the drive but don't know how/where to get the experience? I just got graduated with a college degree, which is great - unfortunately, after having experienced what the industry was like, I realized near the very end of my education that the field I was studying in (music) was not something I wanted a job in, for various reasons. So now I'm stuck with a crappy minimum wage job and a useless degree without the knowledge or experience to do something I actually WANT to do.

I've always been interested in game design, and actually briefly considered applying at Riot a couple times, but never did because I knew I didn't have any experience. The problem is, I wasted so much time dedicating myself to something completely unrelated, I've missed opportunities to actually dive into design and have no clue where to go next. If there were openings for low-level positions where someone with the mind, talent, creativity, and drive for it (which I believe I have) could get into the action and learn along the way, that would be fantastic, but even the lowest level design-related job listing you guys have (Content Designer) requires 1+ years of experience. I can't exactly just go out and make a game like you guys say to - I've had to completely devote my life to music for the past 8-10 years and had no time to pick up the tools necessary for something that fits me better, but I so want to learn and be a part of a team like this. I'm stuck. D:

Edit: Hmm, perhaps a QA position would be right for me, since it's a similar basic idea. Only problem is I'm not gold-ranked because I always play with friends and never ranked soloqueue. I'm gonna give things a more thourough look in the next few days.

Ayriath

12-18-2012

I've kept hearing the phrase 'Top schools' and 'High GPA' tossed around and I'm a little curious on this matter.

Some people cannot afford to go to some of these top schools in the country, and this doesn't specifically mean because of cost. Some really amazingly bright people I've met who are programmers (Granted, they're all I know because I'm one too!) have come from simple places like...Well, let's take University of Houston-Clear Lake. Not a big school, not a top tier, but they've done amazing projects and just walking through and looking at some of their ideas (They have a hall where you can look through undergraduate/graduate completed projects of all kinds...Some of their games are pretty amazing.) they're just...Breathtaking.

Does it really make a difference on what college you go to compared to what your talents/hard work can put forth? Would you consider someone from a top school over someone from a school that isn't Tier 1 if they could do the work just as efficiently as said person from a top school? I've actually been very concerned about this for a while, and would love to know what your opinion on it is.

ArtemusD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

Really hoping I get a red on this.

I've posted this before, and I've said it some numerous times before, I'd hope that IronStylus or Lyte could answer this in specific, as they're the Rioters closest to my interests in fields.

I am a "Musician", this is in quotes because while I am - by definition - a paid musician at a recognized institution (a church), it's not some super famous gig that I'll be forever known for with some kind of weight to its title. In fact, it's the one position up from 'guitarist in coffee shop', just below the 'I play in a band that makes money'. I also spend a lot of my free time considering behaviors of others and how it can be improved through a specific method. No, none of it is professional in its own right, but it's really the closest to 'experience' I can muster.

As Lyte mentioned in his post, game companies aren't exactly on the market for amateur musicians or self-proclaimed 'volunteer' councilors. Riot's always been my favorite company, even a job that was filling out Support Tickets all day would be way cooler than what I'm currently doing. I've looked into your internships, but those require you to be /on site/, which is something I can't afford at the moment. What do I do?

@IronStylus: I summoned you for your best opinion from the artist point of view. While we're two different disciplines, it's safe to say that there's someone always better than you, which makes me ask myself "Why does this company want me when they have this and this?" Given Praeco's excellent work, I doubt you'll need a replacement for him any time soon, so my best bet is relying on my secondary hobby of writing. Things like lore and what not. Such things aren't listed on the Careers page, as the closest position (Writer) just states someone that archives words on a page. Which is neat and all, but exactly the glorious inundation of an artist.

Now of course I don't want to sound like 'I'm an artist AND THEREFORE I'M SPECIAL'. But it's the age-long question....what must I do to live the dream of doing one of the things I love, /for/ the thing I love (Riot <3 )?

Thanks.

OH NO ITS LU BU

12-18-2012

JUST LET ME BE YOUR IN-HOUSE CHEF. Why is this so hard...:[

I can make you the Greatest food.

To speak as an adult in the job world that loves what he does, I wouldn't have my job if I wasn't A. a person people get along with and B. imo, one of the most dedicated employees on the face of the earth. . Period. The only reason I even got a chance was because I became quick friends with every single staff member and regular at the bar until they couldn't go five minutes without thinking of me and my jokes and blah blah blah. That and I've been in a kitchen my entire life. Mom's a chef. Dad's chef level.
I love job requirements. They remind me of class requirements in an RPG.

Here's how I fit the bill
Videogame bar? Cool, I managed a Gamestop for 3 years and know everything about videogames.
Need someone that knows food? I have lived in a kitchen all my life.
Need someone with managerial expertise? I was in the army for 7 years as an Intelligence Analyst. Ran my own shop. Managing is easy peasy.
Degree(didn't need one)? But I got one. It's in criminal justice. If need be, I will kick someone in the chest, but thus far the occasion hasn't occurred.

I feel like you gotta tailor yourself to all occasions and bring a fanatical level of devotion to the job. RE: Ask OHMIKEGOODNESS about his first application to a game company. You give me a job description and I'll make myself into God's gift for the position if need be.

So don't shirk anything, learn everything, be enthusiastic and work your ****ing ass off and it'll pay off in the end. <3

JackAssCid

12-18-2012

funny things is most of riots founding members are the equivalent of little kids thats why they cant get their **** straight and get things properly balanced and get any real new content out we've gotten a remake of treeline, the fail that is dominion and it took them over 2 years to play the tutorial map available for regular play but only in customs. still no replays or voice communication

noiradle3

12-18-2012

riot hasn't been actively employing 'outsiders' for almost 9 months now, thus the ridiculous requirements for a job that mostly includes copying and pasting champions, nintendo rom style blowing in servers to fix them and pressing buttons. most of their new recruits are sent directly from tencent, and all current employees are required to learn chinese