Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ciTiger

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiya View Post
Thirding this, as a terribly junior member of the Riot team. I'm obviously not in a place where I hire people like Lyte or Morello, but I can talk a little bit about what got me a job here.

Over the summer I had the wild idea to turn my passion for UI modification and coding into a position in the industry; so I did. I started working on the exceptionally rough UI for The Secret World, finding exploits, fixing bugs, creating value, and helping drive that fledgling coding community.

Long story short, I levelled up my resume and added a very concrete example of my love for games to my portfolio. Like most of you I had little projects here and there, but without putting the hours in to figure out what I could do and make it happen, I certainly wouldn't be on a team as chock-full-of-awesome as Riot is.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.. Why wait for the community API?
Well I developed an iOS App for the community and didn't managed to get it approved... Yet...
So about the community API is there going to come with some sort of permission for us to use LoL images and content for the Apps?

Best Regards

Colonel J

12-18-2012

Makes you wonder how people like Phreak get hired...

Mèdusa

12-18-2012

You guys need to realize, Riot doesn't hire lazy. I'm sure they are willing to help set you on the right path, but they simply can't do it for everyone. Like others have said if you're passionate about what you're doing, you'll have found a way to do it already (either inside or outside a company). You have to figure out what works for you, and what makes *THAT* so significant.

I plan on applying to Riot for marketing, but not until I have experience and tangible evidence that I am as talented as a resume or degree may look. For example, I'm going on a field study this summer to Brazil to study their culture and help market two of the biggest events in the world, the world cup and the Olympics. Now, I'm obviously not saying you need to do that, but find your niche and do something "WOW" worthy with it.

Edit: Also look into internships with the company (Or others for that matter), you don't need to start as a full-time employee to get even more experience and to work towards your goals.

Panteperu

12-18-2012

This is a great thread, i gotta thank all rioters for this, and my only wish is that i have knew this 10 years ago.

Mèdusa

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteperu View Post
This is a great thread, i gotta thank all rioters for this, and my only wish is that i have knew this 10 years ago.
It's never too late, Riot wasn't even in existence ten years ago. (To my knowledge(?))

BelligerentGnu

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Do some research

For example, Tribunal Reform Card data is easily aggregated.
I suppose you could trawl the forums for reform cards, but that would suffer from wild self-selection bias...

Although the cards are web pages, so maybe you could generate some kind script to gather the pages.

hmm.

Elsea

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
[I]

But guess what? In 99.9% of cases, I've heard the idea 200+ times already. However, if an applicant takes a great idea and shows me how they actually executed the idea and got tangible results--that's impressive. Students often ask me, "Well, how do I get a position in PBJ? No game developers are really hiring psychologists or neuroscientists so I can't get experience." Why do you have to be at a game studio to execute on a great idea? We're now in a day and age where you can create mods, build models, or run analyses that are all valuable to game developers--why not just do it and prove that you can execute on your great ideas?

Secondly, teams like player behavior don't need to hire anyone. We're looking for the best and we are willing to wait. I often ask applicants, "What do you bring to Riot that we currently don't have?" The reason I ask this question is because I want to know exactly what is the opportunity cost of not having this person at Riot. Am I worried if this person joins a competing game developer? Is there something we simply cannot create or build without this person?

Ya know, in order to accurately answer that question, the applicant would have to know what every Rioter is capable of, otherwise, chances are they're just gonna answer something you already have but they are unaware of it.

Panteperu

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mèdusa View Post
It's never too late, Riot wasn't even in existence ten years ago. (To my knowledge(?))
Yeah, i know its never too late.
Its just i was a real idiot back in my 17's, and reading something like this would have changed my point of view considerable.

Knowledge is the best weapon!

Ilvian

12-18-2012

ITT: Someone who hasn't been in the workforce for a long time, if ever.

Complaining about needing experience for a job or having to work long hours after being hired for said job... really?

My husband and I both have degrees and are currently working in retail. The job market sucks, get over it. Furthermore, if you can get a job, work your tail off to keep it.

Riot sounds like a great place to work for those in the right fields.

FlyMoto

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Swagula View Post
I don't want to program. I hate it >.<

I just want to design and make games fun.
There are millions of gamers out here who would love that job, and it's got a tiny part of the market.

You might need to accept that that's not what you are going to do in life, OR you need to make yourself amazing at it. If designing games is your true passion, show it. Come up with a new idea, analyze (in huge depth, numbers are important, referencing relevant sources) why it would be a good addition to the game. It doesn't have to be LoL.

I still think you'd be better showing it in action. You might hate programming but that's part of the deal. Some people want to play video games all day and get in to QA - and quickly realize QA is NOT just playing video games all day. Heck, I think it'd be a fun job to be a CEO of a multi-billion dollar corporation. I may even have some pretty good ideas for it... but no one is going to take me seriously if I have zero experience, and nothing to show for it.