Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hes op

12-18-2012

ridiculous only if you're still in kindergarten

Major Jae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

I have a few questions.
I personally am trying to get towards my goal of being a Game Designer.. What I want to do is work with code to create the abilities and such that characters do. Some of the stuff I do involves stuff such as creating WCS Classes for the WCSMod on CSS (years ago) and atm I am creating huge contraptions in minecraft..

At the moment I am enrolled at ITT for Network Systems Admin. But I know this wont get me to where I want to go.

What sort of steps can I take that will get me to where I want?

Some ideas I have had is create Counter Strike WCS server that I make all the races personally and handle the balance of all of them at the same time. Much like LoL does. If this were to be successful would this be a good thing to use as far as a game design job resume?

Vaekarion

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Do some research

For example, Tribunal Reform Card data is easily aggregated.
To give him another breadcrumb, I'm waiting for JD2020 to finish up that API so I can start working on a database

This is what I'm referring to.

I applied for Riot a few months ago and never heard back, so I ended up just starting a new job. However, it's going to give me lots of SQL experience, so I'm excited to hear about this API. Once they release it, I can build my database and people like you can begin analyzing trends and such.

Cliftonix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

well riot's the only company that doesn't require degree's...

LouisLeGros

12-18-2012

Quote:
*These views are mainly relevant to mid- to senior-level positions only.

Apparently my interviews are some of the most grueling experiences at Riot, so I was asked to voice some thoughts here. Every company, every school, every lab or club has an all-star or two. I think everyone has met someone like this before, where we reflect and say, "I don't care what I'm doing or where I have to go--I want to work with that person and learn from that person." Riot has teams of all-stars. So what does that mean?

It means it's not about just having great ideas. When you are working with industry experts in every discipline, everyone has amazing ideas. The next big idea for a game feature could come from QA, Game Design, or even Marketing and with so many smart people focused on the same goals, I hear a lot of great ideas. In a vast majority of interviews, I'll listen to dozens and dozens of great ideas.

"I would do this for League."
"I want to build this for Riot."
"I have a great idea for this new feature."

But guess what? In 99.9% of cases, I've heard the idea 200+ times already. However, if an applicant takes a great idea and shows me how they actually executed the idea and got tangible results--that's impressive. Students often ask me, "Well, how do I get a position in PBJ? No game developers are really hiring psychologists or neuroscientists so I can't get experience." Why do you have to be at a game studio to execute on a great idea? We're now in a day and age where you can create mods, build models, or run analyses that are all valuable to game developers--why not just do it and prove that you can execute on your great ideas?

Secondly, teams like player behavior don't need to hire anyone. We're looking for the best and we are willing to wait. I often ask applicants, "What do you bring to Riot that we currently don't have?" The reason I ask this question is because I want to know exactly what is the opportunity cost of not having this person at Riot. Am I worried if this person joins a competing game developer? Is there something we simply cannot create or build without this person?

You'll notice that at this point I haven't mentioned degrees or experience. Sure, degrees and experience are correlated with intelligence and knowledge, but we all know it's not everything. Without those things, you need to have created enough awesome and show enough tangible value in your projects to the point where an interview later, I'm thinking: "We cannot afford to lose this person--they have to be a Rioter."
Imagine all of the cosplaying opportunities you wouldn't be able to fulfill without Taco Storm.

Joenz

12-18-2012

RIOT would hire me in a heartbeat with my data analysis background, but I heard they don't pay very well, and CA has a crazy cost of living. No thanks!

Best Lee NZ

12-18-2012

No. Because Riot Games is owned and operated by Singed.

davin

Senior User Researcher

12-18-2012
18 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
But guess what? In 99.9% of cases, I've heard the idea 200+ times already. However, if an applicant takes a great idea and shows me how they actually executed the idea and got tangible results--that's impressive. Students often ask me, "Well, how do I get a position in PBJ? No game developers are really hiring psychologists or neuroscientists so I can't get experience." Why do you have to be at a game studio to execute on a great idea? We're now in a day and age where you can create mods, build models, or run analyses that are all valuable to game developers--why not just do it and prove that you can execute on your great ideas?
This bears repeating. The people who really rise to the top of the pile are those that are doing what they're doing because they want nothing more than to do that. Maybe it's more like they HAVE to do it, that's how bad they want it.

Other psychologists often ask about how you get to do research in games. Of course, the answer is simple: You do research in games. The world is flush with data and opportunity. Find a way to do what you want to do, show people that you're passionate and talented and driven, and the positions will be there.

AdventHawk7

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Feeling like you're entitled to anything in the workforce is a way to never get hired anywhere good.
I agree, places like Walmart and Fast Food Restaurants are more like summer jobs for Teens, which is why most job openings for them are low wages and part time. Pursuing these places as if it were a career expecting it to pay off big some day is just a fantasy dream.

You could, how-ever, work at these places for a good while, then, someday bring it up to the big guys up top and ask if there's any jobs available to run your own Walmart or Fast Food joint, and that in itself could lead you to what most are looking for in a career.

People get out of High School or College and expect a job or career to be handed to them, when they should really be focusing on making it themselves. Game designer looking for an opening? Create it! Business degree with bachelors degree looking to manage a business? Create one! etc. etc.

Damiya

Technical Analyst

12-18-2012
19 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
This bears repeating. The people who really rise to the top of the pile are those that are doing what they're doing because they want nothing more than to do that. Maybe it's more like they HAVE to do it, that's how bad they want it.
Thirding this, as a terribly junior member of the Riot team. I'm obviously not in a place where I hire people like Lyte or Morello, but I can talk a little bit about what got me a job here.

Over the summer I had the wild idea to turn my passion for UI modification and coding into a position in the industry; so I did. I started working on the exceptionally rough UI for The Secret World, finding exploits, fixing bugs, creating value, and helping drive that fledgling coding community.

Long story short, I levelled up my resume and added a very concrete example of my love for games to my portfolio. Like most of you I had little projects here and there, but without putting the hours in to figure out what I could do and make it happen, I certainly wouldn't be on a team as chock-full-of-awesome as Riot is.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.. Why wait for the community API?