Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KiteAzure

12-18-2012

Im only 16 and I wish I could get a job at riot :c

And it was K

12-18-2012

So, NMST, if someone only recently had their interest in design piqued, but is otherwise clueless about, well, everything related to this industry, how would you suggest they go about gaining experience?

Somehow I don't think watching Extra Credits, playing LoL, and browsing the LoL forums is enough.

ZeroKuno

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berri Bunny View Post
Suggesting a sports coach is the equivalent of a game designer might be the funniest idea ever.
How many more pages of attention seeking do you need until you call it a day?
I am just curious to know the level of stupidity of someone.

Morello

Lead Designer

12-18-2012
10 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by And it was K View Post
So, NMST, if someone only recently had their interest in design piqued, but is otherwise clueless about, well, everything related to this industry, how would you suggest they go about gaining experience?

Somehow I don't think watching Extra Credits, playing LoL, and browsing the LoL forums is enough.
That helps. If you have the "talent chops" for design, then the best way to demonstrate it is to make a well-played mod for a game, an indie project or something else like that.

Additionally, other ways to show analysis and detailed, engineered problem-solving apporaches are good. For example, Jatt could be a designer if he wanted because he proved this ability both through his time as a QA analyst (entry-level position) and his Shoutcasting analytics.

I started in QA (not at Riot, though) as well, and then learned about design from both external and internal sources.

Hikazz

12-18-2012

live next to clayton to lol i barely dont meet the requirments tho =(

Montag

Player Experience Manager

12-18-2012
11 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasuna View Post
Since we're here, whats a good way to gain experience while in college? Going soon for a major in computer science and i want to be prepared for when i graduate.
Do things. As many things as you possibly can. The more things you have shipped and finished, the more you'll know about the process as a whole, and the more you can prove to someone else that you're totally awesome.

Actually, let me put this in computer science terms. Shipping something -- that is, finishing -- is like compiling your program. You don't know for sure if something works until you compile it. You can go through your code line by line, you can print it out, you can wave your hands around and say it runs great, but you can't prove it until you compile it. That's why you need to do things you can show off. You need to prove you can really be as awesome as you say you can be.

Ghostface Ki11ah

12-18-2012

Hey Morello, kind of on topic, I am going to try out for an internship, but right now the link on the riot games webpage to apply is not working. I was just hoping you could let me know if there is somewhere else I should go, or if it is something that is still being fixed with the new webpage layout.

Thanks!

Also, it would be awesome if you could give me some insight into what I should focus on in my application, seeing as how I would love to intern in the design department.

RyuuMasken

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Education and experience are valuable only in context - certain roles need a deep understanding of subjects of conventions (even if the desire is to break those conventions) and others don't. In design, we often hire high talent/low experience for most Associate jobs.
I now feel even more motivated to continue beefing up my resume any way I can.

Morello, if you had any advice to give for someone aiming at Game Analyst, what would it be?

Morello

Lead Designer

12-18-2012
12 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuuMasken View Post
I now feel even more motivated to continue beefing up my resume any way I can.

Morello, if you had any advice to give for someone aiming at Game Analyst, what would it be?
Widely and deeply played are important - not being a dick is important (and in many companies, a much bigger problem...). Our bar for QA is quite a bit higher at Riot, but generally being articulate and a serious gamer can get your foot in the door for QA at most places.

And it was K

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
That helps. If you have the "talent chops" for design, then the best way to demonstrate it is to make a well-played mod for a game, an indie project or something else like that.

Additionally, other ways to show analysis and detailed, engineered problem-solving apporaches are good. For example, Jatt could be a designer if he wanted because he proved this ability both through his time as a QA analyst (entry-level position) and his Shoutcasting analytics.

I started in QA (not at Riot, though) as well, and then learned about design from both external and internal sources.

Thanks <3 I love you.

A close friend actually pitched an idea for his own indie game a while back and he actually wants my help. Maybe helping him here will be a step in the right direction