Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Badministrator

12-18-2012

This thread is pretty great, wp Riot for answering questions and responding to criticism.

Please open a position for someone to make rap songs based on champions. I have demonstrated an implicit need to do this and I have a lot of experience.

Tiberius Dawn

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
do you even lift
I lift over 9000 pounds

FlyMoto

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flourescence View Post
Ya know, in order to accurately answer that question, the applicant would have to know what every Rioter is capable of, otherwise, chances are they're just gonna answer something you already have but they are unaware of it.
If you are confident with your experience and skill set, you can answer that question regardless of whether or not it is true. It's really just a way of asking what makes the individual not the standard. "I'm the one who developed __X__ mod for __Z__ game which has been reviewed by __Y__ as being a well thought out and balanced mod because..." You might not be the only one who has developed a mod at Riot, but I'd be willing to bet their ears are going to perk up a bit. If not one of them, I'm sure one of the other good game companies would.

TheLilHipster

12-18-2012

Must be motivated and confident, which is rare with today's introverted youth.
Experience in the industry breeds confidence, which in turns gets you the job opportunies;

Hopefully the stars aline and the day you rock up to that Riot interview, when you're face to face with impending doom, you impress, inspire and awe.

Experience and qualifications land interviewers, but it's the interview itself, the synergy for that fleeting 10 minutes, that decide your fate.

Its an art.

Count Swagula

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMoto View Post
There are millions of gamers out here who would love that job, and it's got a tiny part of the market.

You might need to accept that that's not what you are going to do in life, OR you need to make yourself amazing at it. If designing games is your true passion, show it. Come up with a new idea, analyze (in huge depth, numbers are important, referencing relevant sources) why it would be a good addition to the game. It doesn't have to be LoL.

I still think you'd be better showing it in action. You might hate programming but that's part of the deal. Some people want to play video games all day and get in to QA - and quickly realize QA is NOT just playing video games all day. Heck, I think it'd be a fun job to be a CEO of a multi-billion dollar corporation. I may even have some pretty good ideas for it... but no one is going to take me seriously if I have zero experience, and nothing to show for it.
Okay, but what tangible thing can I do ? After I graduate and want to design games, what should my course of action be?

Intelection

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Well, it's more about: if you want the right talent, make Riot awesome to work at so you can get them and more importantly, keep them.

Money's not why anyone gets into game development (there's way easier ways to make more money), but if money is a problem for someone, that can make them unhappy and less likely to be able to stay, even if they like the company otherwise.

Additionally, we ask a lot, we need to be prepared to give a lot
HEY MORELLO!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
board/showthread.php?t=2890443

Elsea

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Swagula View Post
Okay, but what tangible thing can I do ? After I graduate and want to design games, what should my course of action be?

Really, what Riot is saying is, why start after you graduate? Start now. Find a moddable game you like, or build a small game yourself and have it gather some feedback. If you really want to design games, why do you need a job to do it?

EDIT: K, read that you don't want to code, that's fine, unless Riot wants their designers to be able to code too. But then you'll have to find someone who does want to code, convince him you're a good designer, make something together, and then show it off. If it was me, I would just code myself, since you're already in computer programming. I guess you could also do a ton of design concepts for games until someone likes one of the concepts and decides they want to code it.

Techtonic

12-18-2012

This is all really quite helpful, I've been really wanting to join the commentator scene for pro gaming, I imagine the best way to go about that is by making videos and streaming to prove my knowledge and public speaking? Is there any other way I should go about showing myself off as a potential commentator?

CynicalGiant

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Swagula View Post
I don't want to program. I hate it >.<

I just want to design and make games fun.
What do you mean by design? You cant make champions without knowing how to code.

Elsea

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerMe View Post
This is all really quite helpful, I've been really wanting to join the commentator scene for pro gaming, I imagine the best way to go about that is by making videos and streaming to prove my knowledge and public speaking? Is there any other way I should go about showing myself off as a potential commentator?

Streaming sounds like a good idea. That way, you can provide tangible proof of your analytical skills while playing LoL. If you gather a sizeable fanbase who seem to agree with your analyzations and comments, that would probably be good as well.

But just be warned, there's a lot of streamers already, you'll have to work double to try to secure a spot there.